Top Twitter

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Can't say I'm a big fan of that copper soaking vid. Maybe it's because I'm a white man who's never had issues with the police but that just comes off as incredibly cruel. The emergency services are spread incredibly thin as it is, so it just angers me when the ones who are sticking around get treated like that. God knows what he had to do afterwards, but it probably meant one less policeman on the streets for a while, a bollocking from his higher-ups for getting caught out like that and tons of ridicule from his colleagues which is just what the extremely strained service needs. Speculation of course but warranted.

Then again, if it was some regular bloke or a chavvy looking lad getting soaked I would've laughed, so that 100% outs me as a hypocrite with my own biases.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

Then again, if it was some regular bloke or a chavvy looking lad getting soaked I would've laughed, so that 100% outs me as a hypocrite with my own biases.

And to be honest, that turn of phrase does you no favours either.

12 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Can't say I'm a big fan of that copper soaking vid. Maybe it's because I'm a white man who's never had issues with the police but that just comes off as incredibly cruel. The emergency services are spread incredibly thin as it is, so it just angers me when the ones who are sticking around get treated like that. God knows what he had to do afterwards, but it probably meant one less policeman on the streets for a while, a bollocking from his higher-ups for getting caught out like that and tons of ridicule from his colleagues which is just what the extremely strained service needs. Speculation of course but warranted.

There’s a lot to unpack here mate.

You don’t have to be a white man or to have experienced issues with the police to see that there is a lot wrong at an institutional level. 

Plus the last paragraph doesn’t read great and maybe you didn’t mean it to sound as cold as it comes across.

Anyway, the videos probably a fake anyway.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

It’s definitely fake. The person across the road waiting to film it. A copper just walking down that stretch of road randomly. Still, was mildly amusing. The reactions in the replies have been funnier by the people who want justice taken. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

And to be honest, that turn of phrase does you no favours either.

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

There’s a lot to unpack here mate.

You don’t have to be a white man or to have experienced issues with the police to see that there is a lot wrong at an institutional level. 

Plus the last paragraph doesn’t read great and maybe you didn’t mean it to sound as cold as it comes across.

Yep, I knew it wouldn't be a popular post. Maybe I'm getting old and I just find this incessant pranking culture to be really exhausting.

I also must be really old and/or closed off  because I had no idea that 'chav' was in any way an offensive term. That's an honest mistake on my part. To me, chavs are the Burberry-clad subculture who bullied me relentlessly in school and were  causing massive amounts of trouble in Birmingham back in the early 00's so I've always held onto it as an insult for anyone causing trouble who just so happens to be wearing a tracksuit. If it's become something more than that (like maybe it's become a term commonly used by Tories to define the working classes for example), then I'll happily cease using it.

The whole "I'm a white man" thing is just meant to be light-hearted shtick to show that I've personalty never experienced any wrong-doing by the police with the exception of their time keeping skills being incredibly shit due to budget costs and poor structuring. I'm well aware of the many issues with the police, but I'm also very well aware that some are just genuine people with no ties to anything untoward. It's an extremely brittle subject that I find myself uncomfortable discussing.

I've opened a bucket of worms with it anyway and I probably deserve the scorn that's coming my way and the silent judgement. All this from a shitty Twitter video that, as pointed out, is probably fake. I'll see myself out for a bit.

• Paid Members

I was helping out at a youth club when I was 16 - it shared a run-down old building with a makeshift recording studio, practice spaces, and events room, so became a bit of a hang-out spot for all the goth kids and whatnot. I happened to say the word "chav" to the lead youth worker, and he said, "now Pat, you wouldn't be disparaging working class young males, now, would you?". Soon shut me up.

I know what you mean in terms of associating the term with certain groups of people, but it's a term absolutely loaded with class prejudice - as are all the signifiers of the term; tracksuits, burberry, and so on.