Childhood Misconceptions/Rumours/Urban Legends/Bullshit

BomberPat

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Kind of similar to me. I remember picking up a VHS tape of some old territory wrestling in a bargain type shop back when i was around 8-10. I played it but thought it was basically 'leisure center' wrestling which relates to the rubbish i used to watch the local leisure center, and labelled it as the fake stuff. I'm not even sure what territory it was (i have seen the videos listed here at some point though) and the guy listed as Bret Hart on the tape i put down as an imposter at the time...even though it was Bret Hart.

Chances are your cynicism was justified!

It was probably this, which is made up of clips from Mid Atlantic TV. "Brett Hart" is actually Barry Horowitz. He wasn't intended as an imposter, rather he started out as Barry Hart and then when he got to Mid-Atlantic changed to avoid confusion with Gary Hart. The real Bret Hart wasn't really known in the US at that point.

IMG_20170629_141333028.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Someone was actually going to die in the Hell in a Cell match at Armageddon 2000.

After they announced LOD vs Orient Express for Superstars, I spent an entire week genuinely thinking there was a risk of one of Orient Express being killed.

At first I thought all wrestling started at Wrestlemania 1. I had the silver vision catalogue and this was clearly the case. Even tough I'm sure I watched some world of sport but with the presentation of it as a kid seemed like serious, boring sport and definitely a channel hop. I hadn't connected these were the same thing. I remember being blown away that my Dad knew what a Boston crab was when he took me to WCW in 93.

• Paid Members

The LOD mention reminds me; I have a friend, now in his early 30s, still convinced he saw Hawk wrestle in Jersey in the early '90s. I've never had the heart to tell him it was almost certainly The Legend of Doom.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

I used to be genuinely concerned about how the Hart's had Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas after Owen's heel turn. Like Owen was sitting around at dinner knocking the Turkey leg out of Bret's Leg as he was trying to eat.

Also vividly remember saying to my friend at school that I was going to stop watching as I was mad they 'fired' Austin prior to the Bang 3:16 incident.

My little cousin was one of those 'Kane was played by two blokes' types. His main reasoning was that he was standing next to Val Venis and wasn't that much taller than him. My main takeway being at the time "Fuck me I didn't realise Val was such a big fucker." except when he suffered from shrinkage . . . . choppy choppy.  

Fixed

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The LOD mention reminds me; I have a friend, now in his early 30s, still convinced he saw Hawk wrestle in Jersey in the early '90s. I've never had the heart to tell him it was almost certainly The Legend of Doom.

Haha! Remember Johnny South wrestling as the Legend of Doom at a Holyhead Orig Williams tribute show in what must have been 1991/92. All us kids knew they weren't the real thing.....apart from Hawk.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

As kind of the opposite to that, I remember as late as 2001 people at school saying that even though everyone knew wrestling was fake, ECW was definitely still the real thing.

Yeah definitley this as a kid...

Also heard that there had been several people play the undertaker over the years and it wasnt the same guy.

• Paid Members

Lovely bonus from this thread. This past weekend I had to move all my wrestling books and VHS tapes into a new room as we're doing a rejig. The missus cast some outrageous slurs that I never ever watch the tapes.

Screenshot_20170629-143453.jpg

• Paid Members

After figuring out it was fake, long after ignoring our parents who kept telling us it was fake and we didn't believe them, me and my friends decided it was fake but the royal rumble was real and there was no way it was pre determined. We still had so much to learn 

I remember alllllllways being sure that Chyna was a guy because that was the word going around the street. Well... Playground. I was always like "nah cant be". Took a while as a 10 year old to eventually see that it was just a surgically augmented female body.

Also, the whole storyline where Droz pushed Animal of LOD off the titantron. People used to say it was real and Hawk was badly hurt.. Kids eh.

I suppose the most obvious one was, having always known wrestling was "fake" I was thinking none of it hurt whatsoever. Running the ropes was like elastic, bumping is like bouncing on the bed, blood was either ketchup or some capsule thing (even having seen Eddie's unbelievable gusher at Judgment Day 04), the steel chairs were actually plastic and the guys had head protection, even Foley's hell in a cell bump I thought must have been rehearsed and cushioned. So when I found out that even running the ropes canes I was like fuckin hell, although considering I saw thumbtack bumps for Foley v Orton I'm not sure how I didn't figure out it was a lot more real than I perceived it to be. 

My wrestle-pal at school was a tremendous bullshitter, he claimed he was in some underground fighting fed that he was the champ of and kept saying I should join up, I'd say yeah sure and he'd pretend to be on the phone to the boss and hang up like "sorry mate, they still haven't got any room for beginners", finally I'd had enough and was like "cmon I reckon I can beat you up" so we had a 'scrap' with wrestling moves mixed in, he couldn't lift me for a rock bottom and tried an amusing pedigree attempt where he just jumped gooch first on my neck, then I let him put me in the walls of Jericho which hurt way more than I expected so I tapped out and that was his justification that he was this hot shit shoot fighter and I just wasn't up to his standard, even though I'd bust his lip. He also put keyrings in his nose saying he got pierced, gave me these weird capsules with bitter cranberry inside telling me it was this awesome designer drug only he and his mates can get hold of (I later realised these were most likely his mum's cystitis relief that he'd nicked) and once told me he pissed inside a girls vagina and mocked me for having never done that. He was great. 

• Paid Members

A bizarre one: I thought Ric Flair was Andre the Giant, simply because a mate told me he was. I'd never seen Andre at the time, and for some reason Flair looked like his name should be Andre. That he wasn't a giant made me think it was supposed to be some sort of bombastic claim to being great and amazing.

The state of it.

Archived