General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I somehow doubt Mayor Joe Anderson will be chirping up about injustices with this one.

He's busy isn't he? Trying to find Ross Barkley. Missing since February 1st. Presumed dead.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I haven't watched all that much MLS. To those that have, a question: how would it compare to the English leagues in terms of quality? Championship? Lower Premiership? League One?

Also, have there been many cases of lower-league English players being signed by teams there?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why on earth are people expecting Rooney to be a failure in the MLS, the league where Bradly Wright-Phillips is probably the greatest ever player.

He's going to absolutely tear it up. Seeing as he's in double figures this season for a wank Everton side managed by Big Sam, having played half of his games in midfield, he will bang them in.

• Paid Members

Goalkeeping and defense is very league one for me except for a rare few cases. Midfield and up front I'd say could pass at Championship level and then of course your designated players are nearly always a midfielder or striker (again rare few exceptions). 

Bradley Wright Phillips is probably your best example of a Lower league player going there and being fantastic. Statically he's been one of the best English strikers in years if looking at goals in a season. 

• Paid Members

Quality wise, it's probably bottom half of the Championship. Although it's similar to the SPL in that good players from League One and League Two could do very well.

It's irrelevent though. It's a very entertaining league. It's eclectic, some teams play really good stuff with a South American influence creeping in far more these days. I really enjoy it. Especially as I only have the pleb version of Sky these days and loads of games are on that Sky Sports Mix channel.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Bradley Wright Phillips is probably your best example of a Lower league player going there and being fantastic. Statically he's been one of the best English strikers in years if looking at goals in a season. 

Dom Dwyer was a Norwich cast off as a kid and he's right up there too. Attained nationality and plays for the US now too. Chris Birchall was a League One player who went to LA Galaxy and had a load of good years there.

• Paid Members

Jack Price left Wolves for Colorado Rapids in January, Pricey is a decent Championship level midfielder who can put a foot in and has a decent 15 yard pass.

He's doing really well over there at the moment.

Wayne Rooney will slaughter the league in the same way, if not more so, as Robbie Keane.

I'm just surprised  he's going to DC, not really and not a bigger Franchise or more popular part of America.

• Paid Members

Does the MLS have a collegiate draft like the other Big Four sports? I see that DC finished bottom last season, so if the draft is a thing, they would've had the chance to select the collegiate MVP, yes? In which case, maybe Rooney thought they would be a likely team to do well this season with the best hottest new rookies (not that he would necessarily know this, but maybe DC's management made that part of their pitch to him, assuming all things regarding pay to be equal across the board).

EDIT: Hmmmm, a look at their current standings, i.e. bottom again, suggests that maybe that isn't the case.

6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Does the MLS have a collegiate draft like the other Big Four sports? I see that DC finished bottom last season, so if the draft is a thing, they would've had the chance to select the collegiate MVP, yes? In which case, maybe Rooney thought they would be a likely team to do well this season with the best hottest new rookies (not that he would necessarily know this, but maybe DC's management made that part of their pitch to him, assuming all things regarding pay to be equal across the board).

EDIT: Hmmmm, a look at their current standings, i.e. bottom again, suggests that maybe that isn't the case.

I think it's much more likely he fancied meeting Batman and Supergranman.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Quality wise, it's probably bottom half of the Championship. Although it's similar to the SPL in that good players from League One and League Two could do very well.

It's irrelevent though. It's a very entertaining league.

Agreed, it's been very enjoyable the last couple of years especially.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I haven't watched all that much MLS. To those that have, a question: how would it compare to the English leagues in terms of quality? Championship? Lower Premiership? League One?

Also, have there been many cases of lower-league English players being signed by teams there?

Again,  BRADLEY WRIGHT-PHILLIPS. Football hero

That should answer all questions you have. If not, Terry Cooke and Andy Dorman.

Archived