WWE Summerslam 2017

The King of Old School

• Paid Members

I caught the two big title matches, before heading out.

The main event is one of those matches that makes you fall in love with wrestling again. It was pretty much flawless, from a booking stand point. The fact they went so heavy with Braun dominating made the old heart melt and is there anyone (that isn't a knob) that doesn't want to see Brock v Braun?!

It's hard to give a care about Jinder. Nakamura tried, but I just don't like or hate him. Cracking abs, mind. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Natalya, going back to what I said after the last PPV, I expect now that she's tied/broken the most PPV matches by a female singles competitor that should have been tied into the match, she's been around the longest, the women's revolution started with her, she deserves the respect her family name gets. Instead it was one throwaway comment followed by one throwaway title win.

Watched a 40 minute highlight package on YouTube, that'll do for me based off the reviews on here. Have watched the Uso's in full though, what a year they're having.

It's shows like this which make it really difficult to comprehend that Summerslam and Takeover are both produced by the same company.

There were some positives mind. The main event was a fantastic match, if there's one thing WWE can consistently get right it's this style of car crash, multi-man matches. They're almost always going to be great and this one was no exception. What a star making performance from Braun! He was the complete focal point of that match and rightfully so. I can't think of anybody in wrestling who has gotten as good as Strowman in such a short space of time. I'm fine with Roman taking the pinfall as well, you'd presume this is putting the pieces in place for his redemption storyline where he gets his win back against Lesnar at the Rumble/Wrestlemania. Everything a great match should be. Quality wrestling, satisfying finish, and sets the next couple of chapters up perfectly. Strowman vs Brock has to happen at Survivor Series, surely?

Both tag title matches were good. Ambrose and Rollins' story has been the best thing both guys have done in a long, long time (which isn't saying much mind) and the match was well worked. The RAW main event scene is pretty full at the moment, so I at least appreciate the effort taken to give them both something a bit different to do. Usos/New Day was once again fantastic, but as I said before the show, it's a piss take they shove it on the pre-show. What sort of reward is that? How can any of those lads be motivated to have a great match if it's very clear it won't help them go anywhere? I enjoyed Sasha vs Alexa as well, bit of a bland middle portion but they picked things up and Bliss got to look strong enough in defeat. Alexa is one of a handful of women in the company who has their character and mannerisms bang on.

Everything else ranged from bang average to really shit. Balor's demon gimmick is lost on me. I'd get the whole idea if it actually changed anything. If it gave him a whole new dimension of his character, brought out any different moves, had any bearing on his personality whatsoever, but instead I just see a man getting to dress up and crawl around more. I understand it looks quite cool and probably sells well, but it's just still Finn Balor working a Finn Balor type match. Who could possibly care about Wyatt anymore? Owens and Styles failed to deliver again. They just seem like a pairing who have little chemistry with one another. I can't even really recall them having anything special on the indies either. It wasn't a bad match by any means, but with the special referee gimmick already hindering them, they didn't do anything to go above and beyond my expectations of an average match. 

Jinder hasn't been terrible for me, but tonight was probably the final straw. Just bollocks. The man struggles to push himself beyond the limits of the most basic of match structures, negating his heat segments into nothing but bland rest holds and he has to rely on his two mates to take any sort of big bumps or punishment. Nakamura isn't faultless either, his effort in his current run is questionable at the very least, but Mahal was really, really terrible. He made his own finisher, an incredibly simple move look terrible. They can't even come up with remotely interesting or creative ways to have him win. I don't think you need to be a good wrestler to be successful, but Jinder is starting to take the piss.

Cena/Corbin was crap, Corbin has no idea how to time his shit-talking to the crowd, Cena hasn't been firing on all cylinders since coming back and very likely has one foot out of the door already. Natalya/Naomi wasn't very good. Cass/Show succeeded in making Enzo look like the biggest fucking idiot in the history of wrestling. 

Another poor WWE PPV.

• Paid Members

The main event is my new match of the year. So much fun. Who would have ever imagined that Braun Strowman would improve so much to where he's now one of the best acts in the company? Strowman vs. Brock one-on-one is now a genuine dream match. I'd headline Wrestlemania with it. Give them fifteen minutes to smash the entire arena into dust. 

Shane McMahon done my head in during the US title match. Not even the spots he was specifically involved in. It was everything else. Every time Owens or AJ would hit an offensive move Shane would do this dead campy, "oohhhhh!" sell and once I noticed it I couldn't ignore it. It was fucking awful and distracted terribly from the match.

Cesaro and the beach ball was Hall of Fame worthy. I hope Vince gives him a title run for that. Fuck those dickhead fans. Seth and Dean's reunion storyline is one of the best in years, pro-wrestling at its finest, and they're titting about with a beach ball. Fuck off.

Corbin's demise is almost as satisfying as Ken Kennedy's. Jog on, lad. You're shit. Say what you want about Cena, but he's the man at putting a stop to these wasted pushes. 

• Paid Members

I loved how much the crowd were into Strowman. It just goes to show, when you push a guy properly, and he holds up his end of the bargain, it's still just as easy to make stars, even in the current climate of fans being know-it-all dickheads who shout,"2...sweet!" after a near-fall.

• Paid Members

Disappointed I skipped the pre-show, sounds like I missed a belter with the Usos, my favourite guys in the company right now. I'll go back and check that out.

The main card was mostly rubbish but that main event is my new MOTY. I'd have been happy with it being five minutes shorter, because the big stretch of near falls got a bit tiresome for me, but it's a small complaint. The opening five minutes in particular were absolutely electric.

Sad to see Enzo get such a shite reaction but it seems that's the way he's being booked now. Absolute burial. The dude must have serious heat with someone.

As brutal as the finishes to the Orton and Jinder matches were, the absolute worst thing on the show for me by a country mile was Finn Balor doing the Demon cosplay gimmick and the announcers giving it the hard sell for the entirety of the match. It's laughably shite. He's maybe the least convincing guy I've ever seen booked in a high level spot.

At one point in the match he snarled or growled at Bray.

7d49ddde3c113cb886edfa10252d0d00--belly-exercises-the-inbetweeners.jpg

• Paid Members

Credit where it's due with Balor, the bit at the end where he rose to his feet like a reanimated corpse was cool. But yeah, he's the phoniest act in the company. Everything about him reeks of, "Triple H told me to do it like this." It's completely inauthentic. I dread the day when Brock is going to have to act like he's scared of this goof in dreadlocks and shitty makeup. 

• Paid Members

The main event was 24 Karat gold. An absolute belter. As a few of you have also said, it's my new Match Of The Year. 

Cesaro deserves a gold star for murdering the beach ball. Fabulous. The match was pretty good too.

Uso's vs The New Day was easily the second best match of the whole show, and it was obvious it would be, yet they still put it on the pre-show. 

Everything else on the show has already had more than enough of my time from watching it. A classic main event saved the day here for the 'Biggest party of the summer'.

Archived