WWE Summerslam 2017

The King of Old School

Only a week or so away so thought I'd get the discussion started.

Confirmed -

WWE Universal Title - Brock (c) vs Reigns vs Strowman vs Joe

WWE Title - Jinder Mahal (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura

WWE Raw Womens Title - Alexa Bliss (c) vs Shasha Banks/Nia Jax

WWE Smackdown Womens Title - Naomi (c) vs Natalya

WWE United States Title - AJ Styles (c) vs Kevin Owens (Shane McMahon special guest referee)

WWE Smackdown Tag Titles - New Day (c) vs The Uso's

WWE Cruiserweight Title - Neville (c) vs Tozawa

John Cena vs Baron Corbin

Randy Orton vs Rusev

That's 9 confirmed matches so far, the likes of Cass/Show, Miz/Jordan, Wyatt/Balor and Sheamus & Cesaro VS Ambrose & Rollins will probably be added soon too.

Now I know 2/3 of them will end up on the pre-show but I have to say I don't like this new era of cramming everyone possible onto the big cards, it makes the show far too long, bloated and bit boring to be honest, like the last couple of Wrestlemania's.

8 matches for Summerslam, 10 for Wrestlemania is perfect in my view, and if one or two "big names" have to miss out then so be it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cass v Show w/ Enzo Amore above the ring in a shark cage has already been confirmed, pretty sure they've already announced Wyatt v Balor too so that would give it 11 matches confirmed.

I reckon at least two of them will be pre-show matches though, Cruiserweight Title is almost a certainty and Smackdown Women's title at a guess as the most likely candidates 

• Paid Members

Yeah the only sure thing about this show is that it'll drag on until it feels as if winter is here. Completely bloated. The only matches I'm looking forward to are the Universal title match (which should be great), the Smackdown! Tag title match (should be very good) and Orton v Rusev (which if this year is anything to go by, will be unwhelming, but on a less packed show I think they could put on something great together). 

Sheamus and Cesaro vs Rollins and Ambrose, if it happens, will likely be good but unfortunately I see it ending with Rollins and Ambrose as champions. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I reckon at least two of them will be pre-show matches though, Cruiserweight Title is almost a certainty and Smackdown Women's title at a guess as the most likely candidates 

I don't know if it will, simply because I think Carmella is cashing in and I can't see them doing that on the pre-show.

39 minutes ago, SBD said:

Surely Cena is going over and Corbin is cashing in his MITB

I think it's obvious they are going down this route.

I would prefer it though if say, Nakamura had the match won, and Corbin came down to put himself in the match and pinned Jinder without "ruining" any sort of big moment for Nakamura, a bit like how Rollins cashed his in.

Clearly Nakamura is going to be WWE champion one day, and I don't think his first big win should end with a cash in.

Best build for me has been the Smackdown Tag Match, bit of actual meat on the bone, some history to draw from and a few belting promos from the Usos. The fatal 4 way has some nice interwoven stories I guess and does intrigue me. The others seem so rushed and lacking in any real substance that I couldn't give a shit.

If Nakamura wins, then Corbin cashes in successfully, when would have been the last time we had three first time WWE Champions in a row? I can't think of that happening  

Archived