UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, the Torch is slipping in its coverage. Cheers, Herb.

Still not the biggest fan of Woodley's recent style, hopefully his next opponent is more aggressive and brings something out of him. A Lawler rematch would be interesting if he can avoid the bomb. Would Woodley fight the same way as champ as he did as challenger? It's such a jarring shift in fighter mentality, Tyron pre-title and post title win.

That injury, if it's as bad as it might very well be could see him shelved for anything up to a year, unfortunately. 

As for Woodley's shift in mentality, I think it's a mixture of reasons that play a part. The first is who he's fought. Since beating Lawler for the strap he's faced Stephen Thompson twice, and obviously faced Maia. Two guys who are very one-dimensional, but who are elite in that dimension. 

He has turned them both away.

Including his title fight he's fought four times, with one fight of the night honour, and a performance of the night. It's hardly as though he's putting us all to sleep on a regular basis, and there's no doubt that a Lawler fight would see him engage more and probably end up stopping Lawler again, although not quite as quickly.

The second is what he has to lose. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he was making $139,000 per fight base, and now he's making $500,000. If he loses that title he's not gonna be earning half a mill per fight, is he?

I don't care who you are, when you have 4 kids and a wife you're doing all you can to make sure you're making that half a million dollars each time you fight, and you're also looking to make sure you're coming home without having your brain rattled any more than it really has to be.

With Woodley out - I hope they steer clear of Interim titles at 170.  He's an active champion and there are no real clear contenders at the moment.  Let the contender emerge by good matchmaking.  

I like Woodley, but I really hope Gastelum can sort his shit out in terms of cutting weight and move back down from MW.  I think he could dominate the division.  You have to wonder what GSP is going to do too.  He is probably just looking for marquee fights - but I don't think he'll be too keen to stick around at 185 with the amount of killers in there. 

6 hours ago, OzExile said:

You have to wonder what GSP is going to do too.  He is probably just looking for marquee fights - but I don't think he'll be too keen to stick around at 185 with the amount of killers in there. 

I still think there's a better chance we see GSP vs Conor than us seeing Conor vs Khabib in Russia. That's one fight I just can't see happening, especially not in that location.

• Paid Members

Assuming Woodley is out of the picture for a while, who do we reckon Robbie Lawler fights next? 

I can't think of anyone obvious. He pretty much fought everyone on his run to the title and then during his reign. Who's left? All I can think of is Gastelum if he drops back to 170. That would be a great fight but I'm not sure what Gastelum is doing. He's probably stuffing his face with cheeseburgers and chips. 

Actually, while it'd be a step down name-wise from Cowboy, Lawler vs Ponzinibbio would be fun. 

• Paid Members

I saw a few people on Twitter claiming UFC are trying to line up Lawler vs Masvidal for a 170 Interim title at UFC 217 (is that the New York Show?), but assuming it's just rumour for now as can't see anything more substantial anywhere. I would be quite happy with that fight though if Woodley is out for a long time. 

• Paid Members

I forgot about Masvidal. Yeah, that would be my choice then. Great fight. 

Yeah, 217 is the MSG PPV. Which is currently the show they're targeting for Bisping vs GSP. 

They can fuck right off with the interim belt though. Its getting really silly now. I doubt they even know for sure how long Woodley's going to be out for yet. Hold fire with the fucking interims! 

On 8/4/2017 at 7:59 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I forgot about Masvidal. Yeah, that would be my choice then. Great fight. 

Yeah, 217 is the MSG PPV. Which is currently the show they're targeting for Bisping vs GSP. 

They can fuck right off with the interim belt though. Its getting really silly now. I doubt they even know for sure how long Woodley's going to be out for yet. Hold fire with the fucking interims! 

Too right. Love him, loathe him, but you can't lump Woodley.  He's had four title fights for 12 months. Even if it is another 12 months to his next fight, no way should there be an interim belt on the line. 

It could all work out anyway - I don't think Lawler should be back in the title picture right away. He needs at least one more win for me.   Masvidal is coming off a loss to Maia too.  

The next 6-9 months are a great opportunity for some WWs to stake a claim and set up the title shot for Woodley's return. 

Woodley has defended the belt three times now.  Is that the second longest active title reign after Joanna Champion and Mighty Mouse?  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived