School plays

HarmonicGenerator

• Moderators

I was THE BEST Ebenezer Scrooge at the age of 11. Even managing to bring the house down with a wonderfully improvised "Dressing gowns. Humbug" after I got stuck in one as I was meant to be taking it off when I awoke all happily on Christmas Morning. Everyone agreed I was the best there had ever been.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
14 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Anyway, year 7 brought a new music teacher, Miss Cockram (actual name, yet not one which many adolescent brains used to its full hilarious effect) and with her came the confidence that the school could do musicals (we couldn't). She gave it a bloody good go though, starting with 'Bugsy Malone'. I read for it, got a part, rented the film from the video shop to see who I was going to be, discovered it was this fat fuck:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mVZmW59AAgw/maxresdefault.jpg

LEROY. I was a tubby bastard in middle school so I took this as a personal affront. I couldn't be any other part? I had to be the short-sighted fat sidekick? Fuck that, Miss Cockram, I'm out. I walked.Ā 

Funnily enough, we also did Bugsy Malone in school. I was in year 10 when we did ours and as I was one of only 6 kids in theĀ GCSE music class, I was pretty much required to audition for it and I got cast as Cagey Joe, the boxing trainer who takes Leroy under his wing, as featured in that very same photo. My mates little brother got cast in the Leroy role and, to be fair, he definitely fit the part:

tp0csBd.jpg

We did four performances - Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights with a Friday afternoon show for the whole school. It was the Friday night show that my mum came to and that was the one they chose to film. So you can probably guess which of the four performances I managed to fuck up by completely forgetting the last verse of my songĀ :crazy:Ā  No idea if it was the extra pressure of knowing it was being filmed, I didn't feel any different before going on stage, but I'd never forgotten my lines during rehearsals or the other performances so it was pretty embarrassing.

Luckily, I had two roles in the production and a chance to redeem myself... My other role had meĀ dressed all in black and catching the characters killed by the splurge and carry them off stage. Fortunately, I at least managed not to drop anyone on camera!

• Moderators

"I will buy your motorcycle", I said in Master Money the Millionaire, when said titular character went broke and had to sell his stuff.

I had a few other single line roles throughout my pathetic acting career, but that's the only one I can remember, because I got to drive the toy motorcycle off the stage after delivering the line.

Man, that Keenan and Kel one sounds amazing...

8 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Ugly Sister

*fist bump*

Esmerelda, I was. First year in the "juniors" half of my primary school, four years after my star turn as sneezing Santa.

I had a wonderful frock. An amazing frock. Big, frilly green dress that swallowed you up like a flower bud when you sat down on the floor.

That was, until our teacher became resigned to the fact that my mate and fellow Ugly Sister was too fucking podgy for his slimline scratchy silver number, and we had to swap.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh, as the restrictive sequins didn't keep this quiet kid from transforming like a pumpkin into the most animated character of the night.

You just can't keep talent down, darlings.

But seriously, something I'll always remember about those Christmas productions was the novelty of being in school after dark, which added a kind of magic that just, somehow, isn't recaptured by working till 5:30 every winter's evening as an adult.

• Paid Members

I was a hobo shouting "BIG ISSUE, MERRY CHRISTMAS!" for about a minute during a production of Rab C Nesbitt in P6 (it was clean, but still, WTF, for a kids play?). Think that's all I've got.

Did regret not doing Bugsy Malone in secondary, people got to scone the head-teacher with creampies!

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Ā 

Did regret not doing Bugsy Malone in secondary, people got to scone the head-teacher with creampies!

Was she a looker?Ā 

• Paid Members

The highlight of my school acting career was playing a tree in The Wizard of Oz. That was actually considered a proper role, and not just an instance of each class getting to do a number.

I turned down the role of an ugly sister in Cinderella after the teacher made some shitty comment about how I didn't have enough self respect to feel embarrassed by the role. I ended up playing one of Bob Cratchet's family in A Christmas Carol and had about two lines.

Other than that, drummer boy in the nativity play, elephant in something (I forget what) and the letter "i" in the Christmas Alphabet. Ours were always horrifically low budget, with costumes made from paper and cut up egg boxes.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Would be "Islamist" in todays nativity, except you can't have one anymore etc.

He'd put the "i" in "Winterval". Broken Britain.

Archived