Brock Lesnar news/appreciation/hate thread

ColinBollocks

1 minute ago, lambyUK said:

This is just a guess though Noah.

It's not exactly a blind stab in the dark, though. WME need big money fights to generate the kind of profits required to pay off the loans they took out to purchase the UFC. Even paying off just the interest on those loans requires the UFC to have the kind of years, in terms of business, that they’ve only had once or twice in their entire existence.

Right now, the UFC have two major draws, Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor. Rousey is probably never fighting again and Conor, even if he does fight again, is probably not going to fight often enough to carry WME’s financial load in regard to making those interest payments. That means the creation of new major draws is a financial necessity. So either WME wait and hope like hell that a fighter catches on, which is possible but rare enough that you simply can’t count on it to happen, or they actively try and make a major draw, which in this case means pitting their best and potentially most marketable full time fighter against a guy who, whilst an outsider, is a proven draw, and hoping that the full time guy both wins and becomes a major draw off of that win.

Yes, it’s a risk, and a big one, but it’s a risk that WME are going to have to take, if for no other reason than to have a realistic chance of paying off the interest in their loans. Because if WME consistently fail to pay off the interest on those loans, never mind paying off the loans themselves, I don’t have to tell you that that could mean very bad news for the UFC.

19 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Is WrestleMania in March next year? Vince is going to want him on Mania, isn't he? It's probably going to be a while then.

April 8th. Brock's contract runs out right after. Brock is going to be at Wrestlemania but I’m not sure who he’s facing. The original plan was Lesnar dropping the WWE title to Reigns but the match and the title change got moved to Summerslam. Then the Lesnar vs. Reigns match got changed to a four-way involving Braun Strowman and Samoa Joe, and I think that there is a very good chance that how that match plays out will give an indication as to whether Lesnar is fighting again.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Something has occurred to me: I'd like to see Lesnar vs. Stipe more than Lesnar vs. Jones. Mainly because Stipe comes across as OK, if a bit goofy, and it seems right to me that the HW champ gets more exposure and a higher profile to earn more money with. And he's not exactly a boring fighter, either.

14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

David, care to comment after last night turn of events?

Not really, as it doesn't change anything. People can call out Lesnar all they want, but that won't make him pass drug tests and actually make it to the cage, will it?

I'll believe it when i see it.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, David said:

So, I hear that bearded Brock showed up at a WWE PPV, and is scheduled for a Saudi event? What's going on? He not coming back after all that carry on after the title fight between Stipe and DC?

He’ll do both,

Meltzer reported Brock is easily getting over seven figures just to appear on the Saudi show.

• Paid Members

He was definitely closer to UFC shape than WWE shape when he showed up at Hell In A Cell. 

It's not like he's going to be working a full schedule, even by Brock Lesnar in WWE standards, and it remains to be seen if he sticks around after the Saudi show, so I don't think it means anything in the grand scheme of things. The interesting question will be whether we see him involved when 'Mania season rolls around.

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

He was definitely closer to UFC shape than WWE shape when he showed up at Hell In A Cell. 

It's not like he's going to be working a full schedule, even by Brock Lesnar in WWE standards, and it remains to be seen if he sticks around after the Saudi show, so I don't think it means anything in the grand scheme of things. The interesting question will be whether we see him involved when 'Mania season rolls around.

Yeah, it's not so much the physical shape he's in, it's the time he takes to train and get into "fight shape."

He's going up against a guy who will tear his ass up if he's not on his game. In fact, he's going up against a guy who will probably tear his ass up regardless, but he wants to be in shape and ready to go before he steps in with DC.

Unless he's just looking for a payday.

• Paid Members

Doing this Saudi show won't be much of a hardship on Brock's ability to train for the fight with DC. If Brock loses to DC it'll be because he's not at DC's level/rusty/can't take a shot etc.

He'll have turned up at HIAC and then taken his private jet back home. He might do one appearance at a Raw before the show in November. Then he'll fly to Saudi for the match and fly home.

Brock doesn't do any of the other appearances that other people in WWE do, the media work, arriving at TV the morning of that night's show etc. Brock arrives on his own time and only turns up about one day a month, possibly two when with WWE. He's in a training camp at the minute, and probably took an evening off to go and get paid, rather than go bowling or to the cinema or to get dinner like I'm sure many other fighters do whilst in camp after a days training. 

What could hamper him more is that whilst his training camp being at his beckon call at his home makes it accessible, can train anytime of the day or night and is tailored around him is great . . . There were plenty of rumours for years that his coaches pandered to him and didn't treat him the way they would if it was their gym. They kept him sweet because he employed them to live with him in the sticks for the camp. Or so the rumours go. If that's still the case then that, and his actual ability, would be the things that are going to kill his chances against DC. I'm sure he's still putting plenty of hard hours graft in training. Those hours though may be doing the things he likes to do and not what he needs to do. 

Archived