UFC 213: Romero vs Whittaker

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

If Romero loses then I can't see it being a boring decision. Whittaker is anything but a boring fighter. I think if Whittaker wins it'll be by knockout, catching Yoel with something. 

I don't either, I'm just treating that as the outcome I'd least like to see. Yoel losing, and with a whimper, would be a real dampener for both him, and the division. Whittaker always seems to be in entertaining fights. If he puts Romero's lights out then fair play to him, and it would continue to illustrate what a shark tank the whole division is.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fuck Whittaker and the kangaroo he rode in on. Yoel and Ray the translator have got this. 

11 hours ago, David said:

can't stand Whittaker, hope the soldier of God flying knees him into oblivion.

What's wrong with Whittaker? :( He's an exciting, talented fighter and a nice, humble guy.

Going to spend tonight watching all the Countdown/Embedded stuff. Genuinely think Romero vs. Whittaker could be a FOTY contender, plus Pettis vs. Miller and Nunes vs. Shevchenko II. Even after losing Cerrone vs. Lawler, it's still deep as fuck.

I'm hesitant to get excited about Werdum vs. Overeem III. I've seen both guys have super entertaining fights before, but all I can think about is Strikeforce and Werdum flopping like a fish.

• Paid Members

Nah Shane I've always liked Whittaker really. Even back to his days on the Smashes. I didn't really warm to many on the Aussie team but I liked Whittaker for his fighting style. 

I just like Romero more and I'm not ready to see his streak end. I really want to see that Bisping fight, I have done ever since their little back and forth at UFC 205.

Gotta admit, as much as I want to see Whittaker win, I'd be alright with Romero winning too, given that it would set up that fight. The idea of Romero blasting through Bisping warms my heart.

EDIT: About the Smashes, I remember a few of the Aussies seeming like dickheads, but none more so than George Sots. I was a big fan of him until that TUF season too.

• Paid Members

Yeah, TUF really damaged him. Before that I remember him being quite popular. Especially around the time he beat Joe Stevenson in that (forgotten) great fight they had on the first Australian UFC PPV. Everyone seemed to love him. Then he coached TUF and came across as a complete bellend to the point even Aussie fans seemed to turn on him in droves. 

Wonder where he is now? His name hasn't popped up anywhere in ages and he hasn't fought since 2014. He was coming off a 5 fight losing streak and he's pushing 40 now so it's probably over for him. But he seemed to just vanish overnight. 

• Paid Members

Still got the Countdown, Embedded and the Dan Hardy 'Inside The Octagon' breakdown to watch yet. Just caught the Weigh In. Few predictions;

oqZG0.jpg

Shevchenko by decision. I think way too many people are underestimating Shevchenko. Again. She was counted out by a lot of people against Holly Holm. Loads were picking Julianna Pena to beat her too. She won both those fights and in totally different ways. She outcountered the counterstriker in Holm, and she submitted the grappler in Pena. She hasn't been winning her fights as dramatically as Nunes but make no mistake she's really good.

She also weathered Nunes' storm in their first fight and was starting to give Nunes problems in the third round. With 2 more rounds to play with here I think she can get it done. I wouldn't be shocked if Nunes wins. I've rated her for fucking years. But I think Shevchenko has the ability and craftiness and knows enough tricks to get through Nunes' danger rounds and unless Nunes has become a completely different fighter, she'll probably fade if it goes to the championship rounds. That's where I see Shev taking over big time. 

8B2T.jpg

Romero by KO/TKO. I totally hear the argument for Whittaker here. He's powerful as fuck, tough, there's no quit in him, and as he showed against Jacare he's not just a banger. He's got legit skills. I just think Yoel is that bit better at this stage in the game. I'm not far off 50/50 on this one, to be honest but I think Yoel's weird movement, his strength and if he needs it, his wrestling will be enough to give Whittaker too much to think about and he'll get cracked with something nasty while he's doing that thinking about it. I hope anyway. Nothing against Whittaker. I just want Yoel to win. And to hear another mental promo on Bisping post-fight. 

0qTwb.jpg

Overeem by KO/TKO. I hope I'm wrong but that's the feeling I've been getting. It's not based on much really. Heavyweight MMA is like Russian Roulette half the time. You never know when the bullet is coming and these two in particular can be wildly inconsistent. They're 1-1 and this one feels like a tossup. Werdum looked a bit doughy at the weigh in, which I wouldn't usually put much stock into but with Werdum it does seem to matter. We'll see. 

Oj4wm.jpg

Miller by decision. I've lost all confidence in Pettis and Miller isn't a guy you want to be in there with when you're off form. Pettis has got to make something happen and I think he knows it. You can't hold the loss to Holloway against him too much. Everyone's losing to Mad Max at the minute. But the shine has really come off Pettis since the loss to Dos Anjos in 2015. If they're both at their best I think Pettis wins but I see Pettis once again struggling to pull the trigger and Miller really putting it to him and outworking him. 

cvzJV.jpg

Browne by KO/TKO. Again, Browne is another one I've lost confidence in picking. I'm backing him here though. I just don't think we've seen enough of Oliynyk at this level to know what we've got. He's had a ton of fights but I don't think we've ever seen him against a good heavyweight who was in good form. Granted, Browne isn't in good form right now but he's surely the best heavyweight Oliynyk will have faced to date in the UFC. If he wins this then he's onto big fights. But I've got a feeling Browne will be able to keep this one standing and from what I've seen of Oliynyk's striking, it's shit. If Oliynyk can make it a grappling match he should shine but I think Mr Rousey is going to catch him. 

hRIeo.jpg

Mein by KO/TKO. No-one's talking about it but I can see this one potentially stealing the show. My prediction here is a shot in the dark really. I fancy Mein to win but fuck knows what happens. Both are granite tough and hard as nails. Should be a fun one. 

• Paid Members

100% agree with you on Sheva, wand. Not sure if she'll win, like, but she's made huge improvements since the two last fought. Two of the absolute best women about.

I made the most of my Fight Pass this week and watched all of Yoel's UFC run. One of the more common features seems to be his insane ability to come from behind and maul the opponent. Also, I forgot how little he seemed to give a care about defending the takedown, in his early fights - granted, mainly because he usually popped back up without much damage done.

Despite all the talk of cardio issues, he's usually always went three rounds and, for most of them, been the fighter to have the stronger showing in the latter stages. If there is an issue, it's that it takes him a while to figure things out and get going. For the most part, he's still super explosive come the third.

I'm in two minds on the main event. I think Shevchenko has a real chance, and all the tools, to beat Nunes. At the same time, I can't really pick against Nunes based on her form. At the moment, I'm leaning towards picking Nunes to retain, but I have reservations.

12 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

What's wrong with Whittaker? :( He's an exciting, talented fighter and a nice, humble guy.

He's Australian. I can't stand Australians.

Just kidding, I just don't think he's all that exciting. I prefer wacky Yoel.

• Paid Members

@Noah Southworth That's true but Nunes' recent form is based on her destroying a Miesha Tate who had one foot in retirement and a Ronda Rousey who was mentally not the same and could only win on the ground but couldn't get it there. Nunes is a fantastic fighter and she did what she was supposed to do in those fights. But at the same time they were good matchups for Nunes IMO and were the results I fully expected going in. This is different for me. Shevchenko doesn't have the name recognition of Rousey or Tate but I think she's a much tougher fight for Nunes. 

Watch Nunes go and wreck her in a minute now I've said that! 

Archived