What did you want from Austin's return in 2000?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

On this topic, can you believe they actually put Debra with the Rock and were hinting in that sit down interview they did in the build that she'd be at ringside? The biggest WrestleMania main event ever and they actually had an idea of involving Debra in someway. Glad they came to their senses.

They only did two good things in that build (the sit down interview and the brawl on the go-home) but fucking hell they were two amazing angles. That and the My Way video of course.

As much as the match was remembered amd anticipated I felt even as a big WWF newbie fan at the time it was a pretty poor build, silly stuff with Debra and Vince fanning about just baiting too faces to hate each other. 

RTC amd Richards would have been an interesting idea I think as a group they had enough heat to give Austin a fun pretty rumble feud amd really they were all ideal to be tossed around and stunnerd week after week. 

Benoit would have worked in the contract idea if you tweak the radicals debut or make up some stuff later about Vince. 

Generally I enjoyed the end of 2000 but that's because it was my first year of watching wrestling and I had limited chances to view, no tapes nothing. 

• Paid Members

If you ever watch the 2001 No Way Out match, its amazing to see how they tried to rewrite history in the build up. Which isnt so surprising, because wrestling usually rewrites history, but fucking hell not usually that soon. The video package before their match JR said "we wanted to know who ran over Austin, and we find out it was The Game!" They must have known they'd dropped a bollock with Rikishi, so switched to that "HHH put him up to it" to then just forgetting all about Rikishi and pretending HHH done it.

How dumb did that make Austin? Austin came back and apart from a few words backstage, he didnt suspect HHH was behind it at all. Even though he was the one who lured him into the car park. Just a big cock up of a storyline. I bet if this was done in early 2000, they'd have had a home run with it. There was a big difference in the way the shows were wrote in early/mid-2000 and late 2000. SummerSlam 2000 was where it seemed to peak.

Archived