Austin Aries is on the dole

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

He was a victim of bad timing, really. Came in full of hype in NXT, only to then immediately get overlooked because Shinsuke Nakamura debuted at the same time, and was the shinier, newer, better thing. Managed to start to salvage that into a storyline and a heel run, only to get hurt. By the time he was brought back, there was a Cruiserweight division to slot him into.

They were clearly high on him within that division to give him the commentary spot to get his character out there well before he debuted, and to give him a significant programme with Neville, but the division's a backwater for as long as it's weirdly segregated from the rest of the roster.

Story I saw was that he was pitching a programme with Seth Rollins, and basically throwing his weight around and acting like a know-it-all megastar. I suspect it was probably as much him requesting his release as them being sick of him and having nothing planned for him.

I'm not really a fan of the guy - always comes across as a prick on social media and the like - but can't really blame him for wanting out if he felt his career wasn't going on anywhere. Just hope he doesn't start cropping up much in promotions I actually watch, but he's hardly going to be short of work whenever he gets back in the ring. Tempting to start a pool on how long before he dons a Bullet Club shirt.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived