Iiiit's another Empire Top 100 Films list

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

I think their list got its own thread on here last time they did it in 2014, so here's the 2017 version of what they reckon the bestest films are, for people to agree/disagree with / get irritated at / approve of / not really care either way about. But hopefully to provoke a bit of chat one way or the other.

Ā 

There's only a couple there that really jumped out at me as not belonging (La La Land and Interstellar), and there's a fair few of my top 10 that aren't anywhere to be seen on that list (I get why Almost Famous or What We Do In The Shadows aren't there, but no Spinal Tap?) but what I like about these lists is that they're usually full of reasonably well known movies, meaning I've had a decent chance of seeing most of them. In fact, there's only 9 on there I haven't seen so it's a handy reminder that I still need to get round to True Romance and Lawrence Of Arabia at some point.

Ā 

100 Stand By Me

99 Raging Bull

98 Amelie

97 Titanic

96 Good Will Hunting

95 Arrival

94 Lost In Translation

93 The Princess Bride

92 The TerminatorĀ 

91 The Prestige

90 No Country For Old Men

89 Shaun Of The Dead

88 The Exorcist

87 Predator

86 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

85 Leon

84 Rocky

83 True Romance

82 Some Like It Hot

81 The Social Network

80 Spirited Away

79 Captain America: Civil War

78 Oldboy

77 Toy Story

76 A Clockwork Orange

75 Fargo

74 Mulholland Dr.

73 Seven Samurai

72 Rear Window

71 Hot Fuzz

70 The Lion King

69 Singin' In The Rain

68 Ghostbusters (1984)

67 Memento

66 Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

65 Avengers Assemble

64 LA Confidential

63 Donnie Darko

62 La La Land

61 Forrest Gump

60 American Beauty

59 ET

58 Inglourious Basterds

57 Whiplash

56 Reservoir Dogs

55 Pan's Labyrinth

54 Vertigo

53 Psycho

52 Once Upon A Time In The West

51 It's A Wonderful Life

50 Lawrence of Arabia

49 Trainspotting

48 Silence of the Lambs

47 Interstellar

46 Citizen Kane

45 Drive

44 Gladiator

43 One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

42 There Will Be Blood

41 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

40 12 Angry Men

39 Saving Private Ryan

38 Mad Max: Fury Road

37 The Thing (1982)

36 The Departed

35 The Shining

34 Guardians of the Galaxy

33 Schindler's List

32 The Usual Suspects

31 Taxi Driver

30 Seven

29 The Big Lebowski

28 Casablanca

27 The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

26 Heat

25 Terminator 2: Judgment Day

24 The Matrix

23 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

22 Apocalypse Now

21 2001: A Space Odyssey

20 Die Hard

19 Jurassic Park

18 Inception

17 Fight Club

16 Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

15 Aliens

14 Alien

13 Blade Runner

12 The Godfather Part II

11 Back To The Future

10 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

9 Star Wars: A New Hope

8 Jaws

7 Raiders of the Lost Ark

6 Goodfellas

5 Pulp Fiction

4 The Shawshank Redemption

3 The Dark Knight

2 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

1The Godfather

• Paid Members

I don't watch enough films to really have much of an opinion on the validity of most of these, but Dark Knight is quite plainly not the third best film of all time and I really liked it. Was this voted on by fans or judges?

Citizen Kane at 46 makes me sad too.

• Paid Members

The Dark Knight and Inception in the the top 20!?! They wouldnt even been in my top 20 of the last 10 years!

Ā 

Also No Scott Pilgrim? Snatch? Not even a single Fast and Furious film... Ok maybe not that last one ;-P, but seriously its a poor list

The one that sticks out is Dark knight for obvious reasons. Personally I love the film, but its probably been put so high to stir the pot a little bit. Then again, id struggle to put any of my favourite films in any kind of order, ive seen hundreds (atleast) and loved at least a hundred, I could never pick a film out and say thats my number 1 film. From looking at that top 100, there's no film there that ive seen that I wouldnt say is atleast very good and id watch again.

• Paid Members

It's not a poor list. It's just the SAME list. Every single time the same films, in almost the same order, with a couple of new ones thrown in for good measure. I don't even know why they bothered, I'm sure we could all have predicted at least 75% of the films that would be on here.

• Paid Members

I'm fine with La La Land making a list like this, particularly if it's down in the 60's. Interstellar was rubbish and entirely not deserving but I'm happy to see Arrival added.

It depends how much you actually care about what a magazine puts it it's best of list when their sole aim is to seller more copies by getting people to talk about it.

Ā 

Edit: On the subject of Arrival, as much as I loved it, I'd say Sicario was probably better and that's nowhere to be seen.

Assuming this was just put together by whoever writes the magazine and it wasn't a public vote, I'd love to know the criteria for a list like this. Toy Story being sandwiched between Oldboy and A Clockwork Orange, while anĀ intriguingĀ triple header to try one afternoon, is a bit of a headscratcher

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Assuming this was just put together by whoever writes the magazine and it wasn't a public vote, I'd love to know the criteria for a list like this. Toy Story being sandwiched between Oldboy and A Clockwork Orange, while anĀ intriguingĀ triple header to try one afternoon, is a bit of a headscratcher

It was a public vote done through their website.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Au said:

I'm fine with La La Land making a list like this, particularly if it's down in the 60's. Interstellar was rubbish and entirely not deserving but I'm happy to see Arrival added.

It depends how much you actually care about what a magazine puts it it's best of list when their sole aim is to seller more copies by getting people to talk about it.

Ā 

Edit: On the subject of Arrival, as much as I loved it, I'd say Sicario was probably better and that's nowhere to be seen.

Sicario is Villeneuve's best film, but Arrival (which is great too) is here almost certainly because it was a much bigger box office hit.

Archived