UFC 212: Aldo vs Holloway

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've not followed the build-up at all. I've not watched any of the preview shows, or read any expert analysis. However, the Main Even sells itself purely on who is involved. It's a purist's dream. They are the two best Featherweights in the world. One is an all-time great, and arguably in the top 5 MMA fighters of all-time. The other is coming in with a truck-load of momentum, off the back of 4 years of impressive performances. It's no wonder that the bookies can't split them. 

Personally, I want Holloway to win. I've always had a soft spot for him, and for years I felt he was somewhat underrated. The loss to McGregor created a false impression of Holloway's potential. Since then, he's evolved into the fighter that he promised to be when he debuted in the UFC. Even now, he's still only 25 years old, which shows how much of a greenhorn he was when he first entered the UFC.

It's difficult to look past Aldo though. Any notion that he was a spent force after the McGregor loss was dismissed when he beat Edgar last year. You don't beat Edgar unless you are a world-class operator. Aldo remains the only fighter to have Edgar firmly in his back-pocket (Benson doesn't count as Edgar was ripped off by the judges in his rematch). 

With regret, I slightly favour Aldo to steal it on points. But it should be a fascinating fight to watch. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

fucking hell, Bamgose and Borrachinha got into the swing of it at the weight-in, got me real pumped for that. Can't see it going more than a couple of minutes. Borrachinha is a big fucking dude.

• Paid Members

This'll be a good fight, but I can't get past the fact that McGregor is still the FW champion and has beaten both of these guys and completely smoked Aldo in 13 seconds. I can't view either as champion after this fight - this is for #1 contender.

• Paid Members

McGregor stopped being featherweight champ the day he vacated the featherweight belt. I love McGregor but that's how it works. Like when GSP vacated the welterweight belt, that's his reign done. No-one was saying the winner of Hendricks vs Lawler fight wouldn't be the legit champ. I know the circumstances were different because GSP vacated off a close decision and McGregor vacated off a 13 second KO. I get that, but when you vacate the belt that doesn't mean the champions that follow the title vacation at that weight in the future shouldn't be recognised as such. 

I can see why McGregor having beat both Aldo and Holloway doesn't do this fight any favours but it doesn't take away from my wanting to see this fight one bit. Styles make fights and this one should be great. 

• Paid Members

yeh, i agree. It's just highlighted more this time because it's McGregor. It's the same as if Usain Bolt refuses to run at the 2020 games then afterwards claims he's still the Olympic Champion because no one beat him for the title...if you dont take part, you dont get to keep your title, end of.

It's a bit of a mess but Aldo/Holloway unify tomorrow and if Conor one day decides to come back he can have first crack at them for his old belt.

My only problem with Conor getting stripped of the featherweight title is that it only happened because UFC wanted to have a title fight to headline UFC 206 when the original main event. Cormier vs. Johnson II, fell apart. It's a little off putting that the UFC didn't strip him of the title because he couldn't or wouldn't defend it, but rather so they could make up a title that nobody takes seriously to begin with.

Hang on, Aldo is the 'official' champion isn't he? Because the UFC stripped Conor of the belt due to his fannying around. So there isn't three champions at all. I sort of see what you mean Herbie, seeing Conor as the champion because he wasn't beaten for it,  but by that logic GSP is still the Welterweight champion. Except that he isn't. (EDIT: Just saw that wandshogun had made this point also).

Unless I completely dreamt the UFC stripping Conor of the Featherweight belt, and he is still champion. 

I stillthink that McGregor caught Aldo with a lucky shot that night and don't buy into his 13seconds hype. Don't get me wrong, Conor is a great fighter, he's proven that. But if he didn't land that shot, I'm not convinced that Aldo wouldn't have leg kicked him in oblivion 

I hate interim belts. They're fucking stupid

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

McGregor stopped being featherweight champ the day he vacated the featherweight belt.

He never vacated it - he made that clear numerous times. Whereas GSP did vacate the belt. So that's 2 different scenarios. Conor is still fighting. GSP took a break.

Archived