• Paid Members

Saturday!

Carry On Cruising (1962) (ITV3 - 11:55) - "Flo! Ebb a bit."

Rio Lobo (1970) (TCM - 16:55) - One of John Wayne's later and more playful westerns, it's probably a bit longer than it needs to be but it features a couple of superb heist scenes and one of the most inventive uses of bees you will ever see.

The Man Who Haunted Himself (1970) (Horror Channel - 18:40) - A Roger Moore horror film? Yes please! And he does show some versatility, does the Best Bond, in a really underrated British horror film with a great Anton Rodgers turn too.

The Night of the Hunter (1955) (TCM - 19:10) - Famously, Charles Laughton's only film as a director. So savaged was it by critics that the experience forced him to put his directorial career to bed before it even really started. But what a one-hit wonder. The film noir reinvented as a sort of German expressionist stalk-and-slash psychological thriller, with arguably Robert Mitchum's most famous and terrifying performance. He will make you shit yourself.

* JOINT PICK OF THE DAY - The Shout (1978) (Talking Pictures TV - 00:00) - Trying to describe The Shout is somewhat difficult as it's such an unusual and impossible to categorise film. All I will say is that it's one of Britain's greatest unknown gems and if you fancy something off the beaten track and extremely unnerving, this is your film. Features an amazing lead performance from the always great Alan Bates and superb support from John Hurt and Susannah York.

* JOINT PICK OF THE DAY - Wake In Fright (1971) (Film4 - 01:00) - I honestly couldn't pick between these two. Much like The Shout, this isn't an easy one to pin down but it's a sort of psychological drama of immense power that has been rediscovered and appreciated as the masterpiece it is in the last few years. It does feature one of the most horrific acts of real animal cruelty in cinema history, but if you can get past it then this is an utterly brilliant film. 

By the way, just a quick note that Horror Channel is showing the French / Romanian home invasion horror film Ils from 02:50. Not an old film but an absolutely superb one.

• Paid Members

Tomorrow! (Tuesday)

PICK OF THE DAY - Vertigo (1958) (Film4 - 11:45) - Don't be put off by the fact that it always tops Sight & Sound polls these days - it really is that good. It's perhaps one of Hitchcock's least accessible films and I do feel it really warrants a couple of viewings to really get a proper grasp on its intricacies, but it's a quite extraordinary piece of filmmaking and I'd say technically it's Hitchcock's finest achievement, even though it's not quite my favourite of his.

Billy Budd (1962) (TCM - 17:15) - Splendid nautical adventure that reminds you just what a great actor Terence Stamp is. He manages to out-perform even Robert Ryan even though Ryan's casting is a little odd for a film set on an English ship. Little seen until relatively recently picked up by Film4 and TCM, well worth seeing.

* Mad Max (1979) (TCM - 23:25) - Although arguably the weakest of the series (yeah I said it), it does feature a shotgun-wielding Lizzie Birdsworth and that's all you need to know, surely.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

* Mad Max (1979) (TCM - 23:25) - Although arguably the weakest of the series (yeah I said it), it does feature a shotgun-wielding Lizzie Birdsworth and that's all you need to know, surely.

Is this a controversial opinion? I rewatched all the Mad Max films before Fury Road came out & I'd say it's the weakest by quite a way. Still decent & with some great moments but the follow up is leaps & bounds ahead (although I forgot how little dialogue Mel has in the sequel, he's practically monosyllabic).

• Paid Members
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:39 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Night of the Hunter (1955) (TCM - 19:10) - Famously, Charles Laughton's only film as a director. So savaged was it by critics that the experience forced him to put his directorial career to bed before it even really started. But what a one-hit wonder. The film noir reinvented as a sort of German expressionist stalk-and-slash psychological thriller, with arguably Robert Mitchum's most famous and terrifying performance. He will make you shit yourself.

Missed this by almost a week, but I hope some people caught this who hadn't already seen it - this is probably my absolute favourite film ever.

Absolutely astonishing film, Mitchum's finest performance, incredible direction, and just all-round brilliant. Before it became abundantly clear that the wrestling lark wasn't really for me, I really wanted to work heel with a gimmick influenced by this movie, and use a mixture of the theme tune and Mitchum singing "Leaning on Jesus" as sinister entrance music. Pure fucking nightmare fuel.

• Paid Members

Tomorrow (Friday):-

* PICK OF THE DAY - Cape Fear (1962) (TCM - 18:50) - Astonishingly there are still wrongsters who insist the remake is better. The remake is fine but it's nowhere near a patch on J. Lee Thompson's original. Robert Mitchum rejects Robert De Niro's theatrics for something far more psychologically cruel. Just brilliant.

Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) (ITV4 - 23:00) - I first watched this by getting up for school really early one day and watching it before my mum woke up because I knew my dad had rented it the night before. 28 years old, I was....

Dead End (1937) (Talking Pictures TV - 03:55) - Early-ish Humphrey Bogart starrer, a superb crime drama from the great William Wyler set in a poor New York neighbourhood being overtaken by the nouveau riche. Amazingly pertinent 80 years on.

• Paid Members

"Talking Pictures" is a great wee channel. Mum's being watching it all day as she can't move from a chair yet (legs done in). Most of the films that are on there are in your local Fopp. Must have a contract with them or something. Normally in the "BFI" section.

Edited by bAzTNM#1