Most Shocking Title Changes

Liam O'Rourke

Not a major league one, but shocking nonetheless, especially as much of the backstage crew was told a different ending - Christopher Daniels winning the FWA title and taking it to the US.

I remember the booking sheet had 'Jody Fleisch over' to ensure a genuine reaction from the other wrestlers who were sent out on the stage to watch the match. I also remember that Jody was taken out of the match with an injury angle before doing the 'heroic return' near the end of the match (it was a triple threat), only to lose to Daniels at the end.

Another one that comes to mind is when I went to see the WCW UK tour in 1993, and moments before Sting beat Vader for the title in London, I said to the guy in front of me "nah, he won't win the title here, it's not being televised". That shocked me!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOD losing the tag straps to Money Inc. Came out of nowhere since they were fueding with the Disasters. Was this ever shown on TV in any form? 

Also Bulldog losing to Shawn for the IC belt on Saturday Nights Main Event and the European title at One Night Only. 

Edge cashing in on Taker was one for me.

Had no idea Taker was injured. He had just battled thru a great fued with Batista culminating in the (fuck finish) cage match. Big Mizzark comes down to destroy Big Red and thats the show..  but oh no here comes Edge to pick the bones of Taker and takes his belt off him! 

Totally shocked. 10 years ago.  Still love it.

• Paid Members

As a 11 year old WWF fan I was stunned when Flair won the Royal Rumble and the Title in 92 what was the big Nosed Chipped Toothed old man trying to be young doing with the WWF title? I liked Hogan, Bulldog and Savage and didn't want that guy from the crappy programme on late night itv as champ. I've since come to adore the match and Flair and the WCW show I question had Lance Russell on commentary and Sid and Stiener squash matches how didn't I love that?

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, stevieg1980 said:

LOD losing the tag straps to Money Inc. Came out of nowhere since they were fueding with the Disasters. Was this ever shown on TV in any form? 

No, it wasn't. It came out of nowhere because Hawk failed a drugs test so they had to suspend him and get the belts off LOD so decided makeshift Ted & Irwin vs Natural Disasters as babyfaces was the way to go. Allegedly LOD agreed to only lose the titles if they were booked strong (interference from Jimmy Hart, Sherri and Typhoon) AND that it never make air.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Phil Austin said:

Not a major league one, but shocking nonetheless, especially as much of the backstage crew was told a different ending - Christopher Daniels winning the FWA title and taking it to the US.

I remember the booking sheet had 'Jody Fleisch over' to ensure a genuine reaction from the other wrestlers who were sent out on the stage to watch the match. I also remember that Jody was taken out of the match with an injury angle before doing the 'heroic return' near the end of the match (it was a triple threat), only to lose to Daniels at the end.

I was there backstage that day, so many people got worked it was hilarious, we all saw that booking sheet! It got the reaction they wanted that's for sure. Thanks for reminding me of that, fun memories, seems like forever ago.

• Paid Members

Not that this will mean much to any of you, but the "Jody Fleisch over" story reminds me of a match in the promotion I work for, CIWW.

We had Ophidian, from CHIKARA, as our United States Champion (he didn't beat anyone for it, he was just champion by default, because he was from America. That's canon.), and he was defending against one of our guys, CJ, who was only 16 years old at the time. A really sweet kid, and a massive, unabashed WWE mark. The booking sheet, the ring announcer's script, everything had Ophidian going over. Even CJ was told that Ophidian was going over.

In the match itself, Ophidian hits his finish, and tells CJ to kick out. CJ's now in a bit of a panic, but that was the planned finish, but Ophidian walks him through another couple of minutes. CJ catches Ophidian in an inside cradle, and Ophidian holds on so tight that CJ couldn't let him go if he tried, doesn't kick out, and I count the three.

CJ reacted as if he'd just legitimately won the fight of his life, it was the most hilariously genuine celebration I've ever seen in a wrestling match. The only people who had been in on it were myself, Ophidian and the boss - like some kind of mad reverse screwjob.

Thing is, Ophidian told me before the show that, when I hand the belt to CJ, I should either let him know that was the plan all along, or shake my head and say, "Man, Ophidian's going to be pissed with you". The latter would have been hilarious, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

• Paid Members

That's a lovely story! You don't often hear about stuff like that, it's usually horrible things. I get the impression that, because of the nature of Chikara, that it's about not taking wrestling so seriously, that the guys there must be very easy-going and more up for doing things like that than those in other companies.

Just wanted to thank everybody for the contributions - the show looking at the Most Shocking Title Changes in History is now available at the following link:

Join us as we discuss the most shocking title changes of all time! Taking your nominations, we look at some of the most jarring moments in wrestling history, and analyse the execution and follow-up of title changes such as Bret Hart beating Ric Flair, Chris Jericho becoming Undisputed Champion, Big Show beating Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series 2002, Shawn Michaels winning the World Title on the same show, Sheamus dethroning John Cena at TLC, the title victories of David Arquette, Vince McMahon and Vince Russo, Jinder Mahal and JBL's rapid ascensions to the top, the Honky Tonk Man defeating Ricky Steamboat, the incident on The Main Event with Hogan and Andre, Edge cashing in Money in the Bank, the Summers Of Punk, and many many more. A really fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

• Awards Moderator

The podcast actually made me feel a bit better about the idea of Jinder as WWE Champion. It's still the most egregious example of hotshotting a nobody to the belt, but the other changes that came up in the episode showed that it's far from the first time they've done something like it. I hadn't really realised how quickly Slaughter got shoved up to the title in 90/91. There's hope yet!

• Paid Members

Not to mention that Slaughter had name value prior to that run - at that point, he'd had the GI Joe action figure, and was a major name; I don't think that we, outside of the US, necessarily realise what a big deal Sarge was for a while. Sarge is more a case of them bringing a name back for a major push, not just plucking someone from midcard obscurity.

Archived