UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow so we have Jones Vs Cormier, Woodley Vs Maia and now Cerrone Vs Lawler, I got a bad feeling UFC added this fight cos they might know one of the other 2 big fights is canceled and yet to announce it.

• Paid Members

Shit, this card is so fucking good. It's easily surpassed 211 and 213 for me now as the most stacked of the year so far. Incredible. 

Just when I was mourning the loss of Lawler vs Cerrone. And it's been revived. 

• Paid Members

Added Lawler vs Cerrone to the opening post now. This card is so good I've given it two ***Wand's ones to watches***. 

213 is really strong as well. It's been a relatively quiet start to the year but this double whammy in July of 213 and 214 is just brilliant. I can't ever recall two cards this stacked in the same month. 

7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

this double whammy in July of 213 and 214 is just brilliant. I can't ever recall two cards this stacked in the same month. 

A lot of that is because of outside forces. Whittaker/Romero is only happening at 213 because Bisping needed knee surgery. The UFC rushed out Woodley and Maia for 214 so the winner can hopefully fight GSP in November when they go back to MSG. And they put Lawler/Cerrone on 214, when they could have easily given Cerrone another month to recover, as there’s no sense putting anything big or overly exciting in September or October if you can help it, because PPV is going to take hit for a while after Conor and Floyd have cleaned everyone out of their PPV buying dollars. Not to mention the Jon Jones Factor, where you can probably get decent odds on him getting yanked from the card for some reason, and so they need a loaded card to ease the pain in case that does happen.

It can be amazing how a card can sometimes get stacked for reasons having nothing to do with actually intending to stack the card.

• Paid Members

True, I think they were probably always looking to load up one of the July PPVs. Probably 213 with the whole International Fight Week bollocks attached to it. But yeah, I doubt they set out or intended for both July PPVs to be this stacked. 214 especially is a card that got stacked through circumstances. 

• Paid Members

Easily card of the year now. I don't think people will realise the magnitude of Cormier vs Jones until they are finally locked in the cage. Outside of anything Mcgregor related, it's by far the biggest fight of the year, and I think it's the most important fight in light heavyweight history.

2 of the best pound for pound fighters of all time.

• Paid Members

It has suffered from almost the same thing that Sonnen vs Wanderlei had. It's been on/off so many times that people are hesitant to fully commit to it. You almost don't want to think about it due to the almost inevitable heartbreak.

I have to admit, as someone mentioned earlier, it had crossed my mind whether all these shifts to 214 was due to the UFC knowing something that we don't about the headliner. 

I think it's a safe bet that any Jon Jones card is going to be stacked from now on. By their own admission, the UFC is hesitant about headlining a PPV with Jones. By stacking the card, it safeguards against the fallout from Jones being removed. It will still hurt, but it won't hurt as much.

• Paid Members

As soon as I saw that promo last night I knew this thread was getting bumped today! Fantastic piece of work. They had so much to work with that they'd have been complete fucking idiots to misfire with all the footage they have. They've got over two years worth of build up, interviews, press conferences, Jones fuck ups etc in the can. It was a can't miss really. 

Best promo they've put out since those incredible Aldo vs McGregor and Rousey vs Holm ones at the end of 2015. 

• Paid Members

It was the highlight of the show. Brutally honest, which is nice, because I think for so long they were still tip toeing around a lot of it, but clearly Dana couldn't care about protecting anything left of Jones' image.

I thought the other two before it were of a very high standard, but obviously the last one instantly became iconic.

Archived