Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

Good Films On TV Tomorrow

Recommended Posts

On 8/3/2017 at 0:54 PM, Carbomb said:

I remember watching some cracking ones when I was 13, 14 years old and taking advantage of summer holidays to stay up till 4am watching Sky Movies or The Movie Channel. There were some fun pot-boilers I remember, like Robot Jox and Quarantine (the one with no big names in).

Yeah, around 1994 to 1996 was the best time for those channels. They'd show anything. I remember they used to have certain days for films. Sundays from 10pm was always the horror place. I remember watching a big, long warning before "Hellraiser 2" started. I think that was the night Sky got fined for showing a totally uncut version of it. I remember the guy cutting himself and getting dragged around the bed a lot longer than any other release. Just keeps going on and on and on.

I also fondly remember the "Thursday Night Sex" section where they'd show such classics as "Young Lady Chatterley", "Black Emmanuelle", any early 90s Shannon Tweed shit. Robin Askwith films too. I felt so rebellious watching bloody "Confessions of a Window Cleaner" or "Confessions from the David Galaxy Affair". Them were the days. TalkingPictures showed a few Robin Askwith 70s softcores on there when they first started. I remember catching "Cool it Carol!" on there.

They'd always show good shit during the night on those channels. Once digital came along, this shit all stopped.

ADDED: Staying up to 3am to record "Meet the Feebles" too. Ah, memories.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2017 at 11:39 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas and those Lord of the Rings movies...I really don’t get it or see why people shite themselves about how good they are. And it wasn’t that I didn’t try like them because I did. I really did and because I didn't/don't, I think there's something wrong with me...

 

 

Don't mind most of those movies. Forrest Gump is complete shite though, and I've never rated it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Staying up to 3am to record "Meet the Feebles" too. Ah, memories.

Why didn't you put the timer on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 1:16 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Tomorrow! (Tuesday)

* King Solomon's Mines (1985) (Sony Movie Channel - 15:00) - Unfairly maligned for being an Indiana Jones ripoff, which it is really, it's still an enjoyable adventure on its own and that's even before you factor in Sharon Stone.

 

This has been on rotation for a few weeks. Having not seen it for ages Tivo'ed it and watched last week, cracking film, Canon at their overblown nearly falling off the rails best. Shot in Zimbabwe, back to back with it's sequel and plenty of twists and really silly turns. Absolutely loved it. Sharon Stone was utterly despised by the end of the shoot, no one has a good word to say about her from that..

In other video shop rental greats.the House Quartet of films is starting to be rotated on Horror :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've vaguely wanted to see King Solomon's Mines since I read the book a few years ago. It's a weird old read, with probably a scarily accurate for the time of Britain's attitude to Africa. The characters have competitions to see how many elephants they can shoot dead in a morning, and not even for ivory (not that that's an excuse), they just kill them and leave the bodies, what what. It's horrific how everyday the author makes it seem. Then they go to the mines of the title to rescue a white woman from the evil primitive natives and meet a scary old voodoo hag called Gagool. I've got to think the film toned down the ra ra ra Empire stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow! (Thursday)

* PICK OF THE DAY - Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) (TCM - 10:45) - The greatest multi-character performance(s) of all time, courtesy of Alec Guinness, but it never feels gimmicky or put on for show. It just makes the absurdity of this wonderful black comedy all the more apparent. Very dark in places, and Dennis Price's performance should never be overlooked.

* Beetlejuice (1988) (TCM - 19:15) - Remember when Tim Burton wasn't completely fucking awful? Still Michael Keaton's greatest ever performance and even Geena Davis is pretty good.

* Quatermass and the Pit (1967) (Horror Channel - 21:00) - Almost certainly the greatest of all the various Quatermass TV and movie appearances as the professor unearths something nasty on the Underground. The effects are a bit quaint now but it's still really chilling stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I've vaguely wanted to see King Solomon's Mines since I read the book a few years ago. It's a weird old read, with probably a scarily accurate for the time of Britain's attitude to Africa. The characters have competitions to see how many elephants they can shoot dead in a morning, and not even for ivory (not that that's an excuse), they just kill them and leave the bodies, what what. It's horrific how everyday the author makes it seem. Then they go to the mines of the title to rescue a white woman from the evil primitive natives and meet a scary old voodoo hag called Gagool. I've got to think the film toned down the ra ra ra Empire stuff.

One of the things that really got me about it was how Haggard made out that the hidden tribe were much more beautiful than regular Africans because their skin was lighter and their features closer to Caucasian. No real surprise given the context of the era, but it really showed just how insidiously toxic the imperialist mindset was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Tomorrow! (Thursday)

* PICK OF THE DAY - Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) (TCM - 10:45) - The greatest multi-character performance(s) of all time, courtesy of Alec Guinness, but it never feels gimmicky or put on for show. It just makes the absurdity of this wonderful black comedy all the more apparent. Very dark in places, and Dennis Price's performance should never be overlooked

 

In concurrence. The *BEST* Ealing Comedy, and that's some acheivement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think TCM are doing an Ealing season at the moment, unless I'm mistaken. Loads of wonderful gems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow! (Friday)

* Carry On Cleo (1964) (Film4 - 11:00) - "Blimey, she must be selling tickets!"

* PICK OF THE DAY - Passport To Pimlico (1949) (TCM - 15:00) - TCM's Ealing season continues with another wonderful comedy made during their peak, and arguably featuring their finest ever cast. Its US release is linked to one of my favourite ever stories about a publicity stunt at a film release:-

"For the US release on 23 October 1949, soil was imported and placed in front of the cinema; commissionaires in the uniform of a British policeman would hand out mock passports and invite passers-by to step onto English soil to see the film."

* Ghostbusters 2 (1989) (Film4 - 18:55) - Ignore the haters, it's a perfectly decent sequel that was never going to be as good as the original but has more than enough good ideas and laughs to make it one of the better sequels you'll see.

* Demons (1985) (Horror Channel - 22:55) - One of the very rare occasions when the Horror Channel has something good on. I can't vouch for which of the million cuts of this they are likely to show (Horror normally show uncut versions) but this is one of the few Italian horror films that actually makes sense (for the most part) and is dead good fun all the way through. Fuck knows what the helicopter bit is about though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

* Demons (1985) (Horror Channel - 22:55) - One of the very rare occasions when the Horror Channel has something good on. I can't vouch for which of the million cuts of this they are likely to show (Horror normally show uncut versions) but this is one of the few Italian horror films that actually makes sense (for the most part) and is dead good fun all the way through. Fuck knows what the helicopter bit is about though....

I believe that they do show the uncut version, I watched it when they showed it a few months back. It's funny how you'll watch something on telly even though I own the film on Blu-Ray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that would be the case. Great little horror film, Bobby Rhodes is hilarious as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I thought that would be the case. Great little horror film, Bobby Rhodes is hilarious as well.

Even though

 

He dies in the first film he plays essentially the same character in the sequel

Demons-pimp.png

Edited by Rey_Piste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demons is wonderfully bonkers.

It's a shame they completely abandoned the apocalyptic ending and went with the apartment complex setting for the sequel.

Edited by The King Of Swing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...