Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

thought this deserved it's own thread.

dana-white-tuesday-night-contender-serie

Debuts on July 11th on Fight Pass, im not 100% certain how often the shows are happening or if the fights are in front of a live audience or on a set like the Ultimate Fighter, can anyone fill us in on that?

The concept of the show seems to be expanding on Dana White's looking for a fight, basically these guys have been scouted and are fighting for a chance of fighting in the UFC.

Anyway's the first card lines up like this:

• Kurt Holobaugh vs. Matt Bessette
  • L. Gomez Alvarez vs. Dan Ige
  • Greg Rebellovs vs. Azunna Anyanwu
  • Charles Byrd vs. Justin Jones
  • Joby Sanchez vs. Manny Vasquez

Familiar with Holobaugh and Bessette but no one else, i'll try linking each guys Sherdog Fight Finder to their name when i get chance.

Maybe the thing that will interest fans the most is that there's an alternative commentary track available on the broadcast known as 'Snoopcast'  and will feature Urijah Faber & Snoop Dogg on commentary, that's gotta be worth a listen.

Edited by Egg Shen

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

im not 100% certain how often the shows are happening or if the fights are in front of a live audience or on a set like the Ultimate Fighter, can anyone fill us in on that?

The initial run will be eight weeks, and the fights will take place in front of a closed-studio audience.

Its also for guys who are going to be cut by the UFC and winning a fight or two might get them back on track, Luke Thomas likened it to Michael Chandler, loses 3 in a row, Bellator give him a few lower ranked guys and he then went and won the LW belt back and dominate Benson Henderson.

It allows them to compete with Bellator for Ametuer wrestlers, kickboxers etc with not much MMA experience.

I also think this will replace TUF, when the Fox deal runs out, they will want a week day presence on TV for at least half the year.  

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

I had little interest in this, until I read about 'SnoopCast'. Whoever suggested it is a wonderful person. I'm all over this.

Snoop is who I'll be listening to when watching this. I just hope they let Snoop be himself, say whatever he's thinking, rather than trying to have him be a proper announcer.

2 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

Snoop is who I'll be listening to when watching this. I just hope they let Snoop be himself, say whatever he's thinking, rather than trying to have him be a proper announcer.

"Steppin' into the Octashizzle . . ."

It'll definitely make things more interesting. Can't decide if this is an inspired decision or potential car crash situation. Probably both. :D

They aren't flying Snoop in to Vegas every week, he'll be in his own house commentating to a live feed and Faber and a camera guy will be with them, Snoop will be stoned through every fight on a sofa, we've seen this before for 205 when he was calling Khabib a scary N word 

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them. There's been a couple of dud fights but this week's episode had some impressive performances on it. 

Also I've been watching it with the Snoopcast commentary from Snoop Dogg and Urijah Faber so that might have helped my enjoyment of it. 

The fights have been fine, some have been good, but the setting makes for a terrible atmosphere. The crowd is so small and makes so little noise, that it’s like watching fights on TUF. I gave Snoop a chance on commentary on the first week but soon tuned out. He is absolutely terrible. He’s not funny, witty, insightful, and adds nothing at all. It’s excruciating to listen to. And Urijah Faber isn’t much better. Faber’s commentating ability is in inverse proportion to his fighting ability.

Enjoying the show format and the fights for the most part, but I can't help but feel bad this week. Thanh Le and Dan Spohn were far more impressive in their fights than Boston Salmon was last week, and no contract for them.

Meanwhile, Sugar Sean was good, but his schtick felt really forced, and he showed in the post fight interview that he's not a particularly confident or engaging speaker. Unique look, but I don't think he has that "it factor" that Dana sees. Fight wise, good striker but needs better defence, and didn't seem too great on the ground. Think he'll get a lot of hype but fizzle out after getting wrestle-fucked a few times. "Welcome to the Sugar Show". Fuck off.