Who'd be a top guy if they came along today?

HarmonicGenerator

14 hours ago, PunkStep said:

No way. If Kane debuted today, in his 1997 getup, he'd be laughed out of the building. Nobody would take that shit seriously in this day. Look at the Ascension.

You're probably right that Kane was of its time and wouldn't be taken seriously, but the Ascension look shit. Kane's design is much better.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Surely Right To Censor only worked because all the popular stuff on the show at the time was tables, tits and middle-fingers. That's how the group got such nuclear heat. Nowadays what would they be censoring? 

RTC was a brilliantly intelligent bit of booking for precisely that reason - there was pressure on WWE to cut back on certain aspects of their programming, and to "censor" certain characters, so doing that and placing the on-screen explanation on a heel stable is inspired. It's the sort of thing the Authority should have been perfect for, rather than fucking about with tired heel boss tropes and so on.

Where do we think the ceiling would have been for RTC? They were pretty much ruined in their programme with Undertaker, who always seemed an odd choice to feud with them as, even in his biker days, wasn't exactly a character that needed "censoring" - I'm guessing they got the feud because Charles Wright was in the group. A feud with Steve Austin would have made perfect sense, but I can't picture Austin in 2000 selling for Bull Buchanan or letting Stevie Richards get heat on him - the group could have done with a breakout star to get the big matches. I remember at the time thinking there was going to be some big reveal of a mastermind behind it all, though I don't know if that was even hinted at or if I just decided it in my head.

As for what RTC would do now...yeah, there's not real anything to censor. And while WWE have, for years, booked themselves as the heel and openly mocked its own fans for having the audacity to watch the product, a heel stable saying, "the product sucks and we're the reason" probably wouldn't have a long shelf life. Besides, the product is PG and that's not changing, so what victory could a babyface get over a group that have, effectively, already won?

If the Ascension were built like Kane or LOD they'd maybe stand a chance, but despite being reasonably big guys by normal standards the comparisons those outfits invite make them look like skinny cosplayers.

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If the Ascension were built like Kane or LOD they'd maybe stand a chance, but despite being reasonably big guys by normal standards the comparisons those outfits invite make them look like skinny cosplayers.

Yep!  That was my problem with the Ascension being called up in their current guise.  Granted, they were a monster team in NXT, but they lack the subsequent size to be main roster steamrollers.  The FCW Ascension was pretty good, with the whole gothic undertones, and that may have worked out better for them now.  Plus, they have an underrated comedic side if their Southpaw personas are anything to go by.  

Anyhoo, to get back on topic before I completely derail the thread, I think Ric Flair would still be a top guy if he came along today.  I'm biased, because he is in my personal top three, but he STANDS OUT in all areas I can think of and lives his gimmick.  

On 30 August 2017 at 10:28 AM, BomberPat said:

RTC was a brilliantly intelligent bit of booking for precisely that reason - there was pressure on WWE to cut back on certain aspects of their programming, and to "censor" certain characters, so doing that and placing the on-screen explanation on a heel stable is inspired. It's the sort of thing the Authority should have been perfect for, rather than fucking about with tired heel boss tropes and so on.

Where do we think the ceiling would have been for RTC? They were pretty much ruined in their programme with Undertaker, who always seemed an odd choice to feud with them as, even in his biker days, wasn't exactly a character that needed "censoring" - I'm guessing they got the feud because Charles Wright was in the group. A feud with Steve Austin would have made perfect sense, but I can't picture Austin in 2000 selling for Bull Buchanan or letting Stevie Richards get heat on him - the group could have done with a breakout star to get the big matches. I remember at the time thinking there was going to be some big reveal of a mastermind behind it all, though I don't know if that was even hinted at or if I just decided it in my head.

As for what RTC would do now...yeah, there's not real anything to censor. And while WWE have, for years, booked themselves as the heel and openly mocked its own fans for having the audacity to watch the product, a heel stable saying, "the product sucks and we're the reason" probably wouldn't have a long shelf life. Besides, the product is PG and that's not changing, so what victory could a babyface get over a group that have, effectively, already won?

This is a great post. I think the nearest you could get these days would be the reverse, so somebody or a group saying that ratings have dropped because things are too boring and to spice things up a bit e.g. hardcore matches etc but of course WWE are far too safe these days and the gimmick matches are too clean/not as unique these days. But would be cool to have a group kind of go against the new WWE. But not sure how that would work in practise as your practically asking the girls to become Divas, for bigger bumps, bleeds etc, it would almost be ECW again in the sense of how they would want the product to look. Unless you had a group trying to be old school WWE so a woman who wants to be a Diva, a guy who wants to take mad bumps, bleed and be controversial, a tag team always getting weapons out etc. 

• Paid Members

The only way a RTC-type gimmick would get over nowadays would be a "PC Brigade" stable, doing things to parodical levels that the Trumpers rage-wank about, like transgender bathrooms and gay rights, feeding into all the alt-right bollocks, and that would just be horrendous.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

The only way a RTC-type gimmick would get over nowadays would be a "PC Brigade" stable, doing things to parodical levels that the Trumpers rage-wank about, like transgender bathrooms and gay rights, feeding into all the alt-right bollocks, and that would just be horrendous.

I wanted to do the opposite of that gimmick at some point; to be the guy complaining about "political correctness gone mad" and so on, but realised very quickly that I would be running the risk of it being unintentionally perceived as a babyface gimmick...politics in wrestling, wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick.

Archived