On 03/08/2017 at 11:39 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas and those Lord of the Rings movies...I really don’t get it or see why people shite themselves about how good they are. And it wasn’t that I didn’t try like them because I did. I really did and because I didn't/don't, I think there's something wrong with me...

Don't mind most of those movies. Forrest Gump is complete shite though, and I've never rated it.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:16 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Tomorrow! (Tuesday)

* King Solomon's Mines (1985) (Sony Movie Channel - 15:00) - Unfairly maligned for being an Indiana Jones ripoff, which it is really, it's still an enjoyable adventure on its own and that's even before you factor in Sharon Stone.

This has been on rotation for a few weeks. Having not seen it for ages Tivo'ed it and watched last week, cracking film, Canon at their overblown nearly falling off the rails best. Shot in Zimbabwe, back to back with it's sequel and plenty of twists and really silly turns. Absolutely loved it. Sharon Stone was utterly despised by the end of the shoot, no one has a good word to say about her from that..

In other video shop rental greats.the House Quartet of films is starting to be rotated on Horror :)

• Awards Moderator

I've vaguely wanted to see King Solomon's Mines since I read the book a few years ago. It's a weird old read, with probably a scarily accurate for the time of Britain's attitude to Africa. The characters have competitions to see how many elephants they can shoot dead in a morning, and not even for ivory (not that that's an excuse), they just kill them and leave the bodies, what what. It's horrific how everyday the author makes it seem. Then they go to the mines of the title to rescue a white woman from the evil primitive natives and meet a scary old voodoo hag called Gagool. I've got to think the film toned down the ra ra ra Empire stuff.

• Paid Members

Tomorrow! (Thursday)

* PICK OF THE DAY - Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) (TCM - 10:45) - The greatest multi-character performance(s) of all time, courtesy of Alec Guinness, but it never feels gimmicky or put on for show. It just makes the absurdity of this wonderful black comedy all the more apparent. Very dark in places, and Dennis Price's performance should never be overlooked.

* Beetlejuice (1988) (TCM - 19:15) - Remember when Tim Burton wasn't completely fucking awful? Still Michael Keaton's greatest ever performance and even Geena Davis is pretty good.

* Quatermass and the Pit (1967) (Horror Channel - 21:00) - Almost certainly the greatest of all the various Quatermass TV and movie appearances as the professor unearths something nasty on the Underground. The effects are a bit quaint now but it's still really chilling stuff.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I've vaguely wanted to see King Solomon's Mines since I read the book a few years ago. It's a weird old read, with probably a scarily accurate for the time of Britain's attitude to Africa. The characters have competitions to see how many elephants they can shoot dead in a morning, and not even for ivory (not that that's an excuse), they just kill them and leave the bodies, what what. It's horrific how everyday the author makes it seem. Then they go to the mines of the title to rescue a white woman from the evil primitive natives and meet a scary old voodoo hag called Gagool. I've got to think the film toned down the ra ra ra Empire stuff.

One of the things that really got me about it was how Haggard made out that the hidden tribe were much more beautiful than regular Africans because their skin was lighter and their features closer to Caucasian. No real surprise given the context of the era, but it really showed just how insidiously toxic the imperialist mindset was.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Tomorrow! (Thursday)

* PICK OF THE DAY - Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) (TCM - 10:45) - The greatest multi-character performance(s) of all time, courtesy of Alec Guinness, but it never feels gimmicky or put on for show. It just makes the absurdity of this wonderful black comedy all the more apparent. Very dark in places, and Dennis Price's performance should never be overlooked

In concurrence. The *BEST* Ealing Comedy, and that's some acheivement.

• Paid Members

Tomorrow! (Friday)

* Carry On Cleo (1964) (Film4 - 11:00) - "Blimey, she must be selling tickets!"

* PICK OF THE DAY - Passport To Pimlico (1949) (TCM - 15:00) - TCM's Ealing season continues with another wonderful comedy made during their peak, and arguably featuring their finest ever cast. Its US release is linked to one of my favourite ever stories about a publicity stunt at a film release:-

"For the US release on 23 October 1949, soil was imported and placed in front of the cinema; commissionaires in the uniform of a British policeman would hand out mock passports and invite passers-by to step onto English soil to see the film."

* Ghostbusters 2 (1989) (Film4 - 18:55) - Ignore the haters, it's a perfectly decent sequel that was never going to be as good as the original but has more than enough good ideas and laughs to make it one of the better sequels you'll see.

* Demons (1985) (Horror Channel - 22:55) - One of the very rare occasions when the Horror Channel has something good on. I can't vouch for which of the million cuts of this they are likely to show (Horror normally show uncut versions) but this is one of the few Italian horror films that actually makes sense (for the most part) and is dead good fun all the way through. Fuck knows what the helicopter bit is about though....

16 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

* Demons (1985) (Horror Channel - 22:55) - One of the very rare occasions when the Horror Channel has something good on. I can't vouch for which of the million cuts of this they are likely to show (Horror normally show uncut versions) but this is one of the few Italian horror films that actually makes sense (for the most part) and is dead good fun all the way through. Fuck knows what the helicopter bit is about though....

I believe that they do show the uncut version, I watched it when they showed it a few months back. It's funny how you'll watch something on telly even though I own the film on Blu-Ray.