UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

In terms of masscaring 135lbers - I wouldn't mind seeing Cris beat up Amanda Nunes inside the cage someday. 

I was quite looking forward to the women's fight, but nevermind.  Sounds like they are learning their lessons with the Ultimate Fighter female Flyweight division though. 

Anyway - rumour has it that Lawler v Cerrone is going to be on this card because the Donald is too injured to fight at 213, but apparently not 214.  If that is true then this is a card monster. 

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

In some good news for once, Woodley vs. Maia for the WW title has just been added to this show!

In case anyone is wondering why this fight has been added at what is, for a title fight, such short notice (we're barely a month away), it's because the UFC are hoping to put the winner against GSP at MSG in November.

• Paid Members

What a night that will be, with Cormier and Maia both winning.

It will be interesting to see how Maia handles the explosiveness, but, at the same time, I think Woodley's style of fighting off the fence, creates all manner of possibilities for Maia - obviously, it's where Maia always wants his opponents to be. IIRC, Cruz pointed out that Woodley's style is such that he needs to, sort of, take time off during rounds, so he can explode with tremendous effect.

I can see Woodley vs. Maia being a modern day version Shamrock vs. Severn. Woodley is going to be worried that if he gets too close, Maia could get hold of him, get him down and start tiring him out. And Maia is going to be worried that if he gets too close, Woodley could land the one big punch he needs to end it. As a result, I expect a lot of tentative circling and neither fighter being willing to make the first move.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

I can see Woodley vs. Maia being a modern day version Shamrock vs. Severn. Woodley is going to be worried that if he gets too close, Maia could get hold of him, get him down and start tiring him out. And Maia is going to be worried that if he gets too close, Woodley could land the one big punch he needs to end it. As a result, I expect a lot of tentative circling and neither fighter being willing to make the first move.

Essentially Maia's last title shot against Anderson. Silva waiting to counter & Maia reluctant to engage because he didn't want to be countered & KO'd Griffin style. A stylistic nightmare & Anderson knew that he could sit in the corner & do nothing and still be champ. I don't think this will play out like that tbh. Maybe the first round but once Woodley tires a bit then this all Maia's imo.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

In case anyone is wondering why this fight has been added at what is, for a title fight, such short notice (we're barely a month away), it's because the UFC are hoping to put the winner against GSP at MSG in November.

I'm glad to hear this. GSP returning to fight for the belt he vacated, or else a huge money battle with McGregor at 155 should have always been the plan. With the McGregor option on hold, the WW title challenge is the next best thing. This 185 nonsense should have never been on the table, considering how strong the division is overall, and the size of the guys that are fighting in it. 

• Paid Members

YES! Força Maia.

I had no problem with Woodley until he started playing the race card. It's people with his attitude that damage the movement for the rest of us. 

I still have a sense of dread about this - mainly because I so want Maia to win, and that usually means it won't happen - but that's alright; combat sports wouldn't have such appeal if the outcome was obvious. 

Obviously Maia needs to get close; without his striking, Woodley's biggest weapon is his wrestling, which will work against him in a contest with a ju-jutsu sorcerer like our Demian.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

that's exactly as i see it going.

• Paid Members

I struggle to pick a winner for this one. As others have said it feels like it is going to be really tentative. It should be a very interesting fight though, with so much uncertainty, as will both possible fights if the winner does end up facing GSP. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, lambyUK said:

I think Wand has probably decided to go on holiday after all these changes to 213 and 214.

:D 

Don't know why I fucking bother, to be honest.

Although I'm not expecting an exciting fight, I'm looking forward to Woodley vs Maia a lot. I hope Maia wins. Always been a fan even when he went through that slump years ago. And he seems like an absolutely top bloke as well. I'd be chuffed to see him with the belt. 

Gutted about Lawler vs Cerrone though. I know there was talk of it being moved to this card but Dana's shot that down. 

"Here's the deal. Cowboy Cerrone is a stud. He's too tough for his own good. He absolutely wanted to fight. The kid's got a pulled groin, he's got a bruise from his knee to the inside of his groin. And his other knee is blowing up; he's got staph infection. Could he come out and fight? Probably. Should he come out and fight Robbie Lawler with a pulled groin? No, he shouldn't. We're going to get him healthy and remake the fight."

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Damian Maia v Tyrone Woodley has been added to this I think.

C'mon Damian!

I fucking love that fight. It's the ultimate MMA fight in a way. Hard to think of a sport where two opponents can be so good at completely contrasting things.

Unfortunately I see Woodley winning. I think Woodley will weather the early rounds, get slippery and then be too powerful.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Chunk said:

I fucking love that fight. It's the ultimate MMA fight in a way. Hard to think of a sport where two opponents can be so good at completely contrasting things.

Unfortunately I see Woodley winning. I think Woodley will weather the early rounds, get slippery and then be too powerful.

I think it's Maia who's going to have to weather the early rounds. 

They're both really strong starters who slow down as the fight goes on. In that respect, this fight could get really ugly if it goes long and they've both blew their load in the early rounds. 

I just think that early on. Woodley's strength, explosiveness and wrestling is going to make him an absolute bastard for Maia to work his game against. If Maia can't take Woodley down it could get messy real quick for him. 

Heart's saying Maia, head's saying Woodley. 

Archived