UFC 215: Nunes vs Shevchenko 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

FYI, JDS is blaming a diuretic on his USADA violation.

I'd be surprised if Reem bothers stepping in. He just went 3 rounds with Werdum last month and, at 37, realises he's not got many title shots left in him. Taking a fight on short notice isn't doing him many favours.

13 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

FYI, JDS is blaming a diuretic on his USADA violation.

I'd be surprised if Reem bothers stepping in. He just went 3 rounds with Werdum last month and, at 37, realises he's not got many title shots left in him. Taking a fight on short notice isn't doing him many favours.

He's also got Greg Jackson advising him, hasn't he? And we know his view on his fighters taking bouts on short notice against anyone. I'm sure Dana knows those views as well.

There's also the fact that the UFC clearly see Ngannou as the next heavyweight superstar, so they're going to be very careful about how they handle him. I don't see them putting Ngannou against someone like Overeem without giving Ngannou as much time as possible to prepare for him. I think what is most likely to happen is that the UFC will pull Ngannou from UFC 215 and then wait to see how the JDS/USADA situation plays out before deciding what to do next.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying Overeem should step in, by the way. It makes no sense for him to jump in on short notice against someone like Ngannou, who's a beast but relatively unknown compared to Reem. It'd be more risk than reward at this stage. 

But if it happened it wouldn't upset me either. More likely though they just move Ngannou to a later card. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Francis Ngannou is officially off this card now. MMA Fighting are reporting that attempts have now stopped to find another opponent for Ngannou, following JDS' failed USADA test. 

• Paid Members

It's got to be Overeem, hasn't it? Who else is there who you'd consider 'big'? With JDS off the scene, Hunt booked etc, who does it leave? 

Cain maybe? But I think if Cain was good to go they go with Miocic vs Cain for the strap. 

I can't think of anything else that would be particularly big for Ngannou. It's got to be the Reem. 

Nunes appears to be good to go. Shevchenko has been fanning the flames by saying that she doesn't believe that sinusitis was the reason for Nunes pulling out of UFC 213; Shevchenko believes it was simply that Nunes cut too much weight and that she felt too weak to go ahead with the fight. Whether true or not, and whether she's saying it for promotional purposes or because she genuinely believes it, and it could be both, I'm backing Shevchenko to stop Nunes.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've been backing Shevchenko since they were scheduled to fight at UFC 213. 

Like with any dangerous fast starter, Nunes is going to bring it hard in the first couple of rounds. There's always that chance that, while she's fresh and at full power early, she catches Shevchenko and doesn't give her chance to recover. I wouldn't be shocked if it went Nunes' way. But I think Shevchenko's experience as a striker and her calm and calculated approach plus her natural durability will see her through the rough early rounds. And I can see her taking over late on.

Shevchenko either on points or a TKO in the championship rounds, I reckon. 

• Paid Members

the Championship rounds could make all the difference here by all accounts. I can't really remember the first fight, ill try viewing it again before the weekend.

Im really up for the show though, last weekends Amsterdam show got me in the mood for it again.

Archived