6 Week Summer Holidays

Abe Mikkel

• Paid Members

Fortunately my kids only get 5 weeks because they have a 2 week half term, so it's nearly 17% less painful than it might have been.

Just basically used to lie around watching the cricket and if there wasn't any cricket on, go out and play cricket. My summers were very cricket-orientated and then I got a SNES.

We also used to go on holidays abroad, usually to Malta for 2 weeks, which was essentially one long hunt for arcades and moaning at my dad to let me play on the arcades, then a week somewhere in southern England for more of the same. There was a year when two Maltese girls started hitting on me, which I found very confusing, hence my reaction of running to the Dragon's Breed machine when I realised it was free.

Form an orderly queue ladies etc.

• Paid Members

I went to Malta once, and that was my entire experience too. Too old to go and do kiddie club stuff, too young to get beer from the vending machines and see Baby D in concert. If I wasn't on an outing with my parents to some church, I was playing the arcades in the hotel basement. And they pulled me out of school two weeks before the summer holidays because it was a cheap deal, so there was next to no-one my age there.

• Paid Members

Everyone on the mainland is missing out. The little buggers (pure jealousy on my part) here in Northern Ireland get 9 weeks and some places close to 10 for Summer holidays. 

1 week mid-term at Halloween and 1 week in February. 2 weeks at Christmas (at least) and 2 weeks at Easter (some times they get an extra 2-3 days at Easter or Christmas if they can join it up with teacher training near the time). 

To be back in school again would be like winning the lotto folks. More or less 16 weeks Annual Leave a year fuck sake. I work in the NHS, which has damn good leave, and it's still about half of that. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I work in a college but I'm still on leave at the moment. I walked outside 10 mins ago to get something from the car, the weather is miserable, it's dark, grey and cold. Then I remembered that the kids go back today. Even just the idea of 'back to school' made my stomach twist for a brief second, until the auto realisation that I'm in my 30's and overwhelming joy kicked in. 

God I hated school, I had a horrid time. No idea why I've chosen education as a career pathway.

• Paid Members

Ha, same - hated every minute of school, though I've actually ended up working for a college I (usually) enjoyed my time at, even if I was an appalling student. Basically just fell into this line of work, though.

I've been in all summer, but the rest of the staff got back Monday. I was off work Monday, came back to 70+ unread emails, as everyone who hasn't been in for the last six weeks came in full of ideas that absolutely needed doing immediately. Bloody nightmare.

Freshers week next week, so it's not going to get any easier.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Ha, same - hated every minute of school, though I've actually ended up working for a college I (usually) enjoyed my time at, even if I was an appalling student. Basically just fell into this line of work, though.

I've been in all summer, but the rest of the staff got back Monday. I was off work Monday, came back to 70+ unread emails, as everyone who hasn't been in for the last six weeks came in full of ideas that absolutely needed doing immediately. Bloody nightmare.

Freshers week next week, so it's not going to get any easier.

I wish I could go back to 70 emails, I took 5 days off during the summer hols (before I went on leave) and came back to over 130. That's with minimal staff, however, our dept get rinsed by everyone else and we end up doing loads of shit we probably shouldn't be... gripe over.

I've got until end of November before I'm due back. I think I'm going to start looking for a new job some point in Oct. I need a change. There is a place up here that you can volunteer at in regards to wood reclamation. You give your time by going out in the van to collect wood to be repurposed. In return they train you to be a joiner/craftsman. I consider myself an amateur craftsman in the sense I have made a few tables/troffs etc, but the idea of being taught properly for free is very appealing. 

Archived