State of U.K. wrestling

martinQblank

12 minutes ago, Nick Soapdish said:

speaking of the buzzing independent scene, 5 Star have postponed their tour until February and looks like they have scrapped the tournament. Maybe CM Punk wasn't available until next year then

Did you even read the first post?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There was a company that randomly ran in Newcastle for 1 advertised show. It promised RVD (I think before he signed for TNA), he was apparently never booked, the show never ran, no one got refunds. That was my 1st experience of being completely fucked over by a show. The last one was the whole WrestleSlam ordeal, I'm almost sorry for even mentioning it.

There was a show which I attended with a couple of mates, who had never seen a live show before. Dave Taylor had been booked and I believe that Ice Man was on the show (north east bloke who filmed himself bullying people calling them strawbs).

Anyway, that has to have been the worst show I have ever been to. It was in a theatre with the ring on the stage. And seating was typically only facing one side of the ring. I can't even remember if Taylor turned up, I believe he didn't. But the wrestling itself was Fucking horrific, Just awful. Tombola at the interval which nobody entered, kids had a dance off on stage... the whole thing was shocking.

I really wish Sloan would do some more shit with Dragon Gate. I went to the 1st 2 DGUK's and weighing everything up, they were my favourite live events I've ever attended. Well organised, especially considering it was 2 companies working together, and half of the people involved only spoke Japanese and were jet lagged.

In reality it comes down to who is booking the event. If it's the right team they will book the right people, organise effectively and much like in Sloan's case, be sound as fuck with the punters.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

be sound as fuck with the punters.

This is such a big part of it for me.

I attended CHIKARA's first UK tour, and I loved that they would have babyface wrestlers stood around the exit as you were leaving, in gimmick, to thank you for coming and generally dick around a bit. The last show had pretty much every available face lined up to shake people's hands and thank them on the way out, and you leave in much higher spirits because of it.

Similarly - and I'm going to give a shout-out to two promotions here, Fight Club Pro and Pro Wrestling EVE, in both cases, the shows I've attended, the promoter and crew are approachable, accommodating, and it feels like they're invested in ensuring you have a great time, and that you feel welcome. Compare that to some shows where the main event finishes, the ring announcer plugs the next show, and then you're left to your own devices wandering out the door, no "thank you for coming", no opportunity to maybe speak with the promoter and congratulate them on a good show, should you wish to, and just nothing to make you feel like your presence was appreciated.

The companies that can get that right are the ones I'm far more likely to support, almost regardless of what matches are getting booked. Another promotion might book a five star classic, but I want to go away having felt that I had a great time and, ideally, was part of something, not just a passive observer.

Everything else you said is spot-on, too. When we think of a promoter's job, it's too easy to think in terms of what matches are booked, when and where. But the nitty-gritty of making sure everything actually goes to plan, and that the experience is an enjoyable one, is the true test of a good promotion.

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

There was a company that randomly ran in Newcastle for 1 advertised show. It promised RVD (I think before he signed for TNA), he was apparently never booked, the show never ran, no one got refunds. That was my 1st experience of being completely fucked over by a show. The last one was the whole WrestleSlam ordeal, I'm almost sorry for even mentioning it.

There was a show which I attended with a couple of mates, who had never seen a live show before. Dave Taylor had been booked and I believe that Ice Man was on the show (north east bloke who filmed himself bullying people calling them strawbs).

Anyway, that has to have been the worst show I have ever been to. It was in a theatre with the ring on the stage. And seating was typically only facing one side of the ring. I can't even remember if Taylor turned up, I believe he didn't. But the wrestling itself was Fucking horrific, Just awful. Tombola at the interval which nobody entered, kids had a dance off on stage... the whole thing was shocking.

I really wish Sloan would do some more shit with Dragon Gate. I went to the 1st 2 DGUK's and weighing everything up, they were my favourite live events I've ever attended. Well organised, especially considering it was 2 companies working together, and half of the people involved only spoke Japanese and were jet lagged.

In reality it comes down to who is booking the event. If it's the right team they will book the right people, organise effectively and much like in Sloan's case, be sound as fuck with the punters.

That wasn't the People's Theatre was it? Or the Tyne Theatre? Dan Fitch's MEW ran shows in both those places. I remember really enjoying the ones at the Tyne Theatre, even though it wasn't a great set up physically, just because you had the likes of Jonny Storm, Jody Fleisch, Spud, Pac/Neville, Sheamus, Christian and Doug Williams on the shows. Sound system was decent for playing Honky Tonk Man's music over and over again too. It didn't come across quite so well at the People's (which I bring up because the MEW show there - night of WrestleMania 23 I think, because I'm sure I drove from it to my mate Jack's to watch Mania live, having been unable to convince him to buy a ticket to the show to see Heidenreich live and in person - also featured Iceman ranting about smarks and the UK Fan Forum, which I had signed up to either immediately before this show, or immediately after, so whatever he said must have convinced me it was worth signing up) and I think the line-up was part of it, but the smaller theatre space just didn't suit the wrestling as well as the bigger, grander one. World Of Sport used to run City Hall, according to my nana, so it might not be something intrinsic with the theatre style set up, but it's not the best for crowd interaction. Or audience brawling, though Iceman tried. Fairly sure he or his opponent (GTS, but nothing to do with the move, General something) got chucked into a bloke in the second row who I'm guessing was a local trainee.

That is a blast from the past! I was at the Dave Taylor show it was ran by a guy called Eric who has promoted a couple of shows in social clubs in front of 50 people then decided to run a 1000+ capacity building with Dave Taylor on top, who did show up. Eric and his backer lost a fortune and was never heard from again.

It was an odd set up in there, but very cool seeing Christian there. MEW seem to still be running with great success by the looks of it. 

• Paid Members

He did show up did he? I stand corrected, although the show in general was crap. I maybe set my expectations too high on the premise that Dave Taylor was in Newcastle. However, going back on topic, it clearly didn't know what it was. You had a a wrestler from early-mid 90's wcw, ice man smashing his head off pillars in the aisle, followed by him and a few others being pissed and swearing in the bar that you had to walk through to get to the toilets, all the while the show came across like a child's end of term disco, it was basically missing black lace over the speakers.

HG - it was the one on west gate road. Don't get me wrong, beautiful venue, I think the quality (lack) of the show highlighted the fact that viewing from just one side seemed odd.

Martin - am I right in thinking the ropes fucked at one point too? I'm pretty positive there was an issue so they spent time fixing it.

• Paid Members
On 2017-6-2 at 5:04 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

That wasn't the People's Theatre was it? Or the Tyne Theatre? Dan Fitch's MEW ran shows in both those places. I remember really enjoying the ones at the Tyne Theatre, even though it wasn't a great set up physically, just because you had the likes of Jonny Storm, Jody Fleisch, Spud, Pac/Neville, Sheamus, Christian and Doug Williams on the shows. Sound system was decent for playing Honky Tonk Man's music over and over again too. It didn't come across quite so well at the People's (which I bring up because the MEW show there - night of WrestleMania 23 I think, because I'm sure I drove from it to my mate Jack's to watch Mania live, having been unable to convince him to buy a ticket to the show to see Heidenreich live and in person - also featured Iceman ranting about smarks and the UK Fan Forum, which I had signed up to either immediately before this show, or immediately after, so whatever he said must have convinced me it was worth signing up) and I think the line-up was part of it, but the smaller theatre space just didn't suit the wrestling as well as the bigger, grander one. World Of Sport used to run City Hall, according to my nana, so it might not be something intrinsic with the theatre style set up, but it's not the best for crowd interaction. Or audience brawling, though Iceman tried. Fairly sure he or his opponent (GTS, but nothing to do with the move, General something) got chucked into a bloke in the second row who I'm guessing was a local trainee.

I went to all the mid to late 00's MEW shows.  Have very fond memories of them, great times to be a wrestling fan in the North East.

The people's theatre show, Fool's Gold, was one of the most memorable I went to for several reasons:

-  Iceman going crazy in his match with GTS.  Started off by ranting about the UKFF.  Then had a brawl around this tiny theatre.  I remember people chucking coins at him, you could hear them hitting the wall behind him.  Then a fan must have hit him and he really kicked off.  He broke character and yelled out "no one hits me Stevie" (Stevie being the promoter/wrestling shop owner/guy who looks like the bloke from Faith No More).  I think the fan shit himself or Iceman went for him because I remember the fan running out of the building.

-  My brother starting a "please retire" chant at babyface GTS in what was meant to be GTS' last match, and GTS giving some (understandable) arsey response back on the microphone.

-  A couple of the IT teachers from my school were on the card as Fitch's security.  They couldn't work for shit.  I saw them on the previous card not realising they were involved with wrestling, so was super excited and rounded a load of lads from school to come to this show hoping they would be on.  I think 8 of us went in the end.  We chanted "Bastista" at one of them as he looked like Batista.  At the interval we were at the bar and saw the said teachers, along with a couple of other teachers sat at a table.  None of us actually did IT or knew the wrestler teachers, but I remember my fit Irish maths teacher was sat with them.  We went up to them all excited then had an excruciatingly awkward small exchange of words - they were mortified to see us and we had no idea what to say to them.  I must have said something idiotic like "I loved your match Batista", then shyly said hello to maths teach, before an uncomfortable silence and us then walking off, tails between legs.      

-  Heidenreich in the People's theatre was a sight to behold.  Was very fat.

-  Before and after the show, me and my mates conducted what we thought was one of the best jokes ever.  The 8 of us went to the show in two cars.  The show was called Fools Gold, and just before we got to the theatre car park we synchronised pressing play in the two separate cars and blasting out the song "Fools Gold" by the Stone Roses as loud as possible.  The two cars did multiple laps of the car park with families looking on in bewilderment and disdain.  I don't think any of them got the reference.   On the way out the cars did ten laps of the car park to prolong the joke as the track played.  I'd have loved to have seen CCTV footage of it.

-  Drove home and watched Wrestlemaina 23 that night with the lads.

Overall MEW was amazing during that time period.  Great matches with the likes of PAC.  Future stars from the UK scene.  Decent and varied imports from Raven to Austin Aires, to Honky Tonk Man.  I wish I still lived in the North East  and could get to the shows of its modern (and very much toned down) incarnation.     

List of MEW shows below.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=179&page=8

I refereed the shows mentioned above for MEW and continue to referee for them today. As a promotion they are a rare success story in British wrestling when you consider how long they have been established and have done very well for themselves continuing to draw strong crowds at the regular venue and produce quality wrestling.

MEW are an example that you don't need all the bells and whistles  production wise in order to be successful but then how do you measure success as one persons idea might be different to another which is often the case of arguement in pro wrestling..

I have fond memories of the shows mentioned above and the unique set up of the shows, it's the only time Iv refereed a show that's been in a theatre setting with the ring on a stage. It really changes the dynamic and atmosphere. Having the wrestlers enter from the back of the venue and through the fans to the stage was interesting, I remember Christian making the most of it and really getting amongst the fans and revelling in it. I remember speaking to Honky Tonk after the showing and saying I was amazed at the reaction he recieved and rightly deserved and how even though he did very little in the ring he still got that reaction, he said to me that's what made me smarter than most of they others in the locker room as I realised it that in wrestling less is more and it's not about doing a million moves at a million miles an hour, thinking back I'm sure he'd of received a positive reaction no matter what he did.

I remember when in the North East there were only 3 promotions running at the same time, IWF, 3CW and the promotion I worked for WZW. Now there seems to be promotions popping up all the time which has it good and bad points. Each promotion seemed to have its own fan base and much like the NWA territory days the promotions kept to their regular venues and stayed away from the other promotions. They were great days and it's awesome to see that some of the talent from back then are still around today obviously PAC/Neville being the obvious one but you also have Prince Ameen, Jamie Ahmed, Assasin and Martin Kirby as well as others.

WZW was the promotion were Jake Roberts got in to altercation with Alex Shane in Dumfries and then went on to face Iceman in the main event which Jake obviously out of his head struggled to get through. If I remember right it was just days before that his snake was left to die at the home of his friend, I know he also had a snake taken from him by the RSPCA. So Jake came to Dumfries without a snake. I was on ringside camera that night and I remember clearly the sound of his head cracking against the floor when he took a simple bump out the ring. After the match he proceeded get on the mike and cut a promo stating he was retiring from wrestling well that didn't exactly work out.

• Moderators
On 2017-6-1 at 10:13 AM, BomberPat said:

I work for a promotion in Jersey

I have nothing to say other than did you ever shop in Benest's of Millbrook or Fineprice, and was it as ace as the adverts? "2 Litar!" "Four Superlatives"

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I have nothing to say other than did you ever shop in Benest's of Millbrook or Fineprice, and was it as ace as the adverts? "2 Litar!" "Four Superlatives"

Haha! Fineprice is before my time living here, I think, but Benests is pretty much identical now to it was in those ads. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ekujLk3xS8

It's just a posh bastard listing arbitrary food items, it's so good.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Haha! Fineprice is before my time living here, I think, but Benests is pretty much identical now to it was in those ads. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ekujLk3xS8

It's just a posh bastard listing arbitrary food items, it's so good.

That;s Benest himself!!!

AND HE HAS RENEWED VIGOUR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcnJ9S0O4c

Archived