Brock Lesnar news/appreciation/hate thread

ColinBollocks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The rest of your post mentions what a huge draw Lesnar is, surely he'd be the draw here, not DC, so it would make bank?

It would make bank solely off of Lesnar but it would make even more bank if they had the right opponent. And doesn't it make sense to maximize the drawing power of the Lesnar fight, especially as he may have only the one fight left in him?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Against anyone but Jones, Cormier has been an average draw at best, and I don't see that changing even if Cormier beats Jones.

Jones has always needed a big opponent as well to draw. When he's gone in there with likes of Gustaffson (before Gus was a big name),Teixiera or OSP, his numbers were in the 300k mark. When he's been in with Cormier/Rampage/Evans, the numbers have been big. Jones on his own isn't a big draw either.

Then why is Lesnar vs. Jones the fight the UFC wants? Lesnar against Hunt helped make UFC 200 huge, but in the here and now, in the discussion for Lesnar's next opponent, they want Lesnar vs. Jones. If it was just a big fight they wanted, they could have gone for Lesnar against Miocic, Overeem, even Velasquez. But they didn't. They're going for Lesnar vs. Jones, and that fight makes sense not just because it's a big money fight but because it has the potential to make Jones the big money player the UFC wants and needs, and you cannot deny that something like that, creating a new drawing card. isn't something that UFC both desperately needs and wants right now. Trying to create new drawing card fights right into the current UFC mindset.

Of course, that does make sense. Remember I said that this is if Cormier beats Jones. I never said putting in Cormier would make more sense than Jones. 

On top of that, if you're only going by making a superstar, Jones is the only option right now given his age etc. 

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Lesnar going for the heavyweight title, if they could have swung that, would be a far bigger fight than Lesnar vs. Cormier. I think Lesnar against Velasquez or even Overeem would be bigger.

You seem to be ignoring what I said though. This is if Cormier wins on Saturday. A Cormier win followed by a Lesnar fight would be far bigger than a Cain rematch or Overeem rematch. 

I do agree a title fight would be bigger, but as David rightfully says, that will never happen given Lesnar's situation. 

3 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

It would make bank solely off of Lesnar but it would make even more bank if they had the right opponent. And doesn't it make sense to maximize the drawing power of the Lesnar fight, especially as he may have only the one fight left in him?

It does.  However, as David said if Jones lost to Lesnar that would have a long term effect on his draw.  I know it wouldn't be as much of a financial success but I'd still love to see Barnett against Lesnar!

2 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

Jones has always needed a big opponent as well to draw. When he's gone in there with likes of Gustaffson (before Gus was a big name) and Teixiera, his numbers were in the 300k mark. When he's been in with Cormier/Rampage/Evans, the numbers have been big. Jones on his own isn't a big draw.

That's true, but the entire idea of the Lesnar vs. Jones fight is to make Jones the drawing card. And it makes no sense to waste the potential of that 'rub' on a guy who is the waning years of his career.

3 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

You seem to be ignoring what I said though. This is if Cormier wins on Saturday. A Cormier win followed by a Lesnar fight would be far bigger than a Cain rematch or Overeem rematch. 

I'm not ignoring what you said. I just don't agree with it. Even if Cormier beats Jones, I don't see Lesnar vs. Cormier being a big money fight.

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The rest of your post mentions what a huge draw Lesnar is, surely he'd be the draw here, not DC, so it would make bank?

Exactly.

Which is why if Lesnar does come back then it'll likely be to face a mid-level opponent who isn't anywhere near a title. Why run the risk of having a champion lose their title to a guy who's more than likely gonna say that he's done after the fight and head back to WWE? Or even worse, have a guy lose to him and then still be the champion at a lower weight class?

Throw in the whole drug failure shenanigans which sees him with six months still to spend, not to mention him having to be tested again. At 40 years old. 

I don't see it.

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

However, as David said if Jones lost to Lesnar that would have a long term effect on his draw.

Jones losing to Lesnar may not hurt his drawing power at all. Conor McGregor got choked out inside of two rounds by Nate Diaz in their first fight, but the second fight did even bigger business than the first. The wrong kind of loss can hurt drawing power, and if it's a string of losses, that definitely will hurt drawing power. But a single loss on its own may not hurt Jones drawing power at all.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, seanz25 said:

Cormier is on the way out anyway right? I swear he keeps mentioning only a few fights left here or there. Jones makes much more sense if he's sticking about long-term.

Which goes in line with exactly what David says. It's a zero risk fight.

As others have mentioned, what the fuck happens to Jones if he gets squashed by a man who more than likely will never fight again? It does nothing for them.

Lesnar just wants big fights, and outside of Jones (simply from the perspective of it being a money maker), a retiring Cormier would make sense to me. But, only if he's retiring. 

Just now, Noah Southworth said:

Jones losing to Lesnar may not hurt his drawing power at all. Conor McGregor got choked out inside of two rounds by Nate Diaz in their first fight, but the second fight did even bigger business than the first. The wrong kind of loss can hurt drawing power, and if it's a string of losses, that definitely will hurt drawing power. But a single loss on its own may not hurt Jones drawing power at all.

Nate Diaz isn't a 40 year old professional wrestler though, is he? 

Lesnar is an attraction fighter at this point. Nothing more. There's no title shots, and he's not fighting Jon Jones. All of this has sprung from some interviewer asking questions and ~DA MELTZ~ blowing smoke.

If Lesnar comes back (and lets be honest, it's a pretty big if with his drug ban and then having drug testers chasing him around until fight night) he'll be facing some dude on the level of a Mark Hunt. 

It'll be exciting, we'll all watch it and think it's great, he'll get popped for drugs again then he'll fuck off back to WWE.

• Paid Members

Carrying on from what David said, there's also the fact the reason why Mcgregor's 2nd fight with Nate was huge was because there was in fact the chance of doing a second fight. The narrative too contributed to it, and well, it's Mcgregor.

There's a very real chance you would see Jon Jones squashed against a man the size of Lesnar. Outside of a individual big buy, there's little upside to it. 

• Paid Members

It's worth noting Lesnar's contract is up around WrestleMania. It's very possible he sacks off the wrestling for at least the year, earning a couple of massive pay days before he's too old for the fight game. If the UFC are aware they've got him for 2/3 fights, then there is every chance they deviate from him facing Mark Hunt types for the rest of time.

We live in strange times, gentlemen. Debts need to be paid, or dae fucked it.

Re: Losses hurting drawing power.

Chuck Liddell got destroyed by Rashad Evans at UFC 88 and by Mauricio Rua at UFC 97. Yet a fight bereft of meaning at UFC 115 against Rich Franklin still drew over 500,000 buys. It even outdrew the Evans fight at UFC 88. The point is that losses, even one-sided losses, don't automatically hurt drawing power, and fighters can recover from them. And if Jones does lose to Lesnar, do you really think people are going to hold it against him that he lost to a guy who outweighed him by 50lbs or more? I think, for various reasons, people are greatly overplaying the affect a loss to Lesnar would have on Jones' drawing power.

Archived