UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs Branch - Sep 16

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I haven't got round to changing up my default search engine from Bing to Google yet, and searching David Branch on Bing just now threw up this result. Check the Wikipedia sidebar:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=david+branch&filters=ufn%3a"David+Branch"+sid%3a"22883dad-cf2c-fc9a-89d3-1851b51ab33b"&form=EDGTCT&qs=MB&cvid=27ce1f21eb654e2d9c3c0450a8a5a87b&cc=GB&setlang=en-US

Someone's messing around.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

It's not often you see a tapout due to strikes, is it? A bit surprised Branch lost that way.

Yeah. I know you're sensible and have posted at length about tapping out and doing the smart thing rather than "going out like a man!!!" ... so I'm not trying to make a point to the contrary when I say that he didn't really have much choice. Flattened right out, mounted, minute on the clock, taking heavy shots.

Mike Perry strikes me as the type that will never be more than a gate keeper type fighter. He seems too reckless to be capable of consistently beating anyone in the top 5.

• Paid Members

Perry might be my new favourite fighter. Everyone needs to learn from his post fight promo. They didn't even have to ask him for a name, he already had one ready. Compare that to all the "whoever they put in front of me," thickos. This man gets it.

20 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Yeah. I know you're sensible and have posted at length about tapping out and doing the smart thing rather than "going out like a man!!!" ... so I'm not trying to make a point to the contrary when I say that he didn't really have much choice. Flattened right out, mounted, minute on the clock, taking heavy shots.

Yeah, he was smart to do that, but I just didn't think he was the type. In the build up show he played up the whole "tough Brownsville upbringing, throwing hands and taking sucka's out" image. Usually dudes like that don't tap to strikes. In fact, usually guys like him are the ones who remonstrate with the referee after he stops the fight due to unanswered strikes.

But yeah, it was smart. Don't think the ref was far away from stopping it though.

• Paid Members

What a fun show that was. 

I've seen the main card and Hall/Jotko and there was only one boring fight, the main card opener, and with it involving a late replacement that wasn't a surprise. A great, emtertaining show all round. 

Urijah Hall did brilliantly in coming from behind to score that massive KO. A nice post fight promo from him as well.

Gillespie vs Gonzales was a blinder. One of the fights of the year. 

I had Lombard winning the first two rounds, but Hamilton did great to get the stoppage in the third when Hector was tiring. It's a nice name to have on your record, even if Lombard is long past his best. A few years ago I could have seen Lombard being cut, but with so many shows these days he's a useful guy to have around to try and feed a name fighter to people you want to move up the rankings. He's in the same spot as Hendricks these days. 

Mike Perry did the inevitable and sent Reyes to dream street. The size difference was pretty huge, but it kept Perry active, and whilst he won't be getting Robbie Lawler, he was damn right to call him out to try and leap frog the division. Lawler vs RDA, with the winner fighting Woodley, winner of Thompson/Masvidal vs the loser of Lawler vs RDA, Covington vs Maia is booked I think? Put Usman with Perry and the winner of Till/Cerrone against Ponzinibhio. Really though, any fights in that WW top 15, between any of those guys, are interesting fights to make. 

Disappointed that Branch didn't get the W against Rockhold. Luke didn't look good in the stand up exchanges but he's a monster when it comes to grappling against the cage and on the mat. Rockhold vs Yoel may well be the way to go now if the winner of Bisping vs GSP is still set for a unification battle against Whittaker. Who could be next for Weidman?

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Perry might be my new favourite fighter. Everyone needs to learn from his post fight promo. They didn't even have to ask him for a name, he already had one ready. Compare that to all the "whoever they put in front of me," thickos. This man gets it.

what about Gillespie's "im gonna go fishing" promo :) actually thought that came off pretty good though, seemed a good dude.

It really is unbelievable how many fighters dont take advantage of that post-fight interview though. It can literally be the difference between having your next fight on the prelims or being a main event (see Darren Till).

• Paid Members

You need look no further than Mickey Gall. Every opportunity he's gotten so far has simply been because he's had the balls to ask for it. He got the Punk fight because he called him out on 'Looking For A Fight?' He got the Northcutt fight because he called him out after beating Punk. It wasn't like he came in with loads of hype or they had big plans for him. He got what he got off his own back. If you don't ask you don't get etc. If there's someone in the division who's higher up than you and you think you can beat them, and the win will move you along in your career, what have you got to lose by calling them out in your post-fight interview? Worst case scenario is they say no. Or you might actually get the fight you asked for. 9 times out of 10, if the callout is sensible/realistic (not like that time Phil Davis called out Anderson Silva) you'll get the fight. Even if the UFC weren't planning on that fight, the fighter you called out will probably want the fight out of pride/ego because you offered him/her out. 

I know it's not natural to every fighter to be a good interview and that's fine, but have something ready that you want from your next fight. Be it a certain opponent, a certain upcoming card you want to get on etc. The worst thing you can do is say 'I'll take whatever they give me'. 

• Paid Members

Yep, look at Usman too. He got on the mic and demanded a top ranked fighter, its got people talking and he'll likely get close to what he's asking for next time around.

Fighters need to help the matchmakers do their job for them otherwise they end up buried down the card to little fan-fair in a fight they dont want.

• Paid Members

On this card we got two fine examples on the good and bad way to go about it. Rockhold made me want to see the fight less because he called out Bisping in such a dull way. You don't need to be a silver tongued devil, but at least do so with hint of passion - tis the fight game, after all.

• Paid Members

It's pointless as well because he's calling out Bisping but he's not getting that fight. The GSP fight is booked. If Bisping beats GSP he's defending against Whittaker. If Bisping loses to GSP you have to assume the UFC will want to do that Bisping vs Romero fight. Then there's the outside chance of that fucking Bellew thing actually happening. 

I don't even think I want to see Bisping vs Rockhold 3. Usually, I'd be all for the rubber match because leaving it at 1-1 feels like unfinished business, like turning a film off before the end or something. But fuck it, this Bisping vs Rockhold film has already had the ending I wanted. I'd be quite happy for Bisping to never give him the third fight and just keep trolling him. Bisping should just keep saying the trilogy is already done and that it's already 2-1 to him after that sparring session that started the bad blood, where Bisping became the 'unofficial Strikeforce middleweight champ' and all that. I hope Bisping ends up retiring without the rubber match happening, forever having the last laugh. 

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I know it's not natural to every fighter to be a good interview and that's fine, but have something ready that you want from your next fight. Be it a certain opponent, a certain upcoming card you want to get on etc. The worst thing you can do is say 'I'll take whatever they give me'. 

Yeah, I'd agree with that. You don't need to be Mr Personality and a shit-talker to win a fight and call someone out. You don't even have to do it in a disrespectful manner, but you should have someone you want to fight. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It's pointless as well because he's calling out Bisping but he's not getting that fight. The GSP fight is booked. If Bisping beats GSP he's defending against Whittaker. If Bisping loses to GSP you have to assume the UFC will want to do that Bisping vs Romero fight. Then there's the outside chance of that fucking Bellew thing actually happening. 

I don't even think I want to see Bisping vs Rockhold 3. Usually, I'd be all for the rubber match because leaving it at 1-1 feels like unfinished business, like turning a film off before the end or something. But fuck it, this Bisping vs Rockhold film has already had the ending I wanted. I'd be quite happy for Bisping to never give him the third fight and just keep trolling him. Bisping should just keep saying the trilogy is already done and that it's already 2-1 to him after that sparring session that started the bad blood, where Bisping became the 'unofficial Strikeforce middleweight champ' and all that. I hope Bisping ends up retiring without the rubber match happening, forever having the last laugh. 

i think Rockhold basically put himself in a position to step in if GSP falls injured, it'll probably work too because Romero's out of the running at the moment.

Archived