Who'd be a top guy if they came along today?

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Apologies if we've had this topic recently. I can't remember things.

I decided to watch an old Summerslam or two this afternoon and settled first on 1999, which reminded me how over X-Pac was at that time. In the modern day where being smaller and more athletic is more likely than ever to get you to the top of the card - especially with two top titles - you'd have to think this period of Waltman would be right up there today.

Before him, though, Ken Shamrock made an appearance, and again I had to think in today's world, getting a big time UFC guy into WWE would be a one way ticket to the main event.

I can't imagine either of them would have had to toil away in NXT first either.

Which other mid-card guys from times gone by might have fared better if they'd debuted right now?

Someone mentioned it recently, but Rick Rude would take the scene by storm today or at any other time since his injury. An evergreen machine, if you will.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Before him, though, Ken Shamrock made an appearance, and again I had to think in today's world, getting a big time UFC guy into WWE would be a one way ticket to the main event.

Ding ding ding ding. Winner. There will no doubt be some excellent answers relating to guys that would be massive players in today's WWE as a consequence of how the company and wrestling in general has changed, this relates to how the world outside the bubble has changed. UFC popularity today is insane compared to Shamrocks day when it was a really niche interest that pockets of American society were trying to get banned, and make no mistake, in a time when Conor and Mayweather is as big a deal as it is, a star in the Octagon the level of Shamrock 97 would waltz into main events today.

I think if '97 Kane debuted in '17 he would be unstoppable, as he originally was and should be. The only problem was they stopped using him as a monster. He should have been unbeatable for a whiiiiiiiiiile. Braun Strowman is the next best thing right now, but Kane with the gimmick and look would be top dog nowadays

See, I'm not sure about Kane. In that time, they could get away with the "brother" thing, but fake family members in this environment doesn't fly. Maybe there's a bit of grace with it since it was linked to Taker, but I can see it being a bigger turnoff now than then. Whereas Braun, given the same push but with less built-in story, works for this era.

• Paid Members

If we're talking just WWE, then immediately the ones that come to mind are guys who I think everybody acknowledges probably would've been top even in their own eras had there not been such insane competition. Namely Ricky Steamboat and Dusty Rhodes. Steamboat certainly had the athleticism, and had a certain natural physical babyface charisma that would've more than made up for his lack of mike skills. I understand that Rhodes debuted in the WWF when he was pretty banged up and probably couldn't sustain a main-event run, but he had a pretty low-impact style, and could talk like no other - in this regard, a reverse Steamboat, I guess (yes, I'm aware that "reverse Steamboat" sounds like some really disgusting sexual act).

If we're talking their actual debuts as new faces, then either guy would be in the main event within a year, I reckon. Certainly in Dusty's case.

EDIT: When I think about it, there could've been a case for Larry Zbyzsko even as late as the very early 90s. Solid, believable work, good physique, pretty good on the mike; just ditch the James Belushi hair and he'd be fine.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

D'lo is the first one to pop in my head. At his pre-Droz accident prime, he had proper star quality and confidence in himself. Plus, he had great entrance music and finishers. Bray Wyatt probably would end him, like, but he'd have a chance.

Ooh, good shout. D'Lo was brilliant, and, to be fair, I think people saw him as a top guy in waiting even back in his own era. That Droz accident really did put the mockers on him, didn't it? Poor guy.

Raven in his prime... though the only thing holding him back is his relative lack of athleticism compared to today's guys. As far as everything else goes he's pretty much got it... character, look, promo, psychology etc

Being a Raven mark I might be a bit biased, maybe he wouldn't be THE top guy but he'd certainly be in the mix.

Dr D David Schultz, more so in the Attitude Era because his gimmick wouldn't fit into today's WWE or at least be truncated to such a level he'd just be a parody of Stone Cold. Say you had Austin, the Loose Cannon and Dr D you could have run a great angle with those three in the Attitude Era. Surprised Dave didn't turn up in ECW since his gimmick was tailor made for the promotion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 14/08/2017 at 6:45 PM, Love-Wilcox said:

Raven in his prime... though the only thing holding him back is his relative lack of athleticism compared to today's guys. As far as everything else goes he's pretty much got it... character, look, promo, psychology etc

Being a Raven mark I might be a bit biased, maybe he wouldn't be THE top guy but he'd certainly be in the mix.

To be fair, Raven had a decent level of athletic in-ring when it suited, it's just that style never suited the Raven character. As Scotty Flamingo, he looked in good shape and had a fairly athletic style.

• Paid Members
On 14/08/2017 at 8:26 AM, big7thletter said:

I think if '97 Kane debuted in '17 he would be unstoppable, as he originally was and should be. The only problem was they stopped using him as a monster.

No way. If Kane debuted today, in his 1997 getup, he'd be laughed out of the building. Nobody would take that shit seriously in this day. Look at the Ascension.

Archived