6 Week Summer Holidays

Abe Mikkel

It's that time, the kids are breaking up for school for the big 6 week holidays. Nowadays doesn't mean much to me, still got to work, only difference is is the rush hour traffic isn't bad.

But it gotĀ me thinking of memories of the 6 week holidays and the excitement that went with it, Holidays, day's out, summer holiday TV.Ā 

I used to love going the Rhyl Suncentre, happy days. Was also excited to see what TV programmes were put on telly for the holidays. "Why Don't You?" "The Bigger Breakfast" old films on BBC2.Ā 

What are your favourite memories of the 6 week holidays?

I remember my mate, probably about 10 at the time, being told by some random visiting kid at his house that his school got sevenĀ weeks off for the summer holidays.

"Yeah, well we get eight weeks," my friend bragged.

"No we don't," I helpfully interjected, "We get six!"

He didn't have to voice his appreciation, it was more of an unspoken understanding I guess. Always there to keep best friends on the straight and narrow, me.

I advise people to check out clips of TheĀ Big Breakfast on Youtube. My god, it hasn't aged well. One clip I saw was entitled "Coxy goes too far" or words to that effect. Sarah Cox is asked what she's doing after the show and she replies "hopefully I'll be making love!"Ā 

Liza Tarbuck almost shits out a lung in shock, and the wacky camera crew are bent double, not just because of laughter, but because of their shite camera work which consists of them crouching and literally moving the camera in a sickening swivel motion.Ā 

That's before you get to Chris Evans, who you would literally throw out the window if he acted the way he does inĀ your house. Jumping on the furniture, and generally acting like a ginger cokehead cunt.Ā 

Give me Daybreak any day of the week.

Ā 

Ā 

• Moderators

I work afternoons and nights so I'm looking forward to screaming out of my bedroom window at unwashed 7 year olds smashing a football against the garages with metal doors across the road at 8am to shut the fuck up.Ā 

• Moderators

I imagine if I heard the opening titles to Wacaday, I'd have such a visceral sense-memory, I'd probably quantum leap back into my 9-year-old self. Surely that phrase 'The Lost Generation' refers to people like myself, whose school-free periods of childhood are so forcibly linked to Timmy Mallett cunting about with one of his short-legs rolled up. I'm struggling to pull anything else out of the hippocampus. Playing football with my chums down the park? Going to the beach? Playing Mallet's M-- fucksake.

Though, that 'best days of your life' thing adults pulled when you were moaning about school ("soon you'll be old and bald with bills to pay!") makes a bit of sense when you look back to summer holidays. I think I'd struggle to have six weeks of doing fuck all now where I'd be able to enjoy it without the guilt and self-loathing you get from doing fuck all. Bank holidays are about all I can take.

Actually, there's one thing that's evokes even more of a powerful harking back to the past than Wacaday, so much so that when I post this link, I fully expect to "Oh boy!" back into my young body, where I'll not even bother warning people about 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw26fLW_gg4

Weird foreign kids shows are the summer holidayest thing of all.

I love this time of year. I work on planning water mains repairs and doing works near schools either has to be done at night or weekends which is a hassle and often goes tits up. With schools closed no problems.

Oh I got 8 weeks holiday. But my school did not finish until 4:15 each day.

• Paid Members

I'd be in a caravan in Cornwall for at least 2 weeks, more if my dad was laid off which happened now and then before he was moved off the production line.Ā 

Apart from that I just had fun around the house by myself up to teenage years when we would just piss-pootle about town. A couple of the latter years had regular cricket games and a chat to the women in the petrol station we called Michael. Its gone now, replaced by a lidl with a travellodge above it.Ā 

I remember one year in the last week eating a tin of beans and sausage with a tin of meatballs added, toast on the side for dipping, while watching an elvis film (clambake iirc) and thinking 'there's only 6 years of high-school left, then I can do something I enjoy and with people who aren't cunts'. I was wrong obviously, but I can have a bottle of vodka with the beans, sausage and meatballs to help me forget that.Ā 

9 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'd be in a caravan in Cornwall for at least 2 weeks, more if my dad was laid off which happened now and then before he was moved off the production line.Ā 

Apart from that I just had fun around the house by myself up to teenage years when we would just piss-pootle about town. A couple of the latter years had regular cricket games and a chat to the women in the petrol station we called Michael. Its gone now, replaced by a lidl with a travellodge above it.Ā 

I remember one year in the last week eating a tin of beans and sausage with a tin of meatballs added, toast on the side for dipping, while watching an elvis film (clambake iirc) and thinking 'there's only 6 years of high-school left, then I can do something I enjoy and with people who aren't cunts'. I was wrong obviously, but I can have a bottle of vodka with the beans, sausage and meatballs to help me forget that.Ā 

So you're favourite petrol station with Michael was replaced with a travel tavern. It's like watching I'm Alan Patridge in rewind.

• Paid Members

Lidl with a Travelodge above it, by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

i used to get packed off for at least two out of our six weeks to my mama and grandad'sĀ caravan in Ingoldmells. They upgraded in later years, but till I was about ten that meant hand pumping water, pissing in a bucket, and not bathing for a week. It was great.

I've worked predominately in schools for the past 10 years but this is the first time I've had a term time only contract so as of Friday I will have 5 weeks (and some days) off for the first time since I was in education myself. I've got a lot to do - moving and my wedding but I'm quite giddy at the idea of having so much time off

• Paid Members

One of the worst things is that realisation, a year or two out of school, working a shitty job, that getting six weeks off for no particular reason just isn't a thing that will happen to you again.

I work in education now, non-teaching, and not term time, so I'm currently sat in an empty office because no other fucker is at work until September.

Archived