• Paid Members

It's a bit like Gladders and Loki's Film Club except the BAFTA Award© winning Loki only posts these days when he's run out of Bella Thorne pictures to wank over, so it's just me. Plus nobody probably cares so I'll get bored of this after a week obviously.

Anyway, the emergence of Talking Pictures TV has put more great old films on the TV every day, some of which have never been shown on TV before, but there's also always some good stuff on Film4 and TCM plus a scattering across some other channels that are free-to-air too.

Today:-

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) (Sony Movies - 15:35) - Not as good as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad but still pretty bloody good and not just for Jane Seymour.

PICK OF THE DAY - Dead Of Night (1945) (Talking Pictures TV - 18:30) - The godfather of horror anthologies and also probably still the greatest of all time. All 5 stories, including the link story, are fantastic - especially the golf one, bizarrely enough.

Cliffhanger (1993) (ITV4 - 00:40) - Technique from London's Burning plays football with Michael Rooker and loads of other great stuff happens.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Cracking idea for a thread Devon. I was just looking at stuff to record over the weekend, and noticed tomorrow night, FIlm4 have a cracking line-up from later afternoon/early evening onwards:

4.50pm - Home Alone 

6.55pm - I, Robot

9pm - The Green Mile

12.40am - Red State

2.20am - Safety Not Guaranteed

That's me sorted. 

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Didn't know who Bella Thorne was so I googled her. I think she's a bit old for Loki...

He Googles 'bella thorne shake it up'.

@Scott Malbranque - Surviving The Game is absolutely marvellous. Only caught it a couple of years ago. Bloody loved it.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Red State is absolutely terrible though.

I didn't hate it, it's not great, but I've seen worse.

@Scott Malbranque I loved The Green Mile the first time I saw it, although admittedly that was at least 7 or 8 years, so maybe it might not live up to my memories on a re-watch.  

Had never heard of Surviving the Game, but based on a quick google that looks deadly, will have to record that!

• Paid Members

I used to have a long play VHS that had Surviving the Game, Street Fighter – The Animated Movie, Cliffhanger and Fortress.

Surviving the Game looks much better on pirate VHS than it does on DVD transfer for some reason.

Absolutely fucking loved that cassette and would watch Surviving the Game on rinse and repeat. But I’ve touched on this before, in that I ruined the tracking on Street Fighter due to incessant pausing and slo-mo forward pausing of Chun Li’s shower scene which left my mickey looking like something you’d see hanging out the side of Jaws’ mouth.

It ruined the whole VHS in the end as it got tangled up and no intricate surgical sellotaping of the tape was working.

The Green Mile is a great film that I'm glad I watched, but the nasty little shit of a villain made me so uncomfortably angry that the thought of rewatching it holds no appeal at all.

• Paid Members

Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas and those Lord of the Rings movies...I really don’t get it or see why people shite themselves about how good they are. And it wasn’t that I didn’t try like them because I did. I really did and because I didn't/don't, I think there's something wrong with me...

• Paid Members

No, there's not. I really liked Goodfellas and the couple of LOTR films I could be bothered watching but, by and large, I'm not a fan of that sort of epic, Oscar-aware filmmaking. I never even entertained the idea of watching Forrest Gump as I know I would utterly detest it.