The UKFF's ULTIMATE Action Hero [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

John Matrix

• Moderators

Thing is, Atticus Finch was a man of action, a hero, and more man than anyone. Would he qualify? As much as I love hackneyed 80's actions films, the badassery of a Finch, or Fonda in 12 Angry Men is cooler and larger of testes.

Or say, McQueen in Bullitt, or Caine in Get Carter. Do they qualify? Is this a question of manly awesomeness or 80s action? Honestly wondering

Edited by PowerButchi

40 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Any guy, any era, any genre.  Just no comic book characters - they don't count in this.

That first part has buggered up half my list. The last bit seems like quite a wide restriction compared to just 'nobody who flies or wears a cape' too.

Et tu, Gus?

So we've established that casual sexism and thirtysomethings acting like playground bullies* are fine, and taking things at face value is bad? Got it.

*Actually, I guess for this one thread, that's actually sort of appropriate. But seriously, lay off the abuse.

4 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Benefit of doubt here and all that, but was that point about capes and flying seriously ambiguous? 

First of all, thanks for not being dismissive. Yeah, I missed off the "and the like" part of that quote from the opening post which makes your criteria less ambiguous. I still think there are a couple of characters from comics that fit the description of 'action hero', but whatever - you're the one who's making the effort to put together the list, so you make the rules.

I'll just go hide in my corner of the forum and apply arbitrary rules there instead. :p 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Et tu, Gus?

So we've established that casual sexism and thirtysomethings acting like playground bullies* are fine, and taking things at face value is bad? Got it.

*Actually, I guess for this one thread, that's actually sort of appropriate. But seriously, lay off the abuse.

Your pedantry, in this case incorrect pedantry, makes you look a berk once again, one person posts a half-appropriate, faintly mocking gif, and that's abuse / bullying?

You don't know what abuse / bullying is. This is the second time you've made this completely unfounded accusation on this forum and I'm getting really fucking tired of it. Some of the actual abuse that people have suffered on here, most of which you wouldn't know about, would make your head spin.

You insist on being aggressively pedantic, something you now appear to wear as a badge of honour. If it's misplaced, which it almost always is, you deserve to be called out on it. If it's wrong, which it was in this case, you deserve to be called out on it. Why can't you just POST without having to try and correct someone every fucking time?

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Thing is, Atticus Finch was a man of action, a hero, and more man than anyone. Would he qualify? As much as I love hackneyed 80's actions films, the badassery of a Finch, or Fonda in 12 Angry Men is cooler and larger of testes.

Or say, McQueen in Bullitt, or Caine in Get Carter. Do they qualify? Is this a question of manly awesomeness or 80s action? Honestly wondering

Great call on both Finch and Fonda! I tried to think outside the 80s box on my list - don't think any of them will actually make it to the final countdown but you never know!

• Paid Members

Well if they don't qualify, my lists fucked. I think John will allow the above examples, he just doesn't want people with super powers such as flying and silly shite. I hope that's the case anyway. I'm really looking forward to seeing the list and also the post craic after. The 'why' they made your list could be a great read.

• Paid Members

If you can justify why they deserve a spot, then they're eligible...unless they fly, wear a costume etc, because as I think we've established, thats not my bag and it's my list!

Seriously though, I've had more lists in I expected and hope there's more to come - if it makes life easier just ping me names for now.  When I know what the top ten looks like, I can hit you up for details then.