General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

England announce 23-man World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.

Stand-by: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Pretty fair looking squad I think. A lot of youth and some experience. He's picked people like Loftus-Cheek on what they've done for him and people like Nick Pope on their club form. He's picked players from clubs big and small. He's left out players with big reputations and lots of caps to do what he thinks is right.

Personally, I think Welbeck is the only ridiculous selection. I can't really understand why James Milner isn't in. Otherwise, hard to complain.

Edit: Seems Milner might have chucked England duty. So didn't know that.

Pleased that Hart hasn't gone. He's had a shocker of a season, taking him instead of Pope would have been a massive slap in the face which sets an entirely wrong precedent. Rose going over Bertrand is a bit of a weird one but I can't have that much of a grumble all things considered. Jake Livermore even being a standby has to be a wind up though, surely? Made up for TAA, he's had a stormer of a season and the only thing that was against him was the fact the competition for his spot was the strongest out of the whole lineup. 

Who are you lot fancying this year? Any chance of a possible sweepstake?

Think I'm plumping for France, hopefully they'll put Euro 2016 behind them because on paper their squad supersedes pretty much anyone else. 

49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah let's take Danny Welbeck instead of Jadon Sancho. Such a progressive manager that Gareth Southgate.

If we're touting English prospects from the Bundesliga then Ademola Lookman has been involved in 7 goals in RBL's last 5 games. But you know, Welbs has workrate~

• Paid Members

Honestly believe Ryan Sessegon should have gone. He has been the the most consistent and quality left sided player in the wingback-esque role in English football.

A young lad with oodles of talent and in the form of his young career. He would have been absolutely perfect for Southgate's 352 formation.

Our centre halves are turgid aren't they? 

9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If Sessegnon, Sancho and Lookman had gone then I might actually have been excited to watch England. 

Sessegnon is only 17 years old and has played a helluva lot of games this year in the Championship. The lad needs a rest, not to be the 2018 of Theo Walcott. Sancho and Lookman shouldn't be anywhere near that squad for now either. Both look good players, but its way too early in their careers to be going to a major international tournament.

• Paid Members

It's the typical English mindset of being too young and lacking experience instead of backing actual natural talent and flair that might win England games in an increasingly attack-minded international and continental footballing landscape.

10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's the typical English mindset of being too young and lacking experience instead of backing actual natural talent and flair that might win England games in an increasingly attack-minded international and continental footballing landscape.

That's not true though is it? Sessegnon looks damn good, but he needs a break after a long season. And the other lads haven't played masses in the Bundesliga this year to warrant being in the squad despite looking like quality youngsters. 

I'd argue it's the typical English mindset of over hyping players from a young age only to see them burn out and fans turn on them for not fulfilling their potential.

Archived