UFC 212: Aldo vs Holloway

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Could Aldo not change weight division and either go to Lightweight and fight any of the top 15 fighters like Eddie Alvarez, Nurmagomedov, Ferguson, Barboza etc and maybe he beats a few of the top ten you give him a fight against McGregor.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fuck you all. I'm still an Aldo fan. I get why people find his grumpiness and seeming less than gracious in defeat but I think Aldo gets shit on a bit much. And I think it's partly because he loves a whinge (fair enough), partly because he pulled out of a lot of fights injured (which I'll always maintain is bollocks. Where is/was the hate for Cain and Cruz?), but mostly because he was McGregor's arch nemesis. I loved Aldo's streak from WEC up until the McGregor loss. It was a hell of a run. 

But...

I'm chuffed for Holloway. It's great to see because we've followed his journey pretty much from the very beginning when he came in at 19 (I think) and gave a fantastic effort in defeat against Dustin Poirier. He's just got better and better since then. He's a guy whose losses always seem to make him better. After the Poirier loss he came back strong. After the close decision loss to Bermudez (which I scored for Max), he came back better. Then he lost to McGregor in 2013 and not only came back improved again, he hasn't lost since and is now the undisputed champ. And the mad thing is, he's a seasoned veteran fighter now but he's still only 25! 

It's got to be Hollaway vs Edgar next. Nothing else makes sense, it's another tremendous fight but a completely different kind of test for Holloway. Perfect. 

Claudia Gadelha steaming through Kowalkiewicz surprised me a bit. I was sure we were in for an evenly matched, close decision. Gadelha just got off to a strong start and there was no stopping her. I guess we hadn't really seen Kowalkiewicz up against a really physically strong ground fighter either. So it shouldn't be that much of a shock. The problem now is, as much as Gadelha is clearly the second best fighter in the division, she's 0-2 to Joanna and it all just feels too fresh. I'm not against a third fight, even with the current scoreline. Fuck it. Gadelha is deserving and it wasn't like she was dominated in her previous too fights with Joanna. But it does seem too soon. It seems like they're thinking Jedrzejczyk vs Namajunas next, which I like. But fuck knows, what that leaves for Gadelha. 

Wasn't in love with Belfort vs Marquardt. Just had the feel of a fight that should've happened in 2009. It probably would've been really good then. It had its moments but there was just too much standing around. Not surprised Belfort's abandoned the retirement talk. He seems like one of those guys who's going to find it hard to step away. Be interesting to see where he ends up though. According to Dana he owes them one more fight, after that I can see him in Bellator. It just seems like the right fit for him at this point. In 2017, he should be fighting the Wanderleis and Chaels, not the Romeros and Whittakers. 

Loved Borrachina vs Bamgbose. Wild fight. Did exactly what it said on the tin. 

Disappointed to see Marlon Moraes come up short on his debut. Assuncao was always going to be tricky though.

Really enjoyed the Shoeface fight as well. Good stuff. 

• Paid Members

Noah - Thing is, going purely on his physique, he looked in tremendous shape. I'll need to watch the fight again, but it did seem odd Aldo seemed to be moving in slow motion as soon as the third started. No idea if that was due to cardio or Holloway catching him with something to slow him down. The one attribute that seemed to be making the difference was his clear speed advantage, but that vanished the second the third started, which made life easier for Holloway, who was slowly figuring Aldo out.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

Holloway's entire mood changed when he came out for the third round. He went from deadly serious to smiling and relaxed, almost as if he'd figured Aldo out or was otherwise confident that the fight was his.

yeh, there was a huge momentum shift. I don't even know if it was a case of Aldo gassing out, it just felt like Holloway got his timing down and simply took over. I think Holloway going all 'McGregor' at the end of round 2 was the turning point, it felt like Holloway was saying 'ive taken your best, now it's my turn' and he simply took over. Incredible performance.

You have to question why Aldo wasn't using leg kicks though, he was in range all night and Stann pointed out how Holloway had been open for kicks in previous fights. Did he even throw one?

Rest of the card was decent, nothing bad really.

* Gadelha was super impressive. That warrants an instant rematch with Joanna for me, she took a lady Joanna went to war with for 5 rounds and ended her in a round. 115 is a very bare division with only 2-3 credible contenders, chuck Claudia back in there.

* Belfort/Marquadt was passable and evenly matched. Belfort's a weird one, despite the lack of TRT and him getting up in age, when he lets them fly he doesn't look too different to how he ever did, still has impressive speed. Vitor being overly patient has been something that has plagued his career too, not so much recently but if Vitor doesn't see that oppurtunity to flurry he tends to get in long drawn out fights. Going forward i'd like to see him goto Bellator and battle it out with the veterans there.

* Borrachinha/Bambgose more than justified its spot on the main card, i love crazy, chaotic fights and this was one. Always have time for someone like Bambgose who does things a little different, what a maniac. Borranchinha looks a bit of a beast doesn't he.

* Yancy Medeiros looked great, one of the true unsung fighters on the roster, never in a dull fight. Erick Silva continues to flonder but despite never fulfilling his initial promise you can never accuse him of being in a dull fight either, i'll always tune in for an Erick Silva fight.

* The one disappointment on the show was probably Assuncao/Moraes. Not terrible but it felt like a glorified sparring match. It felt as if they had way too much respect for each other and in round 3 when the low blows and the fight finished both seemed to realise 'hang on, we were meant to be fighting there'. Still, the scorecard was bogus. How the hell did they score it for Assuncao? (one judge had 30-27). I might have been homering for Moraes but Assuncao didn't do anything in rounds 2 & 3. I thought Moraes won comfortably.

* Shout out for Brian Kelleher who submitted Iuri Alcantara (which was strange) then cut a heel promo on the Brazilians, great work.

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

You have to question why Aldo wasn't using leg kicks though, he was in range all night and Stann pointed out how Holloway had been open for kicks in previous fights. Did he even throw one?

André Pederneiras gave an interview in Portuguese were this was brought up. His response raises more questions than it answers;

"A lot of people asked me where were his kicks, but according to Holloway's positioning on the fight, there was a risk of Aldo falling backwards after kicking."

That's a poorly thought out cover story if ever there was one. Aldo had plenty of openings for leg kicks. For whatever reason, he just never took them. Whether we'll find out the real reason remains to be seen.

• Paid Members

I noticed he wasn't kicking as well. And I thought it might be a leg injury. I guess that might explain him tiring faster as well if he had a bad wheel in camp that hindered his cardio training. 

But I don't know. Usually, Brazilian camps are more than happy to come out with excuses when their guys lose so you'd think if Aldo was hurt, Pederneiras would jump at the chance to say so publicly. 

Whatever the case, Holloway deserves the credit. He got through a couple of dicey moments, stayed composed, adjusted and figured Aldo out, then stopped him. In Brazil. He was brilliant. 

5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I noticed he wasn't kicking as well. And I thought it might be a leg injury. I guess that might explain him tiring faster as well if he had a bad wheel in camp that hindered his cardio training. 

But I don't know. Usually, Brazilian camps are more than happy to come out with excuses when their guys lose so you'd think if Aldo was hurt, Pederneiras would jump at the chance to say so publicly.

When the real reason comes out, I'm going to take a guess and say it'll be something that could be seen to reflect badly on either Aldo or Pederneiras. Whether it actually should be is another matter, but I think that's how they see it, so they're trying to blame it on something else. That said, I still don't get giving an excuse that so obviously doesn't hold water.

• Paid Members

Rogan reckoned it was because Holloway was probably training for all the leg kicks, so Aldo's camp decided to not do it to mess up Holloway.

Not sure I agree with him, mind, but it's a theory. Certainly, it took Holloway a few rounds to figure out Aldo.

6 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Rogan reckoned it was because Holloway was probably training for all the leg kicks, so Aldo's camp decided to not do it to mess up Holloway.

If that really was their strategy, it was a very bad one, and I can see why they would try and place the blame elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Thing is, for that sort of thing to be effective, surely the goal is to throw the occasional kick (or even feint) to keep Holloway guessing. Come the third Holloway seemed to know what was up.

That's true. Which means the safest bet is that, for whatever reason, Aldo couldn't throw leg kicks. And whatever that reason is, they want to keep it under wraps.

• Paid Members
On 6/3/2017 at 2:33 PM, Egg Shen said:

True, but until McGregor stops pissing around with the boxing thing, this is what has to happen. 

You mean until McGregor stops using boxing to keep himself in the news whilst having time off to be a parent!? :p:p

Has Aldo lost his chin? Stopped twice in his last three fights. You've got question what a brutal knockout like the one Mcgregor gave him does to the human body. Maybe he wont be the same again.

Archived