General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Again: it's just Real Madrid (and AC Milan, but now they've been cut down to size a bit, they're a bit more bearable). I consider them, along with AC, to be amongst the original and biggest contributors to the more unpleasant, monetary direction football went in from the 80s onwards, and thus a part of the reason why I stopped watching with any regularity from about 2001 onwards. In that context, of all the myriad things I count against Liverpool, that's not one of them. I agree about the fan thing, though - I've met some outright obnoxious pricks, who'll come up with all sorts of bollocks to justify their shitness or slag off United. The Evra/Suarez thing was one of the worst examples of that, particularly the stuff that came up on social media.

To put this into some perspective, they're probably the third- or fourth-last team in the world, after Real, AC, and City, that I want to see win anything.

With apologies to @Fog Dude, nobody calls them AC unless they're wrong.

I understand this monetary point even less than why a Manchester United fan would prefer Liverpool to win the Champions League over anyone, with the exception of City. I'm assuming, relating to Milan, you're talking about when Berlusconi took them over in the 80s. He actually saved them from almost certain bankruptcy, and it was money that then built a team that played some of the most brilliant football the game has perhaps ever seen. Their subsequent domination wasn't just based on their finances like current day City and PSG's is. That back four, which was arguably the greatest of all time in the domestic game, was based mostly around players who came through their youth academy.

As for Madrid, again, most of their success in the 80s was built on homegrown players and young players they brought up from smaller clubs or the lower leagues. It's arguable that at no point have they actually had a major financial injection and that all of their success has been built over the decades through successful business and transfer dealings and good appointments in terms of staff and coaching.

By all means, dislike them both, each to their own. But to criticise them for being the centrepoint of football's pitch for megabucks is unfair, and that pitch didn't really start until the early 90s - and it started over here with the creation of the Premier League.

• Paid Members

I just called them AC because I was used to differentiating them with Inter. I know that's not how people do it now, it's just a habit from childhood.

I didn't know the details about Milan that you've mentioned; all I remembered was growing up seeing all the ridiculous transfer fees for players like Lentini and Vialli that seemed to completely dwarf anything going on in the Premier league. 

As to Madrid, a lot of their success came prior to the 80s; OK, a lot of that was because there weren't many clubs from the other big European football countries participating in the competitions back then, but I was given to understand that they had a lot of backing from the Franco regime, right up to his death. It certainly explained why Barcelona had built up, over the years, this traditional perception of them being the "rebels" of Spanish football, representing Catalonia against Spanish domination. I was also given to understand that Madrid regularly got injections from the Crown of Spain.

If I'm wrong and someone can put me right on this, I'll hold my hands up and re-evaluate my perceptions. Although the Galacticos policy is obnoxious enough. The current European situation is far from my ideal - I don't want Liverpool winning a sixth European Cup/CL, and I don't want Real winning a 13th either (unless the thing about the number 13 did turn out to be true and they ended up winning fuck-all for the next fifty years). 

• Paid Members

So the FA are considering selling Wembley Stadium to Shahid Khan, the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Yeah... I don't like the notion of one of the biggest draws of our figurehead sport being owned by a potential non-friendly. At all.

My hate list.

1 SISU and Coventry council

2 Manchester United fans who aren't from and have no connection to Manchester, and to a lesser extent the same applies to other clubs

3. Paul Merson

4 Tim Lovejoy

5 International friendlies

6 BANTZ

7 Craig Bellamy

8 He can't be guilty, he plays for my club

9 But our history

10 England fans not grasping that the reasons England don't win anything is because of post empire declinism and Victorian sexual inadequacy and fear of masturbation.

• Paid Members

1) Liverpool

2) City

3) BT Sports

4) Barcelona

5) PSG

6) Chelsea

7) Robbie Savage

8) Carbomb posting in the football thread*

9) The Old Firm

10) Sonny Anderson

* jk

He's at 10.

• Paid Members

1. Dave Whelan

2. John McGinlay

3. Coventry City

4. WBA

5. Villa

6. Liverpool fans and they're God given rights

7. Steve Bruce (ever since his Villa run)

8. Jonathan Hayward

9. Jamie O'Hara

10. Reading

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

2 Manchester United fans who aren't from and have no connection to Manchester, and to a lesser extent the same applies to other clubs

I never got why "to a lesser extent". When United first won the Premiership, that was after 27 years of very little, and just after over twenty years of domination by Liverpool, who were at that point far and away the most successful English club ever, and I never saw or heard a single peep from people about "glory supporters" or "not from there" on the many occasions I'd hear non-Scousers declare their Liverpool fandom.

I also never got the lack of similar vitriol for non-Spaniards who support Real, or non-Italians who support Juve, Inter or Milan.

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

8) Carbomb posting in the football thread*

* jk

He's at 10.

Anyone But Carbomb

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

1 SISU and Coventry council

That's my concern about the Wembley sale.

My own list:

1. Bittersweet Symphony. I never liked it on its own merit but to associate it with England games just screams "Bite the pillow and bear it." Richard Ashcroft taking a bandsaw to his bollocks would be a harmonious release.
  2. Chelsea.
  3. Ronaldo. The most punchable face since Coiln Wanker.
  4. Betting ads. Especially in the "Match about to start but let's squeeze in one last plea from Ray Winstone to tell people to spend money" slot.
  5. Hull. They're still a bogey team 10 years after *that* final.
  6. Soccer AM. Please join Helen in the tar pit.
  7. Leeds United fans. Marks for themselves more than the club.
  8. The further the away game, the more likely it's on during the mid-week.
  9. Away coaches leaving the ground at least two hours earlier than you think they would and getting there two-and-a-half hours with no friendly pubs.
  10. MK Dons and their concrete donkey of a ground. Low down as they're about to be a league below AFC.

1.) West Ham

2.) West Ham

3.) West Ham

4.) West Ham

5.) West Ham

6.) West Ham

7.) West Ham

8.) West Ham

9.) Voldermort. (If you know, you know...CUNT)

10.) Whoever the ref was that didn't allow Pedro Mendes' goal at Old Trafford. I paid £6 for that on Prem Plus you arsehole....ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!

2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I never got why "to a lesser extent". When United first won the Premiership, that was after 27 years of very little

Thanks, you've totally clarified my point.  If "Very little" consists of about 5 FA cups, A European Cup Winners Cup, a European Super Cup, A League Cup in 27 years, practically every English club would take it.  What sets Man Utd glory hunters apart from the rest is that sense of entitlement.  It's also at my number one because one I grew up, there were a lot of Man Utd fans in Coventry who were the dirt worst.  Even in 87 they were hoping Coventry would lose in every round of the FA Cup because they hated the idea of a little team who beat their almighty getting a cup they didn't deserve.

Archived