• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Fopp?

Chain store that became an HMV offshoot about ten years ago; less focused on chart stuff than a proper HMV, it's where they tend to farm out their weirder or more niche products, so are good for old movies, world cinema, and "genre" music and vinyl. Used to have a reputation for great customer service and decent pricing. There's hardly any left now, though, but there's one around Covent Garden that's still pretty good.

Anyway, Cape Fear, brilliant. Another treat of sinister, evil Robert Mitchum. I agree that the original is better - in the remake, Max Cady is so obviously a deranged lunatic, whereas in the original you can see how he would be able ingratiate himself with people and get close to the family in the first place. He's a much more insidious character - De Niro's great in the remake, but borders on cartoonish villainy at times.

Fantastic score by Bernard Herrmann, too.

56 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Isn't there one across from where the Hard Rock used to be in Nottingham too? (near the Clough statue)

It moved around two or three years ago. Some awesome looking barbecue place took over there and always smells amazing. 

Lounging at the mother-in-laws earlier today, when Forbidden Planet popped up on the TV. I think it was one of the straggling BBC channels. At home, the missus would have forcibly changed channel, but I managed to keep it on long enough for her to leave it (yes, that's the level our relationship's at!). Great little film that ticks all my old sci fi boxes - known star in early role, villain with goatee, matte paintings galore, retro sexism just on the edge of good taste, and a great mix of overblown and drily witty dialogue. I'd been meaning to watch for yours. Glad I finally did! No man looks into the face of the gorgon and lives!

• Paid Members

I watched that a few months back and even though I love 1950s sci-fi, I couldn't really get into it. Some nice skimpy outfits on the women though.

Not much on tomorrow except Midnight Run at 21:00 on Sony Movie Channel, which would be Pick of the Day regardless of what else was on, so you'd better watch it or I'm gonna stick your head in the fucking toilet bowl and I'm gonna make it stay there.

• Paid Members

Forbidden Planet is one of my all-time favorites. It's one of those that I'll watch pretty much every time I catch it on TV, even though I've got it on video (I keep meaning to pick up either the DVD or BR from Fopp, depending on which is better for extras).

The Caveman is right in that it ticks all the boxes for a classic sci-fi movie. It's proper big screen, drive-in movie fodder. Massive, detailed sets with a hint of Googie styling, and the creepy-as-fuck-when-you're-a-kid footprints appearing from the invisible beast.

The electrified beast, when I first saw that clip on some documentary with Robin Williams gave me nightmares.

• Paid Members

Tomorrow (Monday):-

Went The Day Well? (1942) (TCM - 15:00) - TCM's superb Ealing season continues with this enjoyable WW2 propaganda thriller about a small English town invaded by Nazis posing as Allied troops. A bit silly and flag-waving in places but generally really good fun.

The Deer Hunter (1978) (TCM - 21:00) - Naturally, I don't approve of any film being this long and The Deer Hunter really is challenging, especially in its early stages, with its very slow pace. But it's also incredibly well acted by a marvellous cast, building to a memorably tragic finale by way of some of the most disturbing depictions of the Vietnam War that you will see.

* PICK OF THE DAY - Full Metal Jacket (1987) (TCM - 00:40) - I was once like those idiots who think that this is half a good film (the first part) and half a boring film. But I saw the light when I last watched it a couple of years ago and it hangs together as one of Stanley Kubrick's very best and one of the very finest anti-war films of all time.