Gus Mears

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
17 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Sports Direct has bought 25% of GAME:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/13/sports-direct-buys-a-25-stake-in-game-6775860

Keen on getting into eSports, apparently.

That last line is interesting, I can only assume from a sponsorship point if view, although it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to develop a team for international championships.

Interesting to read how poorly Game are doing profit wise. It's no surprise that profits aren't amazing what with more people downloading new release, buying pre-owned from CEX and the like and the fact that they are receiving minimal new hardware such as the switch.

As the article says, there will be easier ways in to esports. I can't see what he can possibly do to revive the Game chain though.

• Paid Members

Presumably Game manages to survive based on exclusives and pre-order bonuses and the like, otherwise I don't see how they manage.

Video game retail is likely to move back towards small independent retailers, I think. As more people buy digital, major stores will struggle, whereas smaller stores that can offer a more personal, bespoke service and knowledge base should start to outperform the major chains. Or maybe that's just me being overly optimistic.

• Paid Members

I think as the overall market has never been bigger (I am saying that with no evidence and pure guess work, but more people play games these days than ever, right?), Game will have a place for the mainstream and casual buyers in the foreseeable future. When Auntie Ballbagface wants to by her nephew or niece a birthday present, and he wants the latest Mario Kart, oh look there's a video games shop- they must sell it! And shit like that. Anyone with any ounce of sense will by digitally or from a cheap website.

That said, I bought my Xbox One from Game 2 years ago because it was genuinely the best offer I could find at the time, and that was after a good couple of weeks of scouring the net for good deals.

I'm no so sure about smaller independents taking up more of the market, though. Smaller independents tend to be more expensive to buy from as they will struggle with overheads more than large (and tax avoiding, in some cases) corporate firms. It would definitely be nicer, but I can't see it myself.

• Paid Members

I can recommend Playnation, they get a lot of good stuff in, and they're lovely chaps to boot. There was another place in nearby Streatham called Retro Game Base that has sadly closed down. 

• Paid Members

Used to be one in Wood Green called Shekhana. I did my work experience there. It always smelled funny and the assistant manager was a dick.

Couple years later, after the store had closed down, I saw him working in a Blockbuster that had  Game store inside. We all know how that went. 

Archived