Most Shocking Title Changes

Liam O'Rourke

For this week's podcast, we're talking about the most shocking title changes in history, and are looking for your suggestìons.

As a fan, which ONE title change did you personally find the most jarring when it happened, and why? Of course it can be any title in any promotion at any time, and the best nominations/explanations will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So which one was it for you and why?

EDIT - The show discussing the Most Shocking Title Changes in History, featuring many of your contributions, is now available at the following link: https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/tuknpb/SCG_Radio_120_-_Most_Shocking_Title_Changes_In_History.mp3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a kid, the Mountie beating Bret hart. Reading how Bret had a "fever" and battled on but lost in the end jarred me. Led on to piper winning, and the mania 8 match that I feel really made Bret, as had never seen Piper lose before 

• Awards Moderator

Great topic! Hard to just pick one. My mind tends to go first to the people who went very quickly from Nobody to WWE Champion (Mahal, JBL, Sheamus, and back in 2002 I'd have put Lesnar here) or people who beat those who were champions for ages, like Austin Aries' ROH Title win. I was watching ROH on the Wrestling Channel and was reading online that this guy I'd never seen before was the man who ended Samoa Joe's reign - it was definitely a shock that anybody could beat Joe!

But if I had to pick one...

Edge cashing in Money In The Bank at New Year's Revolution 2006 to win the WWE Championship. It had never been done before. It's been done many times since, but for sheer shock value, that first time will always be the best.

Chris Jericho becoming the first Undisputed Champion sticks out for me. With the Invasion over and the WWF reigning supreme, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that the finals of the unification tournament would be between the two biggest WWF stars, The Rock and Steve Austin. There was even a slight chance in my mind that Kurt Angle might weasel his way to the final, being Vince's boy and all that, but Jericho winning it never crossed my mind. Even knowing that Triple H was gonna come back and win the Royal Rumble, it seemed like there was a built in story of him gunning for Austin's title after the Two Man Power Trip's untimely end. But that would have involved keeping WWF deserter Austin heel and Alliance mole Angle face, rather than the ridiculous double turn the night after the Invasion ended. Which is a poor booking choice to talk about another time.

Bret losing to Backland then Backland losing to Diesel.

I was a big Bret fan as a kid and couldn't believe he lost to Bob at Survivour Series.

Tune in to watch the 1 hour RAW highlights show on Sky 1 the following Saturday to find Diesel is the new champ.

Being a young wrestling fan i found this all very confusing.

• Paid Members

Edge cashing in the MITB briefcase on John Cena. A genuine jaw-dropping moment at the climax of a pretty mundane PPV. Lots of results have surprised or annoyed me but this is one of only two I can think of that I didn't see as even being possible at the start of a PPV. The other one, Hogan at WM9 sucked balls but this was incredible. There's no wonder it led to a rise in ratings, it gave the product a massive shot of adreneline, gave Cena a brilliant villain to chase and made their "anything can happen" bollocks actually seem true for once. They ruined it, but that's another story.

The most recent one that comes to mind is Jinder Mahal. A guy, who was jobbing left and right at the start of the year to midcarders. When the Orton vs Mahal match was announced, I assumed this would be a throwaway defence for Orton until a more credible opponent came along. A bit like when R-Truth got a PPV world title match a few years back.

However, watching the match unfold and seeing Jinder getting the better of Orton, the main thought that started creeping through my head was 'are they actually going through with this?!' Jinder wins and the crowd was just as gobsmacked as I was. Was it a good decision? Who knows, but it certainly was shocking. 

Sheamus winning his first WWE title from John Cena for me. He had only been on Raw for a month before this and I totally didn't see it coming. It was rare at the time to see Cena losing clean which happened here albeit in a tables match. 

I think for me it was Daniel Bryan winning at Wrestlemania 30. I truly felt throughout that entire build there was no way they would cave and actually have him win - enter the match; fine, but win - not on your life mark. 

Obviously very happy he did win; and a great night that sadly went downhill very quickly 

The decision obviously got reversed later but Jericho beating Triple H was brilliant.

I watched it again the other night and everything about it was perfect. The fast count, the fan reaction as nobody expected it. Wrestling at its best.

• Awards Moderator
32 minutes ago, Killjoy_Gee said:

I think for me it was Daniel Bryan winning at Wrestlemania 30. I truly felt throughout that entire build there was no way they would cave and actually have him win - enter the match; fine, but win - not on your life mark. 

Obviously very happy he did win; and a great night that sadly went downhill very quickly 

I remember feeling the same about Benoit in 2004. I wanted him to win but never thought he had a chance - then he did. It was happy shock in that case!

Archived