• Paid Members

Golden Voyage is definitely the better of the two, but in fairness to his George Lucas style counting, Seventh Voyage was the first and Harryhausen's work improved so much over the films he made in between.Ā 

Seventh Voyage does have one of my favourite pieces of human/model interaction though, the sword fight with the Skelton where dents appear in the shield as Sinbad strikes it.

• Paid Members

That skeleton sceneĀ isĀ tremendous, absolutely. TheĀ Jason & The ArgonautsĀ scene is the iconic one and rightly stands out as one of the most memorable scenes in cinema, but theĀ 7th VoyageĀ scene felt, in some respects, "cleaner" for the simple reason it was a one-on-one duel and had less going on, therefore making it easier to focus. TheĀ JasonĀ one overall is better though.Ā 

Both scenes were the reason I was overjoyed whenĀ Killer Instinct came out in the arcades, and I got to play as Spinal.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 3/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

He wouldn't have suited Bond at all, I don't think, not in the era he was around.

(Lewis Collins). He wouldn't have suited any of the Roger Moore style films, but you could definately see him doing a Dalton film, but he got ill after "Who Dares Wins" and it limited his acting roles.

• Paid Members

Not much on tomorrow again.

Farewell My Lovely (Movies4Men, 08:00) is an excellent Philip Marlowe thriller. I think I actually preferred Dick Powell in the role to Humphrey Bogart, he had that extra edge of sarcasm and cynicism.

Ice Cold in Alex (TCM, 18:20)Ā is my pick of the day, a brilliant wartime suspense thriller that inspired the Carlsberg advert that is probably more famous than it. One of my all time favourites.

Dead Calm (TCM, 21:00) is also a cracking suspense thriller of a different kind and is remarkable for two things - Billy Zane actually putting in a good performance and Nicole Kidman's arse.

Farewell My Lovely (Movies4Men, 08:00) is an excellent Philip Marlowe thriller. I think I actually preferred Dick Powell in the role to Humphrey Bogart, he had that extra edge of sarcasm and cynicism.

Absolutely. Way more like the character than Bogart, who was always better as Sam Spade.

• Paid Members

Not muchĀ better tomorrow.

The Violent MenĀ (Film4, 15:10) is one of many westerns forgotten from the 1950s, probably the best decade for the genre. Impressively violent and really well acted, but you'd expect that from Ford, Stanwyck and Robinson.

An American Werewolf in LondonĀ (True Movies, 23:10) is still one of the best werewolf movies ever made, and not just because most werewolf films are shit. Why the fuck is it on True Movies though? What are they saying....?

Pick of the day isĀ They LiveĀ (Horror, 22:40), still one of the most inventive sci-fi and satirical films ever made. I think people forget that Roddy Piper was legitimately pretty good in the lead here and should have got more high profile leads.

• Paid Members

As expected, because it's Saturday, a better line-up tomorrow. I've also changed the name of this thread because there are good newer films shown sometimes too.

OctopussyĀ (ITV1, 13:20) will probably have bits cut out of it but it's still a proper Bond film and deserves to be seen as such, not just for its brilliant clown chase scene. GET OFF MY BED.

Diamonds Are ForeverĀ (ITV4, 18:40) means we are privileged tomorrow on the Bond front. This is probably the most racist one, making it a great racist Bond double-bill too.

Jaws 2Ā (ITV4, 21:00) is on again as well, still one of the most under-appreciated sequels ever made. Who thought a photo being developed could make for such a chilling scene too?

The Pick of the Day isĀ Mad Max: Fury RoadĀ (5Spike, 21:00). I don't think I was around the forum when this was released so I missed all the discussion on it but I'm assuming everyone on here recognises this for what it is. One of the greatest action films ever made, arguably the greatest film of any genre of the decade, and the film that put practical effects and stuntwork back on the map. When you think about it, on every level, this film is insane and should never have got made but we shouldĀ all be thankful it was.

Fast & FuriousĀ (ITV1, 22:30) (the fourth one, for the uninitiated) is nobody's favourite in the series but it's an important stepping stone to the best one, Fast Five. It's also way more fun than it's given credit for.

Dead Man's ShoesĀ (Film4, 23:15) would, on any other day, be the pick of the day. Shane Meadows' masterpiece of unresolved grief and small town villainy, it also features the single most pant-shittingly threatening line in movie history.

Mel Gibson may not get commercial recognition for his films anymore, with good reason, butĀ How I Spent My Summer VacationĀ (Sony, 23:25) showed that he was still a reliable action star. Really enjoyable comedy actioner with some great one-liners.

Boyz 'n the HoodĀ (BBC2, 23:45) is screening as a tribute to John Singleton. Certainly his best and most important work, and massivly influential to this day.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ā Mad Max: Fury RoadĀ (5Spike, 21:00). I don't think I was around the forum when this was released so I missed all the discussion on it but I'm assuming everyone on here recognises this for what it is. One of the greatest action films ever made, arguably the greatest film of any genre of the decade, and the film that put practical effects and stuntwork back on the map. When you think about it, on every level, this film is insane and should never have got made but we shouldĀ all be thankful it was.

It had no right being good. Ā The production was incredibly troubled and almost didn't happen before.Ā George Miller hadn't made a decent film in decades. Ā The very idea of a sequel/prequel to the series sounded awful, and the original star wasn't even attached. Ā The casting sounded pretty shit too.

I went to watch it in the cinema almost despite all of that, and as you say it was one of the best action films of all time certainly the prettiest. Ā Of course, any potential sequel is now mired in production hell as well, but I wouldn't put it past him to bang out another classic in about 10 years.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

If you've got Channel 5 +1 You can watch Drive Angry in 15 minutes, you know you want to.

image.jpeg.06f8a8083b6919aeb7252052b6b0b9d2.jpeg

Fair few decent bits tomorrow.

EyewitnessĀ (Talking Pictures TV, 12:20) is probably most notable for being one of the first feature filmsĀ directed by a woman (Muriel Box) in the UK (made in 1956). Good little B-thriller with a young Donald Sinden playing a murderer!

The Pick of the Day isĀ Attack!Ā (Film4, 15:05), Robert Aldrich's war film is a far cry from his often comedic The Dirty Dozen, a grim and action-packed drama with Jack Palance fuming throughout at cowardly superior Eddie Albert. Absolutely fantastic.

Night of the Big HeatĀ (Horror, 16:00) is a potty Hammer sci-fi horror where an unexplained heatwave hits a remote Scottish town. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing try and sort it out. Stupid entertainment.

The Expendables 2Ā (ITV, 21:00) is part of a series that should have been far better than it was, but this one was probably the best of them.

Fright NightĀ (Horror, 21:00), the original one of course, still happens to be one of the best vampire films ever made, and one of the funniest as well. I haven't seen the sequel for ages though, I really should revisit it.

Jason BourneĀ (Film4, 21:00) was very unfairly received on release, I thought, and was a continuation of the main strand of the series that worked at least as well as any of its three predecessors. A great shame we probably won't see any more, it's a fantastic action film.

Inglourious BasterdsĀ (ITV4, 23:05) is my favourite Tarantino film and one that resurrected the war action film as well as could reasonably be asked for. Even Eli Roth was pretty good in it, that's how good it is.

BaitĀ (Horror, 02:40) is about some people trapped in a flooded supermarket by sharks. It's just as much fun as that stupid description would leave you hoping it would be.

• Paid Members

Definitely watch the preceding three mainly because they're all ace and also because you'll be lost. The Jeremy Renner one isn't necessary but it's actually ok.

How have you never watched the other ones anyway?!

Edited by Devon Malcolm
moby

• Paid Members

Thanks. Iā€™m rubbish, I hardly took any notice of films up until a few years ago and now Iā€™m playing catch up. Iā€™ve watched 570 films in the last couple of years so making up for it now - I will make the Bourne films a priority!

• Paid Members

You should. They're fantastic. Jason Bourne wasn't as well received and you could see by the end scene that they had plans to do another, which almost certainly won't happen now. But I really think it's one of the best actioners of the decade and this decade has been *great* for action films.