Matches that should have been bigger than they were

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Lesnar v Orton was an odd match. It was really randomly made as the SummerSlam Main Event marking Brock's fourth Main Event in 5 years. That surprised me he's the go-to for that spot since his return. It ended up a tad flat with the TKO ending. Obviously, they've had KO wins in the past, so why not TKO? I know the difference. But it's a strange one to go for as well as the ending. That could've been made a bigger deal out of than just something announced out of the blue for Orton's return which was nice seeing as it was thought he'd be out longer with a reported neck surgery after his shoulder healed at one point.

I seem to remember this was around the time Lesnar's UFC return was announced, so WWE may have just wanted to get his SummerSlam match announced ASAP to capitalise on the publicity and also reassure fans (and shareholders) that he wasn't leaving.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, air_raid said:

Hogan v Sting is actually a good shout. Their first match should have been a massive deal with months of build, but it was a throwaway Nitro in 95 that casuals don't even know happened.

Yeah, and with Sting in red and yellow instead of Hogan. And Hogan in black and with no iconic 'tache in sight. Bit of a weird one all round really. 

Goldberg vs Shawn Michaels was one that immediately sprung to mind for me. Happened on Raw in 2003 but it felt like it should've been on a big PPV that year. 

The Bret Hart vs Ric Flair title switch in 92 ideally would've been done on a PPV with more of a fuss around it. 

The first Roadwarriors vs Steiners match deserved better than a throwaway spot in the middle of the Future Shock tournament at Starrcade 89.

First one that jumps out in my mind is AJ Styles v Rob Van Dam in TNA.

AJ was the ultimate to the indie fans at the time and was the TNA World Champion at the time too (I forget which number reign he was in). Then you've got RVD, who had debuted six weeks earlier disposing of the icon Sting within seconds in his debut match (then got a pasting in the post-match, but that's a story for another time).  RVD was still seen as being the guy that was "held back" from when he was in WWE and a victim of HHH's Shovel Club, which was the style at the time for alot of the more recognisable names to be released from WWE. He was also still one of the few from the original ECW who had hadn't died from an overdose and could still function on some level. As TNA was seen as a potential "new ECW" to hardcore internet fans, he was a great fit for them. So a match of the (former WWE Champion) guy who was "held down" and who wasn't give a chance to main event against the Internet golden boy who shit five matches? Well it's a no brainer, we could a series between those two for months on PPV, and AJ's the heel champion so everyone will get invested in an RVD face title chase...

nah, we'll just announce it on free telly that it's happening tonight and have RVD win at the first attempt.

• Paid Members

The Shield triple threat should have been a Wrestlemania main event with the three new biggest stars in the business and the greatest match of all time.

Instead they kind of gave it away early in a fatal four way with Randy Orton. And then by the time they finally got around to doing it, it was on a forgettable B show PPV, all three mens stars had faded massively because of terrible booking and the match was nothing special.

I looked at it as more of a way of bringing up the "b level" PPVs and making them mean a little more. Whilst you still won't get a stacked card from top to bottom, having a big match as the main attraction might mean it gets a few more people to watch, even if it's just that one match, rather than skip it entirely

Some good shouts already in here, but mine would be The Rock vs Ric Flair that was chucked out on a random RAW in 2002 I believe, didn't last long, may have been for the Undisputed title as well actually?

At this point Flair was still in pretty good shape and seemed to be on a retirement tour as such, facing off in a few big matches. 

Rock/Flair should have been at least PPV worthy, if not even the main event.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Goldberg vs Shawn Michaels was one that immediately sprung to mind for me. Happened on Raw in 2003 but it felt like it should've been on a big PPV that year. 

This was pretty common at the time of single brand ppvs filling the months of no "big 4" shows in that they'd have one huge episode of TV in a month that brand didn't have the PPV. This was Raw's answer to No Mercy, the month before Raw had Unforgiven and SmackDown had the Angle/Lesnar Iron Man match etc.

Chris Jericho Vs Marty Jannetty on a random nitro in spring 98.

One and done . They could have built this up for weeks/months and played off how Jericho was a huge Rockers fan. If they had debuted Jannetty and given him a few wins then a program with Jericho could have been white hot. Instead, it was just a throwaway Nitro match.

Same with Benoît Vs Bret Hart. Albeit they had a great nitro match in summer 98, this should have been on PPV with weeks of build.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Dudley Eastbank said:

Surely the first Hogan vs Flair matches must fit into this category?  Yes they were big house-show main events, but given the two men's relative status, their first meetings passed almost silently.

This has got to be the definitive answer, hasn't it?

The biggest ever (for the time) name in the WWF vs the NWA/WCW's biggest ever name, should have been billed as the ultimate dream match. It's just a shame it happened at a time when many WWF fans were becoming jaded and were turning against the Hulkster so the house show rehearsal wasn't well received... 

When you think back and see Sting/Warrior vs Hogan/Bret was on a Nitro. The match is seven minutes long. Sting wrestles most of it. Warrior spends the entire match on the apron, in his jacket. I know Warrior was pants in WCW, but when you see the names involved still. Yup.

Archived