UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs Hunt - Jun 11

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I expect destruction.

Hunt has shown his limitations are too much for him to overcome the very best in the division, but he's usually very effective outside those top fighters - it will be interesting to see if that's the case with this fight. Lewis is also limited but is in his prime, where as Hunt probably isn't. Going on pure ability v ability, Hunt is the more accomplished striker.

I'll go with Lewis, because.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just caught the Main Event. It was a lot of fun. One of those fights where you are glued to every exchange, because you know the end could be imminent at any time. Going into the 2nd round, I felt that Hunt might unravel. By the end of the 2nd round - especially after that elbow landed - I felt the complete opposite.

Despite an awareness that Lewis was still dangerous - which was supported by the odd meaty shot he landed - the momentum was firmly with Hunt. He had to be ahead on the judges's scorecards. Despite only being a few solid shots away from the win, Hunt did a measured job. Lewis's gas tank further ran out, and the leg kicks paid dividends. Lewis also said that he had a back injury. 

Hunt says his career will probably continue. That's a bit of shame, because this would have been a nice way to check out. While I still enjoy watching him fight, there's no one in the UFC at this time who I am dying to see him to fight. Lewis said this was probably his last fight. If he continues, I see him as a modern-day Gary Goodridge - an entertaining gatekeeper - who wins some and loses some. Perhaps takes a decent scalp here and there. I hope he does continue. While he's probably not a world beater, at least he's a relatively fresh face at Heavyweight. 

• Paid Members

Good summation, jim.

I was worried for Lewis when it became apparent he was going to spend the night with his back against the fence. While both men can explode at any moment, I thought the way Hunt stalked Lewis and cut off his options, movement-wise, was more likely to get him the win. Lewis would explode forward every once in a while, but Hunt had the space to move away from his slightly telegraphed weapons. Defensively, though, Lewis spent most of it running left or right, with his back against the cage for most of it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, you can't be doing that against someone like Hunt. He's too experienced for that shit. 

Mixed feelings on the main event. I enjoyed it a lot but it was always going to be bittersweet whoever won and lost. Always happy to see Hunt get the win though. Would've been sad to see him lose right there in his backyard. 

It'll be a shame if the Beast retires now. That really came out of the blue. If you were given a heads up that one of the main eventers was thinking of retiring after this card, you'd instantly assume it would be Mark Hunt. I hope Lewis sticks around, he's a lot of fun to watch. But if that's it it was good while it lasted. 

Got to say I loved the main card of this one. Every fight ended in a finish bar Volkanovski vs Hirota and there were a couple of guys who I thought really emerged on this show as worth keeping a close eye on. 

I thought Ion Cutelaba stole the show. His fight lasted 22 seconds but he just came out of the whole thing looking like such a badass killer. Everything from the staredown at the start, getting right in Da Silva's face before the intros then the fight itself. He just looked like a guy who you'd rather run into oncoming traffic than fight him. 

Ben Nguyen had a hell of a stab at stealing the show himself. He looked like a man possessed. To breeze through someone like Tim Elliott in less than a minute like that is insane. Especially in a division like flyweight which isn't known for fights finishing quickly. He's really made himself stand out from the pack for me with this win. Thought his post-fight interview was pretty great as well. 

Derek Brunson making quick work of Dan Kelly wasn't the result I wanted but it's the one I expected. I like Dan Kelly but I just didn't see him coping with Brunson at all. Brunson to me is a guy on the rise and Kelly is clearly at the end of his athletic career. The timing of it just didn't favour Kelly and the style didn't either, as Kelly's judo would have likely been nullified by Brunson's wrestling. And on the feet Kelly was at a disadvantage. Shit all round for him. 

Fuck, Ross Pearson had a bad night. New Zealand is a hell of a long way to travel to get laid down by a Hooker. 

Seriously, Pearson looks like he's proper on the slide. Always liked him but he looks like a fighter who just hasn't really evolved with the times. He fights now pretty much exactly the same as the day he won TUF 9 back in 2009. Hooker looked good though. That knee was nasty. Gumshield went flying and everything. 

As much as I liked the main event and agreed with the criticism of the undercard going in, I came out of it thinking more about the Cutelaba, Nguyen and Hooker finishes than the Hunt vs Lewis fight. 

That honestly was probably my favourite card of the year so far. Not on paper of course, but certainly in practice. 

I worry about Pearson too. He fought way to often in 2016. Fighting 5 times and going 1w 4l. The UFC probably told him to take a break after that. So he does but his comeback fight ends brutally. I think he has enough goodwill and name value that even with a few more losses he won't be cut. He can't be happy though.

Lewis I've never really got on the bandwagon. He says stupid shit like he can't be bothered learning a jab or proper defence. Sooner or later he was going to face someone like Hunt who was gonna make him pay for that.

• Paid Members

It goes to show that no matter how little anticipation there is over some of these cards going in, they can often deliver in the excitement department. Incredible finishes by Cutelaba, Nguyen and Hooker. They really helped themselves with those performances. 

Brunson needed a performance like that to make himself relevant again after the poor performance against Anderson (even though he probably didnmore than Silva and should have got the W), and the head scratching game plan against Whittaker, this put's him back in the thick of things. A re-match with Jacare or maybe a fight with David Branch might be the way to go next.

I sincerely hope Lewis is joking about retiring! He can't go yet :( This de-railed him a little bit, but in the HW division he would probably only be 1 good win away from a title shot, considering who Stipe has already beaten, and with Cain's health always being up in the air. It's given Ngannou the keys to the kingdom though, as the only remaining hot property on the rise in the HW division if he can keep on a roll in his next fight or two. 

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, Mark Hunt's sons. The big one is massive. I thought he was just one of Hunt's cornermen until Stann asked him a question. 

And the younger son, fucking hell he's a clone of his old man, isn't he? 

image.jpg

JJ Aldrich (116lbs, 4-2) vs. Chan-Mi Jeon (118lbs, 5-0) was a fine opener to get the people warmed up. It was a pure striking battle with neither fighter attempting to take things to the ground. Both women looked capable, although they both have room to improve, especially Jeon, with Aldrich having the edge throughout and getting the unanimous decision victory.
Five Word Review: Acceptable fare as an opener.

At the start if the FS1 prelims, we are remidnedthat we are fighting under the new unified rules.

Kiichi Kunimoto (170lbs, 18-6-2 1 NC) vs. Zak Ottow (171lbs, 14-4) saw Ottow look the better fighter, with superior footwork and being stronger, but Kunimoto hanging in there to make a fight of it. Kunimoto came on strong in the third round with a well timed takedown early on to control Ottow for almost the entire round, but Ottow reversed things late on, although Kunimoto got a nice guillotine right as the round ended. Ottow was never out of the fight but Ottow was just too good for him. Ottow got the win by split decision, which was a little strange given how the fight played out.
Five Word Review: Fine encounter if somewhat unassuming.

John Moraga (126lbs, 16-6) vs. Ashkan Mokhtarian (125lbs, 13-1) saw Moraga put in a great showing, his wrestling and grappling just being too much for Mokhtarian to do much against. Mokhtarian put on a spirited defence but he was never in this fight, Moraga being a class, or two, above him.
Five Word Review: A dominating showing from Moraga.

Luke Jumeau (170lbs, 11-3) vs. Dominique Steele (170.5lbs, 14-8) was our first really competitive fight of the nights; Steele looked strong with his wrestling early, then Jumeau came back with his striking as the advantage went back and forth as the fight went on. It was close, but Jumeau did more damage, rocking Steele in the second and third rounds, and it was enough for him to get the unanimous decision victory.
Five Word Review: A highly competitive welterweight contest.

Damien Brown (155lbs, 17-9) vs. Vinc Pichel (156lbs, 9-1) saw our first finish of the night, with a slow start from Pichel, who was coming back after a lengthy absence, before he caught Brown on the backfoot with a short right uppercut that dropped him; a few more punches from Pichel and it was over.
Five Word Review: Slow start; an explosive finish.

Alexander Volkanovski (145lbs, 14-1) vs. Mizuto Hirota (146lbs, 18-7-2) was a good fight with Volkanovski dominating for large stretches, punctuated with Hirota making the occasional comeback. Hirota took some good shots and kept going, showing a good chin and heart, but he had real trouble with the speed and striking of Volkanovski. The fight went the distance, with Volkanovski getting 30-27 scores on all three scorecards.
Five Word Review: Volkanovski establishes himself at featherweight.

Tim Elliott (126lbs, 14-7-1) vs. Ben Nguyen (126lbs, 15-6) was short, sweet, and saw Nguyen get the back of Elliot off of a kimura attempt; Nguyen then quickly got the hooks, the arm under the chin, and a rear naked choke, and Elliot tapped out in just 49-seconds to give Nguyen the biggest win of his career in what was a major upset.
Five Word Review: Nguyen makes a major statement.

Ion Cutelaba (204lbs, 12-3) vs. Henrique da Silva (206lbs, 12-2) saw Cutelaba walk right through da Silva, landing a big punch early that dropped de Silva, Cutelaba then punching de Silva into unconsciousness in a scant 22-seconds.
Five Word Review: Cutelaba wasted no time here.

Dan Hooker (156lbs, 13-7) vs. Ross Pearson (155lbs, 19-13) was a real good slugfest, with Hooker looking good in the first and Pearson coming on real strong in the second, using lots of head movement and great timing to light Hooker up...and then he moved in for a punch and Hooker hit a jumping knee, right up the middle and Pearson was knocked silly. It was a good fight whilst it lasted, and the hometown hero comes good. Hooker moves up the ladder and Pearson may not be long for the UFC, or the sport, because his slide continues.
Five Word Review: Hometown hero hits the spot.

Derek Brunson (186lbs, 16-5) vs. Dan Kelly (186lbs, 13-1) was always likely to end it early, and it  did, with Brunson cracking Kelly with a big overhand left just over a minute into the fight. It silenced the crowd but it was always the most likely outcome. Despite the early finish, Brunson showed some patience, and hopefully is back on his way up the middleweight ladder.
Five Word Review: Another quick and brutal finish.

Derrick Lewis (265lbs, 18-4) vs. Mark Hunt (265lbs, 12-11-1) went a lot longer than most people thought it would, this fight being contested at a methodical, bordering on slow pace. The fight was actually rather boring and the only real excitement was the threat of something happening rather than anything actually happening. Lewis tired early and was backing up for much of the fight and it was exhaustion more than anything else that cost him the fight, Lewis getting stopped in the fourth when he was getting punched and was too tired rather than too hurt to offer any defence. It was a disappointing fight and a disappointing result, all compounded with what sure sounded like Lewis calling time on his career.
Five Word Review: Slow and plodding heavyweight action.

This card didn’t generate much excitement going into it. It took a while to finally get going, but eventually, this card did deliver on the excitement, although it ended on a rather flat note.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Oh yeah, Mark Hunt's sons. The big one is massive. I thought he was just one of Hunt's cornermen until Stann asked him a question. 

And the younger son, fucking hell he's a clone of his old man, isn't he? 

image.jpg

logan.jpg

• Paid Members

I would so love it if his son really was called Boba Hunt.

Anyway, disappointing to hear about Lewis; the HW division really needs him right now. I guess his form always flattered to deceive, but it would've been good to see someone as rough-cut as him challenging Stipe for the belt.

• Paid Members

We've still got Francis Ngannou. 

As much as I'm a fan of Derrick Lewis and find him entertaining as fuck in cage and out, I've felt for a while that Ngannou is the brighter prospect of the two. It's early but I've got a good feeling about him. 

• Paid Members

Mark Hunt post-fight press conference. Talks about the win over Beast last night, PEDs in MMA, the loss to Overeem, fighting in New Zealand, food, his book, a bunch of topics. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ziYA-Nb0Gk

Love Hunt. I've got loads of favourite fighters but Hunt is easily in my Top 5 all-time. What a career.  

He mentioned there that there's a documentary in the works. Can't wait for that. If you haven't read his book 'Born To Fight' yet I'd highly recommend it. One of the best MMA autobiographies I've read and for a man who hasn't always had a lot to say, he's really open about his personal life and career in the book. Get hold of it. 

He also said he wants a rematch with JDS in Japan in September. Last I heard though, they're working on JDS vs Ngannou. 

• Paid Members
On 6/11/2017 at 11:13 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Fuck, Ross Pearson had a bad night. New Zealand is a hell of a long way to travel to get laid down by a Hooker. 

Seriously, Pearson looks like he's proper on the slide. Always liked him but he looks like a fighter who just hasn't really evolved with the times. He fights now pretty much exactly the same as the day he won TUF 9 back in 2009. Hooker looked good though. That knee was nasty. Gumshield went flying and everything.  

Pretty sure he moved to Australia to live there with his wife Kristie Pearson (the ring girl):

pearson.jpg

Archived