UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs Branch - Sep 16

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it just always feels like his heart isn't really in it. I reckon David's on the money, and that it's just something Hall sticks with because it's paying him decent money or he'd rather do this than work a 9-5 regular or whatever. 

He's shown flashes of what he's capable of and that makes it all the more frustrating. The comeback KO win over Gegard Mousasi will probably be the absolute peak of his career when it's all said and done. And even then he was losing handily before busting out the Tekken shit. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

...another thing worth mentioning is that if Hall hadn't landed that spinning heel kick on TUF he never would have had the expectations to begin with. That kick pretty much set the bar impossibly high from the start, Hall hasn't actually done that bad in his UFC career, he's mixed wins and losses and probably found his level from the outset, he's a mid-carder at best, he just so happened to land that kick before his run started. You can chuck Phillip Nover in the same bracket.

• Paid Members

That is what set the bar too high definitely. That's when he started getting compared to Anderson Silva and all that silliness. 

I never really bought into the Nover hype at all though. He looked good on TUF but it was always Efrain Escudero on that season who was doing the business by beating up on that season's dickheads like Junie Browning and his sidekick Shane Nelson. Then he dominated hype job Nover at the finale as well. 

Efrain as well though, there's another TUF prospect who fell way short. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

...another thing worth mentioning is that if Hall hadn't landed that spinning heel kick on TUF he never would have had the expectations to begin with. That kick pretty much set the bar impossibly high from the start, Hall hasn't actually done that bad in his UFC career, he's mixed wins and losses and probably found his level from the outset, he's a mid-carder at best, he just so happened to land that kick before his run started. You can chuck Phillip Nover in the same bracket.

100%. It was mental people were talking him up as the 2nd coming of Silva because that kick was cool/brutal.

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

only just saw UFC 215 but wanted to say how good the little 2 minute promo they showed there was for this show, cracking little promo piece. There's a Countdown knocking about, im gonna have to watch it.

The countdown show is good, it gives an excellent insight into David Branch and where he comes from. It's actually hard not to root for the guy after seeing it.

• Paid Members

Just listened to David Branch talking about this fight on the MMA Hour. He's well fired up. I like it. 

"He's a tough opponent. I respect him enough to have trained for him the way that I trained for him and that's about the most respect that this motherfucker's gonna get from me. He's not getting no more respect. I already given him enough respect by training for him as hard as I have, you know? That is respect enough. That is respect enough. When I go in there I'm gonna be very, very disrespectful to him."

• Paid Members

Another quote from Branch on the MMA Hour, with a little pop at Dana;

"I'm concerned about the motherfucking W. My record is 21-3. And you think that's attributed to me giving a fuck about how people feel about me fighting? Hell no! I'm going out there to fucking win. I'm not a circus elephant. I'm not one of these fucking kids out there, trying to please some other motherfucker who never fucking balled up his fist in his life to do a god damn thing."

I really hope he beats Rockhold tonight. It's a bit of a weird one really. As good as Branch is, Rockhold is definitely his toughest opponent to date. But there's that x-factor of Rockhold coming off a first round KO loss to Bisping followed by a long layoff to consider as well. 

Mike Perry is still on the card, Alex Reyes is stepping in for Alves. 

And that Dmitriy Sosnovsky bloke isn't fighting Justin Ledet now. Completely missed that pullout, Ledet is fighting someone called Azunna Anyanwu now instead. 

And how much of a flop has Hector Lombard been in the UFC? He's on this card and nobody gives a single fuck. He's fallen hard over the last few years. The losses to Hendo, Magny, USADA etc have really seen his stock plummet. 

• Paid Members

I think another thing to consider with Rockhold is that he's also been really into his new-found-ish modelling career, and there's been a suggestion he's enjoying it to the point where he may not care if his MMA career ends tomorrow - don't blame him, get just as much money and possibly even more attention for about 5% of the effort, stress, and physical damage, but we saw with Rumble recently that, if you're mentally checked out, that can be the clincher.

Believe it or not, much as I dislike Rockhold, I'd like to see him stay in MMA. He's clearly a talented fighter, has a pretty entertaining style, and MMA needs more villains anyway.

• Paid Members

Fun show.

I think Branch definitely had the right game plan during the fight, but just lacked the power to make it work. Good job Rockhold is a monster at G&P, because the whole 'Pettis tactic' of making the fight scrappy and tight to nullify the range of Rockhold could get him in bother - as I typed, if Branch had serious power, that great combination in the first may have ended Rockhold.

Rockhold's post-fight interview was pretty terrible, however. Handsome, but dull.

I really like Mike Perry. Seems like a laugh and he's obviously an exciting fighter to watch, seeing as he is usually knocking fools out. Well up for a Lawler fight down the road.

As usual on shows with some world class shocking tattoos, Anthony Smith may very well never be topped. #AndStill.

Archived