Brock Lesnar news/appreciation/hate thread

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Noah posted this in the Jones/DC thread and he's right, probably deserves it's own thread, all the Brock news.

@Noah Southworth: This one may deserve its own thread, but it can stay here for now. Jones may have have his next opponent lined up already, if he wins on Saturday, and there is a good chance it will be Brock Lesnar. Dave Meltzer was on the LAW over the weekend and said when it comes to Lesnar's opponent for his potential UFC return, the name he's been told that the UFC want is Jon Jones. Jones talked about the fight on Facebook Live when promoting UFC 214  and said he would be up for fighting Lesnar, and Lesnar, who doesn't say or do anything without a reason, said he would be up for the fight as well.

Given that WME want and need big money fights, this would be the fight for them to make, ahead of Jones defending against Gustafsson or anyone else. Jones vs. Lesnar would be a huge.

Massive fight that. I posted a few days ago that given the need to generate big profit, the biggest Lesnar match is him challenging for the HW title, but this is a nice and mental alternative to that. It's got so many questions hanging over it too, which makes it an interesting match up, given the size advantage Lesnar has and the freaky strength/excellence of big lightweight Jones.

We can always take a side step and discuss how Lesnar smashing Mir's face in was the greatest moment in UFC history etc.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I mentioned in the other thread that I could realistically see Cormier facing Lesnar if he wins on Saturday too. In regards to a potential Jones fight, I actually think Lesnar probably mauls Jones. 

The key to beating Lesnar has always been being a big bastard who can hit hard. Jones is just too small for a beast of the likes of Lesnar who cuts to 265llbs. I could easily see Lesnar just doing what he does, and holding him down for the duration of the fight. 

My view is that Lesnar, whilst under contract to WWE, doesn't get anywhere near a title shot or a guy holding a UFC belt at any weight.

With his current situation he's an "attraction", someone who comes in and fights, fails a drug test then fucks off again back to WWE. Why would the UFC put Jon Jones in there to lose to someone who'll likely just hold him down and outsize him? Destroy the reputation and marketability of a guy like Jones for one fight with Lesnar? That would be dumb.

And if Cormier wins then I don't see the UFC running the chance of a WWE-contracted attraction fighter beating their champion.

If Lesnar comes back it'll be for an "attraction" type fight against a name, but someone who's not really in a top position with the company at the moment. I don't see it being Jones, Cormier (unless Cormier loses to Jones), Overeem or Cain.

• Paid Members

The other thing, for the life of me I can't think of a worse combination as Jones & Lesnar when you're hoping for a main event to stick together. You've got a Lesnar who needs to pass endless random piss tests, along with probably the biggest fuck up in MMA history. 

The way Meltzer talked about Lesnar vs. Jones, it sounded like that the UFC want the fight because they expect Jones to win and they believe that it will make Jones into a superstar and a major drawing card, which is something they badly need.

I think we’re going to see two sides in the debate over Lesnar vs. Jones, and we’re already seeing that play out. There will be the side who believe that Lesnar is too big and powerful for Jones, that he’ll steamroll over him and take him down and either pound him out or just hold him down for three/five rounds. And there will be the side who believe that Jones is too talented and athletically gifted and that he’ll find a way to neutralize the size and power of Brock and will likely pick him apart from a distance.

We saw something similar when Lesnar was put against Randy Couture; people tended to fall into one of two camps, each one having a very specific belief of how the fight would go, and each one being resolute in that belief. That fight ended up with Lesnar and Couture both enjoying the kind of advantage the different sides expected to see, and I think we’ll the same thing in Lesnar vs. Jones if it ever does happen. I think Lesnar vs. Jones will be more competitive than either side thinks.

4 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

The way Meltzer talked about Lesnar vs. Jones, it sounded like that the UFC want the fight because they expect Jones to win and they believe that it will make Jones into a superstar and a major drawing card, which is something they badly need.

I think we’re going to see two sides in the debate over Lesnar vs. Jones, and we’re already seeing that play out. There will be the side who believe that Lesnar is too big and powerful for Jones, that he’ll steamroll over him and take him down and either pound him out or just hold him down for three/five rounds. And there will be the side who believe that Jones is too talented and athletically gifted and that he’ll find a way to neutralize the size and power of Brock and will likely pick him apart from a distance.

We saw something similar when Lesnar was put against Randy Couture; people tended to fall into one of two camps, each one having a very specific belief of how the fight would go, and each one being resolute in that belief. That fight ended up with Lesnar and Couture both enjoying the kind of advantage the different sides expected to see, and I think we’ll the same thing in Lesnar vs. Jones if it ever does happen. I think Lesnar vs. Jones will be more competitive than either side thinks.

If Lesnar wins though, what then? He's not a full-time UFC fighter, he's a WWE wrestler.

He beats Jones, then he leaves. And in his wake is a star who could be leading the company for years who's been beaten by a part-time fighter who's pushing 40 years old most likely because he was simply facing a wrestler who had a huge size advantage on him.

It makes no real sense beyond the initial PPV buys for the fight. 

6 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

It's why I see Cormier as the better option David. Let's say Cormier wins, I can see him then retiring with a fight against Lesnar. 

I can see the Cormier fight if he loses to Jones. I don't see the UFC allowing their champion to face a guy who could beat him and then quickly piss off back to the pro wrestling scene.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

I can see the Cormier fight if he loses to Jones. I don't see the UFC allowing their champion to face a guy who could beat him and then quickly piss off back to the pro wrestling scene.

I don't think it would be an issue if he decides to drop the belt and say the Lesnar fight is his retirement bout though.

I don't see him dropping the belt. 

If we're all 100% honest with ourselves, a Lesnar return will likely see him matched up with someone on a Mark Hunt type level again. He's not getting near a title or someone who's holding a belt.

8 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

Let's say Cormier wins, I can see him then retiring with a fight against Lesnar. 

That’s exactly why the UFC will not make Lesnar vs. Cormier unless they have to. The UFC’s mindset appears to be that Lesnar has one more fight in him, if that and they intend to try and create a new star and drawing card off of that fight. Even if Cormier beats Jones, he’s not going to be the long term star and drawing card the UFC want, so they’re not going to put him in a position to get ‘the rub’ off of Lesnar unless they have no other fight to make. And that’s even assuming it’s a fight that Lesnar sees as worth coming back for. Lesnar wants the big money fights and Lesnar vs. Cormier, as intriguing as it might be, isn’t a big money fight.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Noah Southworth said:

That’s exactly why the UFC will not make Lesnar vs. Cormier unless they have to. The UFC’s mindset appears to be that Lesnar has one more fight in him, if that and they intend to try and create a new star and drawing card off of that fight. Even if Cormier beats Jones, he’s not going to be the long term star and drawing card the UFC want, so they’re not going to put him in a position to get ‘the rub’ off of Lesnar unless they have no other fight to make. And that’s even assuming it’s a fight that Lesnar sees as worth coming back for. Lesnar wants the big money fights and Lesnar vs. Cormier, as intriguing as it might be, isn’t a big money fight.

Lesnar vs Cormier is without doubt a big money fight if Cormier does indeed beat Jones. I also don't really agree with the making a new star rub either. 

If they felt that way, they wouldn't have put Lesnar in with Mark Hunt at UFC 200 when at that point it was considered to be 1 and done for Lesnar. 

Outside of Jones, Cormier (with a Jones win) would be without a doubt the biggest fight they could make, especially if it ends up being Cormier's retirement.

10 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

Lesnar vs Cormier is without doubt a big money fight if Cormier does indeed beat Jones.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Against anyone but Jones, Cormier has been an average draw at best, and I don't see that changing even if Cormier beats Jones.

I also don't really agree with the making a new star rub either.

Then why is Lesnar vs. Jones the fight the UFC wants? Lesnar against Hunt helped make UFC 200 huge, but in the here and now, in the discussion for Lesnar's next opponent, they want Lesnar vs. Jones. If it was just a big fight they wanted, they could have gone for Lesnar against Miocic, Overeem, even Velasquez. But they didn't. They're going for Lesnar vs. Jones, and that fight makes sense not just because it's a big money fight but because it has the potential to make Jones the big money player the UFC wants and needs, and you cannot deny that something like that, creating a new drawing card. isn't something that UFC both desperately needs and wants right now. Trying to create new drawing card fights right into the current UFC mindset.

Cormier (with a Jones win) would be without a doubt the biggest fight they could make, especially if it ends up being Cormier's retirement.

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Lesnar going for the heavyweight title, if they could have swung that, would be a far bigger fight than Lesnar vs. Cormier. I think Lesnar against Velasquez or even Overeem would be bigger.

1 minute ago, Noah Southworth said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Against anyone but Jones, Cormier has been an average draw at best, and I don't see that changing even if Cormier beats Jones.

The rest of your post mentions what a huge draw Lesnar is, surely he'd be the draw here, not DC, so it would make bank?

Archived