UFC 213: Romero vs Whittaker

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Haha, looks like three of us came in here with the intention of cooing over Yoel's God Bod. Needless to say, I went to the gym tonight.

Anyway, seeing as the other Bif posted the full workout, here's Luke Thomas similarly getting a bit hot under the collar:

I do love Yoel. He's got proper star potential, should he keep winning.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

it would have been gameover in the first 5 seconds of that clip if that were me

Same here, but that's down to the fact my left shoulder would've dislocated itself again from the stretches. It was all a bit Magic Mike with him in his pants doing all that though, I was half expecting a group of drunk lasses on a hen do to shove notes into his pants.

• Paid Members

yeh, i felt a little bit unsettled by it all. I remember my ex-missus ripping me a new one when i told her i'd gone to see the weigh-in's for UFC 105, she just couldn't understand why'd i'd goto an arena to watch 20 odd men stand on a scale in their pants, i wonder what she'd have though of Romeo's exhibition?

I'm in the Romero fan club. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. He's cool as fuck. 

That said - for all his beach muscles, the question mark over him has always been his cardio.  If Whittaker can take him into the Championship rounds then I'm backing him. The fight isn't on my betting slip.  TBH I'm struggling to pick anybody to back on Saturday's card at all. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, OzExile said:

I'm in the Romero fan club. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. He's cool as fuck. 

That said - for all his beach muscles, the question mark over him has always been his cardio.  If Whittaker can take him into the Championship rounds then I'm backing him. The fight isn't on my betting slip.  TBH I'm struggling to pick anybody to back on Saturday's card at all. 

Still to this day, I don't get this cardio question mark. People seem to have latched onto his performance against Jacare and just tarred his entire career.

The way some people make out like he's this explosive beast (almost Vitor like) and then fades completely? Everyone bar 1 of his UFC wins has gone to 3 rounds. Even the Tim Kennedy fight where he was dead on his stool at the end of his second, he gets up (a few seconds late admittedly) and steam rolls Kennedy. 

In his last win against Weidman he got better and better as the fight progressed and fucking flew through the air with a flying knee to finish it in the 3rd. Same with his performance against Machida. 

• Paid Members

i think it's justified, looking at his record, Romero's finished 5 of his UFC fights in round 3 so he's definitely dangerous as fuck no matter what time in a fight it is, why i think it's justified is because Romero fights very conservatively. Considering he has one of the most frightening highlight reels in the sport it probably leads people to believe Romero is exciting to watch but for the most part he's pretty boring, he doesn't do a lot, he just has the ridiculous ability to explode and do something crazy, and usually does so he keeps you on edge. That said, i think a high pace and an ability to make Romero uncomfortable is the key, it's the reason i actually quite fancy Michael Bisping to do alright against Yoel and i get a similar feeling with Whitaker if not more so. The thing Romero has going for him is that he's so lethal that it stops people from pulling the trigger against him, if Whitaker can get his shots off and get into a rhythym i can see him cruising.

I might be completely wrong, but that's why we watch :)

That's just intelligent fighting though. If you can control the pace of a fight and not blast through your energy reserves, so you can suddenly explode on someone deep in the third round. There are a lot of fighters who are sucking wind by the end of the first, Or they never seem to move up in gear.  

• Paid Members

Just because he fights a conservative style doesn't mean he has cardio issues though Egg. I can name endless conservative fighters and they haven't been labelled with questionable cardio. On top of that, even if he fight's conservative for short periods, he's still never boring. He can go 10 seconds doing nothing, but then explode into the most crazy shit you've ever seen. 

It just seems to me another one of those things where a handful of people have just latched onto something that Rogan has said during his podcast and ran with it. To me it's a lazy observation as some have just looked at his performance against Jacare, added to the fact he's jacked, and just kept the assumption his cardio is shit.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not pretending he's Cain Velasquez either, but I refuse to label him a one round wonder like Vitor where he just crumbles as the rounds progress (I'm not saying you are btw).

You are probably right with your assessment that Whittaker will be the favourite as the rounds progress as he doesn't get tired, but history suggests that Romero is dangerous as fuck the longer it goes on. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

That's just intelligent fighting though. If you can control the pace of a fight and not blast through your energy reserves, so you can suddenly explode on someone deep in the third round. There are a lot of fighters who are sucking wind by the end of the first, Or they never seem to move up in gear.  

of course it is, but what happens when someone forces Romero out of that? i think he wilts.

Archived