The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

By all accounts Io's neck problems will keep her out of the tournament - didn't stop her taking dragon suplexes on the ring apron and whatnot in her Stardom farewell - though that could be a blessing in disguise if she's brought in at a later date with a lot of fanfare, rather than being one in a crowd.

I'm hoping for a couple of real great surprises in here - a veteran or two, basically, to fill the role Brian Kendrick had in the CWC. Top of my list from a WWE perspective would be Victoria, though I'd love to see Manami Toyota in there just so she can have a quick WWE stint before she retires in November, Meiko Satomura just because she could work magic with any number of women in this tournament, or Sara Del Rey because I desperately want her to have at least one more match, and think there could be some great stories to tell with her against any of the NXT girls.

Actually, thats a good point, had not thought of returning vets.
Victoria would be a good shout. Who else could do it? Jazz still works and Melina recently returned so I guess they're possible.

I would love to see Saraya in the thing to be honest but don't know how WWE's relationship is with the Knights at the minute.

If they are wanting different counties in there then I could see Shanna [Portugal], Nixon Newell [Wales] and possibly Blue Nikita [Greece] in the thing too.
It's criminal if Kay Lee Ray is not in it in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Actually, thats a good point, had not thought of returning vets.
Victoria would be a good shout. Who else could do it? Jazz still works and Melina recently returned so I guess they're possible.

I would love to see Saraya in the thing to be honest but don't know how WWE's relationship is with the Knights at the minute.

If they are wanting different counties in there then I could see Shanna [Portugal], Nixon Newell [Wales] and possibly Blue Nikita [Greece] in the thing too.
It's criminal if Kay Lee Ray is not in it in my opinion.

Nixon is in the tournament already thankfully. I too would love to see Shanna in there! Has both great personality and in ring work. Not seen anything of Blue Nikita, will check her out. 

• Paid Members

Nixon's already in there - she was pretty much a dead cert the moment this thing was announced.

Victoria was just the first veteran to come to mind that's still working, and still decent, based on her appearance at King of Trios last year. No idea if she's on decent terms with the company or not. I can't see them going for Jazz. Would love to see someone like Ivory or Molly Holly take a heel veteran role, but not expecting it since Molly hasn't wrestled since she left the company, and Ivory hasn't in over a decade. If I were her, if she's still capable of wrestling, I'd be cashing on GLOW notoriety right now!

Melina injured her knee during her UK tour this month, so I doubt she'll be fit to compete.

Pro Wrestling: EVE are running shows on the Saturday following this tournament (Mae Young Classic films Thursday/Friday), so I think it's reasonably safe to assume anyone booked for that show isn't in the tournament. It may be quite telling to think of EVE regulars that aren't booked for that show, as that might give us some clues.

Yeah. Nixon is at least at the Performance Center. She'll be announced eventually. Shanna would be an amazing call for it. First saw her on the TNA UK Tour in 2014. She wrestled Gail Kim on Xplosion. She played a Rosebud on Raw shortly after that, so she's at least been on their radar at some point. I'm not familier with Blue Nikita either. Will have to check her out.

Judging by the way WWE are highlighting Kairi's elbow ("her highlight reel-worthy diving elbow drop - thought by many to be the most beautiful in the world") I'm guessing common sense has prevailed and they aren't stopping her doing it because it's supposedly Bayley's move, as was rumoured by Meltzer a while ago.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Pro Wrestling: EVE are running shows on the Saturday following this tournament (Mae Young Classic films Thursday/Friday), so I think it's reasonably safe to assume anyone booked for that show isn't in the tournament. It may be quite telling to think of EVE regulars that aren't booked for that show, as that might give us some clues.

Admittedly this logic is a bit of a stretch, but it does make Shanna seem more likely - I could see them wanting her in there just to bolster the number of countries represented, as well.

For the record, people working EVE on the Saturday; Sammii Jayne, The Owens Twins, Jinny, Emi Sakura, Martina, Erin Angel, Nina Samuels, Livvii Grace, Amarah, Bete Noire/whatever she's calling herself now.

Not really anyone I'd have expected to be in it from that list, but there's a fair few wrestlers I've come to expect at EVE that aren't on the card, which could mean something. Laura Di Matteo being another "would add a country to the list" candidate.

Archived