Any Fitness People Who Know About Exercises For Disabled Bloke?

Cod Eye

• Paid Members

Bit of a long shot, but I know a few on here are into fitness, and obviously some are training to be wrestlers, so will have to take their fitness seriously.

Basically, I'm physically disabled. I suffer from a quite aggressive type of Psoriatic Arthritis in most of my joints, back and feet. It's left me pretty much immobile for about 80%(at a guess) of the time, and this has caused me to get well out of shape and pile the weight on. Think Jim Neidhart without the Tapout gear.

I'm looking for something I can do at home to try and move a bit of the weight and just make myself feel a bit better really. Do any of you have any experience of exercises/training that is suitable for disabled person?

Thanks in advance...

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

You not looked into DDP yoga?

I've considered it, but didn't fancy paying out if wasn't suitable. And as far as I know there isn't a trial option. It's a shame as on paper it could be perfect...

Also, it's not contracted so you can cancel at any time. So if after one month you can bin it off.

DDP Yoga is pretty great, particularly for people with mobility issues/disability as its very focused on pacing, and working through problems. There's even a series on there that includes using a chair as a prop.

• Paid Members

7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Also, it's not contracted so you can cancel at any time. So if after one month you can bin it off.

DDP Yoga is pretty great, particularly for people with mobility issues/disability as its very focused on pacing, and working through problems. There's even a series on there that includes using a chair as a prop.

I didn't realise it wasn't contracted. I'll have a look into it more. Thanks!

Is it any good for loosing weight, what with it being fairly low impact?

Yeah, combined with a healthy diet it's a great tool for getting in better shape and losing weight.

The app is definitely better than the cd's too as you can track all your progress, which is nice for motivation.

• Paid Members

I have frequented various torrent sites over the years, but stealing something that could literally transform the way my body looks and feels wouldn't sit right with me. 

• Paid Members

Hi Cod

Right, couple of bits that might be of interest. I'll start on a tangent but it should make sense.

Firstly, which local authority do you belong to?

The reason I ask is that most have now created something called 'the local offer' which is part of a development scheme for that authorities community. For example, Newcastle's is basically a directory of every school, activity project etc etc, with it being aimed at those with disabilities.

My team have been developing an entry regarding inclusive sport opportunities in Newcastle, so by all means check if your authority has a local offer web page and see if there's anything that stands out.

Failing that, jump on to google, type in your authority or city followed by 'inclusive sports'.

Our team offer learners with disabilities the chance to become involved in sports, regardless of physical, sensory, wellbeing or learning barriers. For example, wheelchair basketball, football, badminton, Boccia, table tennis etc. Our inclusive football team has just taken part in a UK tourney after a year of training and we access coaches from NUFC who lead sessions. None of these people had taken part in sports before due to the barriers they face.

Anyway, point being that please don't believe that you can't take part in a sport. See what's available in your area and check it out. 

Low level pilates and core exercises are a great way to help start getting fit, all about increasing core strength, low impact. Many exercise vids etc will have low impact version knocking about on YouTube Debbie Seibers and Jillian Michaels were recommended on here donkeys ago when I was learning to walk again and they were really good as can dip in and out. Darebee is also a good resource 

X

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Hi Cod

Right, couple of bits that might be of interest. I'll start on a tangent but it should make sense.

Firstly, which local authority do you belong to?

The reason I ask is that most have now created something called 'the local offer' which is part of a development scheme for that authorities community. For example, Newcastle's is basically a directory of every school, activity project etc etc, with it being aimed at those with disabilities.

My team have been developing an entry regarding inclusive sport opportunities in Newcastle, so by all means check if your authority has a local offer web page and see if there's anything that stands out.

Failing that, jump on to google, type in your authority or city followed by 'inclusive sports'.

Our team offer learners with disabilities the chance to become involved in sports, regardless of physical, sensory, wellbeing or learning barriers. For example, wheelchair basketball, football, badminton, Boccia, table tennis etc. Our inclusive football team has just taken part in a UK tourney after a year of training and we access coaches from NUFC who lead sessions. None of these people had taken part in sports before due to the barriers they face.

Anyway, point being that please don't believe that you can't take part in a sport. See what's available in your area and check it out. 

That sounds like a brilliant scheme and I can see it helping a hell of a lot of people. I found when my health deteriorated that one of the worst aspects was the feeling of exclusion that comes when you have to stop participating in things. That scheme looks like it could be a godsend!

Im from Barnsley, and from what I can gather the cuts to funding has taken away a lot of services for disabled people. For example, the local leasure centre/swimming baths used to run loads of sessions for disabled people(so they can exercise without feeling they are in the way of abled bodied people, or feeling like they are taking the piss), but now the only session they do is at 7am on a Wednesday morning, which unfortunately isn't suitable for me.

I will have a look into other things tough, as I had no idea these sort of schemes were out there still. Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated! 

• Paid Members

Put me down as pushing the DDP Yoga. I got into the best shape of my life using it, but then life got in the way and I fell spectacularly off the wagon. If you're worried about getting started properly I know they've had some people consulting with them and have either recently introduced or are about to introduce a workout you can do in a chair, which may be a good way to get into it until you're feeling a bit more confident to try the other workouts, but you can always modify to make it as easy or challenging as you want it to be. 

• Paid Members

I have just been on and signed up for DDP Yoga. It looks interesting and the dietary side of it looks like it isn't too restrictive. 

Going to get myself a fitbit or the like as monitoring my heart rate seems to be a big part of it. I haven't really watched any of the videos yet, but s it best to start with the warm up them move onto the "Diamond Dozen"? 

Archived