General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Those players are the lifeblood of football at every level. The players it comes easy to who you'd call your best players are the first to let you down. They turn up when they want and they know that when you say "If you don't come training you're not starting on Sunday" that you wouldn't fucking dare. They'll let you down for holidays, women, nights out and won't bat a fucking eyelid. The ones you treat like shit are there every week, twice a week. And they love the game. Far more than your star ever will. It's a massive shame.

When the team eventually goes to pot, it's always because the better players don't give a shit. So you either chuck it or you get a team of lifeblood players and play in Division 17. Not that there are 17 divisions these days. Lucky if there are 17 teams. This isn't an age or gender issue either. It's just football.

• Paid Members

I hate the 'clubman' type player. There they are week in week out, getting 5 mins a game and generally being shit. And yes they are wonderful compared to the premadonnas of the world.

But then there's the other bracket, the players who play week in week out without fail. Good enough to start every game and finish it. The players who when the keeper doesn't turn up because his Renault 5 won't start are trusted with the gloves because they are an overall good standard in most positions. But they belong in one, and there they will play for the entire season, and at the end of season awards they watch Gary the apprentice in plumbing go up and get an award for basically turning up to training and games.

Oh the sad and lonely life of a fullback.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Those players are the lifeblood of football at every level. The players it comes easy to who you'd call your best players are the first to let you down. They turn up when they want and they know that when you say "If you don't come training you're not starting on Sunday" that you wouldn't fucking dare. They'll let you down for holidays, women, nights out and won't bat a fucking eyelid. The ones you treat like shit are there every week, twice a week. And they love the game. Far more than your star ever will. It's a massive shame.

Wow, spoken like a true coach there Rick. And as much as I like poking fun at this Jose/McTominay situation, I completely agree with you. United have proved time and time again over the years that these kind of players can be the difference in winning trophies and being also-rans. Look at the Wes Browns, the John O'Sheas, Nicky Butts, Darren Fletchers etc. Not the most talented players they've had, but proper grafters that have made a big difference and often go completely unnoticed.

Do you still do a bit of coaching Rick? My 6yo son started training with a club earlier this year and will be playing in their u7 team when the new season starts. To be honest, there is nothing in my life right now that I am more excited about than watching him and his teammates train every Saturday morning. It's fucking great. I'm genuinely thinking about getting into coaching when I have more time on my hands to learn and study.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Do you still do a bit of coaching Rick? My 6yo son started training with a club earlier this year and will be playing in their u7 team when the new season starts. To be honest, there is nothing in my life right now that I am more excited about than watching him and his teammates train every Saturday morning. It's fucking great. I'm genuinely thinking about getting into coaching when I have more time on my hands to learn and study.

Not this season. I'm club secretary and we have 27 teams so that's a hell of a job. I also do all the admin and organising (the shit jobs basically) for the U14 Girls. I've been heavily involved in getting a new girls training centre of the ground but again, I'm the dogs body. I'm mostly involved in trying to secure our ground and build a new pavilion and renovate an old sports hall at the moment.

I'd recommend having a go to everyone. You'll need to do your FA Level 1 which involved Safeguarding and First Aid and probably Level 7 reffing too. From there, you can go anywhere you want. I reckon about 95% of people don't go beyond that which is fine if you just want to coach your kids team but you can take in CPD and do the Level 2 in blocks now so its easier to progress. Beyond that, it gets expensive which is a huge problem in England and a big part of the reason we have so few highly qualified coaches compared to Spain and germany and the like.

The other problem is the commitment. Everyone thinks it's training once a week and a game on a Sunday and are then put off by attending meetings, doing Admin, organising everything, taking money, topping up qualifications, trying to improve yourself, etc. You need to get a couple of good people around you to take the weight off. And then hope you don't become a bloody social worker when you start dealing with split families! Worst situation I had was a parent who was imprisoned for a violent crime and had an injunction afterwards. He turned up at a game and my assistant said "You have to go tell him to leave". I was like "He carries a fucking knife!"

As long as you go into it with your eyes open, it's great though.

• Paid Members

To add to @tiger_rick post, I used to work for a sportswear supplier which deals with Sunday League/youth clubs/amateur football teams, and just from talking to customers everyday I have no idea how people manage to juggle the running of a football team with a full-time job and family commitments. It is such hard work. Especially for clubs just starting out who tend to have one poor person doing the admin, kit, coaching, managing and secretary side of things all at once. But then you see how rewarding it is when they came to us after winning a cup, or having one of their lads who they coached be signed to a professional contract, so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Massive respect to you @tiger_rick, I coached between 2015 and late 2017. It was a rollercoaster of emotions all the way but I don't regret any of it. When I called it quits it was more to do with frustrations with the county FA and the way the club had been run/direction it was taking.

As @tiger_rickĀ said the commitment/dedication required is insane and it's a real eye opener on how grassroots is run. The FA are a fucking joke in this respect, it's all about PR and money for them.

Since then I've wanted to write about the experience I had but never get round to it.

• Paid Members

I must say I have been impressed with the coaching, which backs up what Rick has said here in recent years that kids are actually being coached to play football (with the ball at their feet, rather than kick & rush). There has been a high emphasis on close control, dribbling, passing, movement on & off the ball from what I've seen. My son attended a coaching session at Butlins last year held by somebody that you'd imagine was from the previous school of thinking (he was an Arsenal schoolboy player during the 90s if I recall) and during this 3 day course he mostly went through headers, diving headers and smashing the ball in from 10 yards. It couldn't be more classic English football if you tried.

• Paid Members

When it's the "academy" type training for the youngsters, I think there has been a big shift. When it comes to playing, that's where there's a bit of a divide. You still get win at all costs coaches versus people who exist to improve the kids. Parents don't help. The majority are arseholes.

• Paid Members

I've been coaching my sons team and it's horrific at points, dealing with what Rick said (the intricacies nobody really thinks about) - but very rewarding when you actually see them react to you and put into play what you're trying to get across to them.

They're a bunch of entitled, aggy little fuckers when they want to be, but when they see you can play a little bit as well, they tend to listen to you a bit more. The last lad they had in coaching was a Gaelic Football man who was very abrasive and hard on them and when he left, my lad and his mate asked me to step in and I went through a big rigmarole with the club secretaries etc, and now I'm officially U17's coach, did the grassroots course and doing D now with a view to the UEFA B etc, but I don't think I can stick it out permanently because of (a) the time involved and (b) the parents.
There's two nice parents I've dealt with. Two mams. Lovely to deal with and very good to their kids. The rest of them are majority male who thinks their lad has a right to be playing every minute of every match and will lose the plot if you dare substitute their kid. Honestly, it's insane and one day it'll end in digs been thrown, and I haven't the patience or temperament to be listening to them on the sidelines shouting abuse at their children because they mislaid a pass, or shouting at me because I tell one of them to go back to defend a set piece.

One of my best mates had to quit his role coaching a very esteemed youth team/feeder club in Ireland (he was featured prominently on a six part show about the club on Setanta Ireland) because of parents and pretty much advised me to get out.

Bit long winded, but just curious if anyone found this shite with parents while coaching. I'm sure @tiger_rick would have it worse being absolutely knee deep in the goings on with all aspects of the club, but it's quite overbearing.

My son moved teams recently from a private business that runs an academy to a parent run boys club setup. He'd been with the academy since going to their Saturday morning fun sessions when he was 3 and he's almost 8 now. A big part of moving him was because parents were gaining more influence in the academy setup and although I wasn't keen on a parent run team I could see a big blow up in the horizon, which has subsequently come to pass. He'd completely outgrown it in a way and wasn't having fun anymore so I took him along to training with the new team. They wanted to sign him the first night but we took the weekend and talked it over. He moved obviously and it's been the best thing to happen to him. The guys running the team are brilliant with the kids and although the training isn't as sophisticated there's still an emphasis on improving the boys rather than winning.

Parent spectators are 80% arsehole I've found, especially when kids are old enough for 11 a side. When I was reffing I had much less grief during semi-pro or amateur games than I got from the parents in youth football.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell lads, you've all sold me on the coaching idea. I'm super psyched about the prospect now :(

On the parents subject, as well as thinking their kid has a good given right to play every minute of every game and in a position they want them to play in, have there been problems where the parents are trying to coach their kid during the game in a way that conflicts with your coaching/instructions? I can see that happening a lot.

When I played u17's our Goalies dad used to coach him during games which mostly consisted of him screaming at him from behind the goal for the entire game. His younger brother by two years deputisedĀ for him once in a cup semi and saved a pen on his way to getting man of the match. The dad didn't scream at him once.Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Ā 

On the parents subject, as well as thinking their kid has a good given right to play every minute of every game and in a position they want them to play in, have there been problems where the parents are trying to coach their kid during the game in a way that conflicts with your coaching/instructions? I can see that happening a lot.

That's one of the things that's going to be a catalyst for digs being thrown, Brewster. It's way more frequent than it should be and honestly, it makes me genuinely consider nihilism.Ā 

Think of that obnoxious prick down the pub, with about four pints on him - just the right amount to make anyone think they're right about everything - who shouts at the players on the screen like they're after insulting him and everyone he holds dear, because his teams star striker couldn't latch onto a ball played 20 yards too far ahead of him. You know that sort? Well amp that up a bit and put his or her son into the equation. They also say 'track back' and 'man on' an unnecessary amount.Ā 

• Awards Moderator

That Champions' League final is going to be absolutely mental. Going forward, both teams can be/are a joy and will score for fun, but they're both as vulnerable as hell. Honestly, I think it could be the most entertaining final in years.

Archived