Break up the New Day (aka New. Day Splits)

Duke

I could see them just going back to being as meaningless as they all were before they joined up. The Shield always looked like three singles stars waiting to happen. New Day are more like the New Age Outlaws, the team is way more than the sum of its parts. I'd love to see Kofi get a go with the belt, mind.

I was watching the Money In The Bank last night, the one that Rollins won in 2014. There's a moment towards the end where Kofi is on his own at the top of the ladder and it looked like he was going to do it. He did get a pretty decent pop, until he came off the ladder. I genuinely think Kofi is popular enough for a run with a world title, and of the three, he's the guy I'd pick. Woods would make a decent commentator, I always think E needs someone else to play off to really shine. I'm not convinced he's cut out to be a big name on his own.

• Paid Members

I think Kofi's time has passed - maybe he could be given a strong push coming out of New Day, but I don't see him being the one to get a good boost out of it. He'd be back to fighting Dolph Ziggler every week. The problem is that he was always the go-to guy for a big flashy spot in a Royal Rumble or a ladder match, but was never booked to win any of them, so it became about the spot, not about Kofi.

Xavier Woods is better as a talker than a wrestler, so I'd rather see him stick around in a managerial capacity, or as a colour commentator in the future, where he'd have far more worth than shuffling around in the midcard with nothing to do, as he's not someone I can see them getting behind, though I do like the idea of him entering into the Cruiserweight division to lend some character to that, as much as I'm not a fan of the division as a whole. He's definitely a guy who has more worth as part of a team than as a singles wrestler.

Big E seems like the obvious breakout star from it - he's funny and has charisma, so could adapt his New Day persona into something works better as a singles gimmick, and be able to pull off the kind of comedy that WWE seems intent on making its babyfaces do and actually make it work, he's not as hindered by years of midcard purgatory 50/50 booking as Kofi, and he's a big strong fucker that could probably have some believable slugfests with the likes of Samoa Joe.

Archived