Greatest TV Finales

Carbomb

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It may all be based on me doing children's television as my dissertation but even today watching it back, the finale of Boy Meets World makes me cry like a oversized baby.

I watched the entire thing when I was a kid due to Disney always showing repeats of stuff as they didn't have as much original content so you could catch up on the story arc even if you were just born when it started. But the final scene with all the major actors grown up in one final lesson with Feeney admitting he loved them after they left before dismissing the class one final time was such a perfect ending to a kids TV show and probably one where a lot of the audience had grown up so much with it as well and were about to embark on their own new journey.

• Paid Members

I was just about to post Spartacus. I can't think of many moments that are more devastating but beautiful then when a dying Spartacus says "Spartacus...that is not my name."  A brutal reminder that the man he became to fight and die for freedom isn't who he really was at all in his heart.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, herbie747 said:

It's the cheesiest & dumbest thing I've ever seen.

The police & FBI all chasing him in a perfect formation for 30 minutes, as he drives along at a tepid 20 mph. The motorcycle cops were driving so slow they were having trouble balancing their bikes.
The stupid pose he does before he crashes.
The crow flying overhead.
The truck driver happens to be a guy his mother just met.
The crappy CGI of the accident itself.

Lame and shit on every possible level.

16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

And the music, don't forget the music.

16 hours ago, herbie747 said:

Yeah, the music was fucking bent.

Going to have to agree to disagree, too much to address there. I thought it was great. Liked the music too.

• Paid Members
Just now, herbie747 said:

Fair enough @Carbomb

At least we agree on MMA for the most part. :-)

Troo dat.

BTW, a heartily-resounding second for those who said Blackadder Goes Forth. That really was a heart-wrenching ending, made all the more so by being completely unexpected in a comedy series.

• Moderators
On 13/08/2017 at 0:02 AM, Frankie Crisp said:

I saw it the other way. He'd been chipping away at Brent for the entirety of the show and not once did he get anything back other than a desperate giggle or beg for affirmation. It was the first time Brent stood up to him and as a bully, he just didn't know how to take it. I thought it was very well done.

I will disagree this one to the death. I know several Finchys. And I've seen it happen, all they do is do reeves and mortimer handbag "oooooh", call them a poof and get nastier. Doesn't faze.

• Moderators

In before Sergio - the last two episodes of 30 Rock, which are essentially a two part finale, are just note perfect. It's amazing how they manage to satisfy every want for the ending you could have, make it genuinely moving without being mawkish, and all without feeling contrived or obvious.

On 12 August 2017 at 6:53 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

This would have been a one fool and one horse race if Del Boy and Rodders hadn't gone and lost their millions.

It's hard to disagree with this. Did find the Gary episode amusing though, not sure if you could get away with that these days though. 

On 12 August 2017 at 5:53 PM, FattHardy said:

I know it gets lots of shit but I loved the Lost ending.

Everything from the story climaxing, the characters all getting closure, and of course Michael Giacchino's amazing score was perfect, and even after multiple viewings there are still a few bits that get me.

I liked the Lost ending as well, I can see why some didn't but as a show watched at the time over six or so years, I did feel as though I had to see how the show ended but did like the closure and the journey throughout the show. 

Season 1 and Season 2 were also cracking I thought with two very good series endings (although I quite enjoyed most of the series endings and openings with LOST).

• Paid Members

The Young Ones had a great ending, and one that left a fair whack of an impact on me.

I saw it at such a young age too, that it haunted me for a long time afterwards as I was such a big fan of the show and it’s the first show I really remember obsessing over. I distinctly remember my da explaining to me when he turned on the little air blast heater in my room and put me to bed that even though the bus crashed, it would have turned into a boat and taken them on a summer holiday,  I desperately wanted to believe him but I knew the chap was codding me.

Mentioned briefly but the Shield's ending is probably the best ending to a TV series ever. The way threads from the entire run of the show come together in those last few episodes (in particular the reveal of the inciting incident to characters who'd been in the dark about it all through the show) was incredible. There are so many moments that felt 7 years in the making and the ends for each member of the Strike Team are perfect (narratively speaking). Yet despite the fact the whole thing is a tragedy and you know an unhappy ending is inescapable you're still somewhat rooting for it not to reach it's inevitable conclusion. A conclusion which still manages to shock...

Archived