Matches that should have been bigger than they were

HarmonicGenerator

I don't think any main event on Nitro qualifies for this thread, as they were all billed as the biggest night in the history of our sport. Can't say fairer than that.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Sting vs Triple H at that mania a few years ago. It wasn't a great match and had the typical run-ins to save it and for nostalgia, but i felt it should have been bigger as it was Sting's first WWE match. I know they pushed it, but i don't think they pushed it enough.

• Paid Members

Really?? I thought they did a really good job there. A guy who could barely work a match at his age/in his physical condition, they spent MONTHS building it up. It had much more of a build-up than any other WrestleMania match that year. The match wasn't great, it was fantastic! Seriously, it was so much fun. Loved that match so much, it was everything it should've been and more.

• Paid Members
On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, Vamp said:

Jeff and HBK also had a strange match on a No Way Out PPV at Montreal. They seemed to be outwardly referencing the fact that Jeff Hardy was a bit fucked up at the time too. 

I don't think Jeff ever thought Michaels in Montreal, did he? The closest I can think of - and it's an angle I'd completely forgotten about before this post - was a match Jeff had with Jericho in Montreal, and they'd be doing an angle with Shawn Michaels kind of taking Jeff under his wing. I think Michaels was even announced as being in Jeff's corner, before they realised that having Michaels in his corner in Montreal while fighting Chris Jericho probably wasn't going to put Jeff over strong as a face.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

I seem to remember this was around the time Lesnar's UFC return was announced, so WWE may have just wanted to get his SummerSlam match announced ASAP to capitalise on the publicity and also reassure fans (and shareholders) that he wasn't leaving.

I felt like it was WWE attempting a UFC-style presentation and build for Lesnar, too - rather than do some big rivalry in the build to the match, they just announced it and tried to sell it on name value alone. Even the finish felt like a conscious attempt to foster a UFC-style sense of unpredictability and believability. It's something about the credibility of Lesnar - you can buy that finish from him, and you can buy something like the first Goldberg match from him, in a way people wouldn't stand for with a Roman Reigns or a Seth Rollins.

Back on topic, it has to be Hogan/Flair or Hogan/Bret for me. Though that Sting/Warrior vs. Bret/Hogan match comes bloody close!

There's a few weird ones from the indies, too - "dream matches" long after the fact, essentially. PWS once booked the New Age Outlaws vs. The Steiner Brothers, and I think the ICP did the Outlaws vs. Nash & Waltman, with Hall in their corner. Probably plenty of others along those lines.

• Paid Members

Austin & Rock vs. Hogan, Nash & Hall from Raw just before WM18.  To my knowledge, the only time that Austin & Hogan ever shared a ring after Austin first went to WWF (not entirely sure they ever interacted on-screen for WCW before that either).

Just star power, the fact that this was effectively the top WWF guys going against the top WCW guys from the last 5-6 years, and the fact that the guys involved had never really had much interaction with guys on the other side meant it should have been a much bigger deal than a thrown-together, throw-away, quick TV main event (with a dodgy finish, iirc).

5 hours ago, big7thletter said:

I think Sting vs Triple H at that mania a few years ago. It wasn't a great match and had the typical run-ins to save it and for nostalgia, but i felt it should have been bigger as it was Sting's first WWE match. I know they pushed it, but i don't think they pushed it enough.

Aye you've misunderstood the question their geez.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, LaGoosh said:

The Shield triple threat should have been a Wrestlemania main event with the three new biggest stars in the business and the greatest match of all time.

Instead they kind of gave it away early in a fatal four way with Randy Orton. And then by the time they finally got around to doing it, it was on a forgettable B show PPV, all three mens stars had faded massively because of terrible booking and the match was nothing special.

Keeping with the Shield I would throw in Shield/Wyatt Family first match. Cant remember which PPV it was at but that should have been a "big 4" match

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Big Benny HG said:

Austin & Rock vs. Hogan, Nash & Hall from Raw just before WM18.  To my knowledge, the only time that Austin & Hogan ever shared a ring after Austin first went to WWF (not entirely sure they ever interacted on-screen for WCW before that either).

Just star power, the fact that this was effectively the top WWF guys going against the top WCW guys from the last 5-6 years, and the fact that the guys involved had never really had much interaction with guys on the other side meant it should have been a much bigger deal than a thrown-together, throw-away, quick TV main event (with a dodgy finish, iirc).

I don't even remember that one! I had it in my head that they did Hogan/Rock/Austin as a team against Hall/Nash/X-Pac, but thinking about it, I can't make that fit any kind of timeline for all of them being about at the same time, so I must have just made that up from misremembering this one.

They did a bunch of matches just on telly with the nWo lot that could have main evented any PPV - they did Hogan & Rock vs. Nash & Hall on RAW the day after Wrestlemania. It went to a count-out in six minutes! That's your main event for the following PPV right there! They did it again as a handicap match the following week with X-Pac in the mix, then threw in Kane to make it a six-man tag the same week on Smackdown. Milked that one dry without making a penny off it.

Everyone talks about what a missed opportunity the Invasion was, but they fucked up the nWo something rotten too.

It's interesting how many of these have Hogan in them, isn't it?

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't even remember that one! I had it in my head that they did Hogan/Rock/Austin as a team against Hall/Nash/X-Pac, but thinking about it, I can't make that fit any kind of timeline for all of them being about at the same time, so I must have just made that up from misremembering this one.

They did a bunch of matches just on telly with the nWo lot that could have main evented any PPV - they did Hogan & Rock vs. Nash & Hall on RAW the day after Wrestlemania. It went to a count-out in six minutes! That's your main event for the following PPV right there! They did it again as a handicap match the following week with X-Pac in the mix, then threw in Kane to make it a six-man tag the same week on Smackdown. Milked that one dry without making a penny off it.

The roster was so stacked back then though, and there was only one PPV a month. You could easily come up with enough combinations to main event three or four years' worth of PPVs with that 2002 roster. Not surprising that there were some stellar TV main events with such a rich cast of characters.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Pinc said:

The roster was so stacked back then though, and there was only one PPV a month.

Aye and the next two had absolutely fucking dreadful main events. nWo vs. WWF multi man matches would have been much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much mnore preferable. Fucking Toronto.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the next PPV had a dreadful Triple H/Hogan main event, with the only nWo match on the card being Scott Hall vs. fucking Bradshaw. Steve Austin, meanwhile, was pissing about with The Undertaker and Ric Flair in the undercard, and spent the following PPV in a dismal handicap match with Flair & Big Show.

Admittedly The Rock was done, so you weren't getting Rock/Hogan vs. Hall & Nash as a PPV main event at the following show, which would have made sense, but pissing it away three times in two weeks is mental, no matter how stacked your roster is.

The nWo in the WWF is up there as the biggest missed opportunity going. If you just go by the results of the PPVs, by Judgment Day (bearing in mind this was two PPVs after Wrestlemania 18, and just three PPVs after the nWo's debut) you'd have no idea they were even still around, as I doubt anyone particularly remembered that Big Show and Ric fucking Flair were members at that point.

I can't remember when Nash got hurt - it seems mental that he wasn't even on the 'Mania card - but assuming he was alright for Backlash, you could have had Hall & Nash vs. Hogan & Austin, or Hall/Nash/Waltman vs. Hogan/Austin/Undertaker. Hell, the interminably long Triple H/Shawn Michaels feud even started with Shawn wanting Triple H to join the nWo, before that got switched to RAW and Smackdown vying to sign him when Nash got hurt and they sacked off the nWo altogether. A Michaels/Nash/HHH/Waltman nWo could have been fun, or else could have eventually broken off into a DX/nWo feud, or just into a straight Michaels/Trips feud.

There aren't many that came in with that much hype and so quickly became a complete afterthought. I get that a lot of it was out of their hands - Hogan was turned face and shifted to a different brand, and I get that they wanted to strike while the iron was hot and get the title on him for a month, but basically not having him feud with the nWo at all after Wrestlemania seemed daft. Hall was fired, Nash got hurt, so it was watered down pretty quickly, but they tried to salvage it with Michaels, they had Nash around now and then, but it just ended up with a long-past-relevant X-Pac and Big Show before he was any good doing the bulk of the ring work, supported inexplicably by Ric Flair (despite years of opposition to the nWo in WCW, and despite Flair's co-ownership of the WWF being the whole reason Vince brought them in), and spending half their time as a backdrop to justify Booker T & Goldust comedy skits...they could have had something special, but they just booked them as a generic heel act, as just faces in the crowd.

I shouldn't be surprised, considering this is the promotion that booked the nWo to do a run-in and help their mate Sting, but they absolutely never got the point, or the appeal, of the nWo at all. Even if you take out the individual talents involved, imagine having the rights to that T-shirt design and not pushing the hell out of the blokes that would sell it for you.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

Punkstep

Could have held it off and promo'd it more for a massive WM match. When you have "this is awesome" before it starts then you know something special is on

Completely agree. If I recall, The Shield had a quick, forgettable squash VS New Age Outlaws & Kane (wearing those awesome masks to the ring) whilst Wyatt had...what was he up to that Mania? Was that the Cena match?

• Paid Members

That Austin vs. Flair and Big show match reminds me of another for this topic. Probably throw in that Evolution vs. Foley & Rock match at WM 20 too. You bring in Ric Flair and don't have him go 1 on 1 with Austin or The Rock in a big time match. Missed opportunity.

Archived