Best and Worst PPV Brand

mackie

I got a bit bored on my commute home earlier and started trying to work out the best and worst PPV brands based on which ones the quality of all the shows under that brand. 

Turns out it was much more difficult than I thought it would be and it made me get very nerdy on wrestling trivia so I thought it would be fun to see what other people thought. 

I was working on the following rules

- A brand counts as anything with 3 or more occurrences (so no December to Dismember, Breaking point etc.)

- You can count things if thematically the same but there are slight name changes (Taboo Tuesday/ Cyber Sunday, Beach Blast/Bash at the Beach, Any thing that started with "In Your House ...."

- Anything with the name should be included even if there a big gaps or it switches companies (Great American Bash, Backlash etc.)

Here's what I went with 

Best 

I think Wrestlemania just about comes out on top, there are a few poor ones but on average the good out weighs the bad.

Wreslte Kingdom in the last few years has been incredible but there are too many years of shoot style stuff held it back for me.

Other great showings

ECW Heatwave - 1998 to 2000 were really good ECW shows in retrospective

WWE One Night Stand - Would have won if 2007 wasn't terrible

WCW Spring Stampede - Apart from the very dull 2000 show the rest have some really good matches often involving DDP but also the 1994 Flair vs Steamboat match.

Worst

WWE Vengeance seems to edge it for me, very rarely a good show and always seemed to be overshadowed by Summerslam.

Very close to bottom was The Great American Bash which never had a good WWE show but I would say was saved by some of the NWA/early WCW shows.

Also worth a mention

WCW Souled Out - Very forgettable shows and a few horrible ones but WCW late 90's WCW under-cards saved this one

WWE Payback - In the world of unimaginative show names this is right up there and the shows are equally forgettable.

Over to you, let me know your thoughts and if you agree or disagree ... or don't 

Vengeance 2005 is absolutely class with HBK/Angle 2, Cena/Christian/Jericho and Batistas best match in the cell against HHH so it gets a pass from me. 

I think last year's was good but "Battleground" is some uninspired stuff.

Tempted to vote Taboo Tuesday because the whole voting system was basically always totally void, you'll have two shite options for every category and one actual one. Slipping in "choose your fantasy" grottiness with the "divas" certainly drives it close, but honestly I'll go with Hell In A Cell, the events are usually totally fine/great even but was it worth basically ruining their most important gimmick match/ender of big feuds in favour of going "well it's September or whatever, time to bust out the cell"? Not at all for me. TLC and Elimination Chamber have a similar issue, but the former importance HiaC used to organically hold clinches it for me 

Agree 100 percent with Hell in a Cell. As a kid I used to flip whenever Vince or the commissioner of the time would say those four words, because it usually always happened as the resolution to a feud that could be settled no other way. Now it's become just another gimmick match. The most memorable recent Hell in a Cell didn't even happen on the HIAC show, but on Mania last year when Shane tried to kill himself to save that average match with Taker. Proof positive that the HIAC PPV itself isn't needed, as they'll still wheel it out elsewhere and usually in a far more appropriate setting.

3 minutes ago, theironshake said:

The Answer is Uncensored. Every one was awful and incredibly censored. I love wcw but that ppv brand was horrible

This is true - the only time I ever remember seeing blood at Uncensored was in the Hogan-Flair cage match in '99 - which was actually a decent match on an otherwise shite show.

Souled Out was another pile of shite - and a worthy shout as the overall winner because all of them were terrible at best.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, mackie said:

Worst

WWE Vengeance seems to edge it for me, very rarely a good show and always seemed to be overshadowed by Summerslam.

Objection! Strongly disagree with this one. Whilst Vengeance 2001 hardly set the world on fire (but did have the historic title unification tournament), the 2002 and 2003 editions were brilliant shows. Really enjoyable and probably my favourite non-big 4 PPVs of their respective years.

2002 had one of my all-time favourite WWE three-ways (Angle, Rock, Taker), Brock VS RVD, Booker VS Show in a surprisingly really decent bout and a solid undercard (including Hogan). 2003 was even better- kicking off with Eddie VS Benoit, Taker VS Cena, another excellent three-way (Angle, Brock, Show), another solid undercard, the APA invitational bar brawl and the McMahon/Zach Gowen match where Vince pissed blood like mad. Didn't watch 2004 or 2005, but didn't the latter have a really good three-way with Cena, Jericho and Christian?

So I'd actually put Vengeance as my top PPV brand outside of the top 4. Survivor Series was always my favourite as a kid, but until recently it was just left to waste. Good to see they're making a big deal about it again and capitalising on what brand recognition it has left.

Good idea for a thread. Oh, and Glen is a fucking idiot.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

2003 was even better- kicking off with Eddie VS Benoit, Taker VS Cena, another excellent three-way (Angle, Brock, Show), another solid undercard, the APA invitational bar brawl and the McMahon/Zach Gowen match where Vince pissed blood like mad.

Don't gloss over Rey & Kidman vs Haas & Benjamin, that was superb.

Vengeance 2005 was brilliant virtually from start to bloody violent finish.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:24 PM, theironshake said:

The Answer is Uncensored. Every one was awful and incredibly censored. I love wcw but that ppv brand was horrible

I really liked Uncensored 1999 back in the day, was the last WCW VHS I bought when it came out along with Spring Stampede 99 ( I made the wrong choice obviously )

• Paid Members
On 7/5/2017 at 11:31 PM, tiger_rick said:

Best is Royal Rumble for me. I even enjoy the worst ones. 

This was my immediate thought after reader the original post. No matter the outcome, the rumble match itself is nearly always a spectacle and it is one of the premier PPV brands, not to mention one of the most recognisable, in wrestling history.

Even the worst rumble events are normally redeemed somewhat by the rumble match, with the surprise entrants, story development for mania, and general unpredictability. Plus at this stage I'd argue there are more good rumbles than bad ones. 

Archived