UFC 213: Romero vs Whittaker

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

of course it is, but what happens when someone forces Romero out of that? i think he wilts.

Trying to do that though is dangerous, because of how deadly his explosive fighting style is. When you go all out you end up leaving yourself open to a counter. Or you just fuck yourself and run out of gas.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yep, read my original post Rey i'm fully aware of that. It's a tough puzzle to solve, i think a high volume striker who isn't afraid to let his hands go is the key. Put Romero on his heels and keep him there.

• Paid Members

there's that too, but seeing's as Romero's a monster grappler himself fighters might fancy their chances at outgrappling the guy. It's a tough nut to crack no doubt.

• Paid Members

Definitely. You need to be high level to even contemplate getting into a grappling fest with Yoel - or hope he's carrying some mad injury. As folk in the know point out, it's not that he's some master grappling technician (of course, by elite standards), it's that he's got that Lesnar-style power and explosiveness, where he can very quickly make you look foolish.

Others in the UFC have tried to poke for holes, but Yoel has always stood with his arm raised, come the end. He's just not a normal dude and I don't know if you can prepare for the heat he brings in a fight. Game plan, sort of, working? BOOM! Flying knee to the head.

Scary explosiveness with maybe the best wrestling in MMA. As Egg rightly types, it's a tough bollock to burst. Yoel is maybe the biggest freak ever to compete in the UFC.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

it's not that he's some master grappling technician (of course, by elite standards)

Olympic silver medal in freestyle wrestling says otherwise.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Olympic silver medal in freestyle wrestling says otherwise.

Yeah, I thought it was funny, myself, but I've read and heard a few mention that his raw power and freak athleticism is what made the difference, a lot of the time. I'm not saying he's shit (again, silver medal, dawg), just mentioning his freak athleticism and raw power were enough to overcome some limitations others, that know about these things, have mentioned. It was more praising what a monster he is.

I think Luke Thomas called it "low wrestling IQ" - again, by the very elite standards.

I think Robert Whittaker has the right style to beat Yoel Romero. I think the way to beat Romero is to keep him at a distance and chip away at his legs to take away his explosiveness. If you do that, I think you take away a lot of threat that Romero might otherwise possess. Whittaker has all the tools to do that, and I think he will and he’ll outpoint Romero.

• Paid Members

Romero to do a cartwheel handspring jumping bomb angel spinning back fist to Whittaker, at 4:59 of the fifth round, to take the title. He'll then march around the Octagon again, get Ray to tell everyone how he has the heart of a lion and defied the odds like Ali against Fraizer, and that he's going to run for President of Cuba. Oh, and he's bound to declare his undying love to Michael Bisping, and that he plans to put him down out of kindness in November.

I'm unwilling to entertain the idea of Romero losing a boring decision. Nope. 

• Paid Members

If Romero loses then I can't see it being a boring decision. Whittaker is anything but a boring fighter. I think if Whittaker wins it'll be by knockout, catching Yoel with something. 

Archived